Official Match Day Thread: Roosters V Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
    During the Broadcast the commentator was saying the Chooks biggest half time lead was 41-0 v Canterbury in 1935- I recall being at a Roosters v Souths game in 1996 (Either it was an Easter or Anzac day game) and Chooks led 42-0 at Half time before going onto win 62-0. Salvo was playing for Souths- Fittlers first season and Gus's first full season as coach. Anyone else recall this??
    In the ‘96 Anzac game it was only 20-odd nil at half time, it was the second half where we raced in the tries. Not sure what our biggest half time lead is but we were up 42-0 against the Tigers in 2004 so it sounds like that is our record not the Souths game.

Also Gould coached us in 95.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post
      Do we get to play Brisbane again this year? Suddenly our tough draw doesn't look so tough lol.
      Yes we get Brisbane and Souths again. Now it’s time for Melb and Canberra.

Comment

• The monkey has been throat ****ed and then hung.

Chook.

Comment

• Hard to be critical of a 59-0 score line but plenty for us to work on too.

Our short kicking game last night was abysmal. 3 times they caught it on the full in goal for a 7 tackle restart? Struggled to get short kicks through the defensive line at times, Payne Hass caught two if I remember correctly.

Right edge defence looks uncertain without Cronk & Crichton. Their only linebreak of the game came way too easily down that side.

Our right edge attack still needs a lot of work, building combinations will take time but you can just see there's no cohesion there at the moment.

This is not to be a negative nancy I think everyone has already covered what was brilliant about last night, what's exciting for me is there's a lot of improvement to come on top of last nights great performance.

Comment

• “They were hungry at half time, still hungry at the end, and hungry enough to keep a zero.” - King Robbo

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
              Hard to be critical of a 59-0 score line but plenty for us to work on too.

Our short kicking game last night was abysmal. 3 times they caught it on the full in goal for a 7 tackle restart? Struggled to get short kicks through the defensive line at times, Payne Hass caught two if I remember correctly.

Right edge defence looks uncertain without Cronk & Crichton. Their only linebreak of the game came way too easily down that side.

Our right edge attack still needs a lot of work, building combinations will take time but you can just see there's no cohesion there at the moment.

This is not to be a negative nancy I think everyone has already covered what was brilliant about last night, what's exciting for me is there's a lot of improvement to come on top of last nights great performance.
              Its hard to be critical with a shutout like that.

Putting on the Coaches hat, the area Id be looking at is getting the outside runner to always use the winger in space i.e. let the ball hit the space when its created. JMoz bombed a certain try with not using quick hands to Toups. Angus didnt release Halldog who would have had fresh air and only a covering fullback to beat.

I know we play a very physical game and guys are primed to bust tackles, but I love to see the ball do the work esp on those far edges to capitalise on our great middle yardage and clever ballwork.

Comment

• I hear SieFraud has been approached by Souffs to be one of the ballboys

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Its hard to be critical with a shutout like that.

Putting on the Coaches hat, the area Id be looking at is getting the outside runner to always use the winger in space i.e. let the ball hit the space when its created. JMoz bombed a certain try with not using quick hands to Toups. Angus didnt release Halldog who would have had fresh air and only a covering fullback to beat.

I know we play a very physical game and guys are primed to bust tackles, but I love to see the ball do the work esp on those far edges to capitalise on our great middle yardage and clever ballwork.
                  Poor old Halldog is destined never to score a try for us

Comment

• Would've loved them to hit 60! But I guess giving them their worst beating ever will do.

Agree short kicking game is still not great. Jake did a good one for himself last week, but his dummy half kicks generally don't end up well. And yes, I'd like to see more of Verrills too. Don't want to lose another good player because they don't get enough game time.

Poor Ryan Hall! I am cheering him on every start he gets but he just doesn't seem to get the opportunities to show what he is supposedly capable of....231 tries for Leeds, 36 tries for England, still on a duck for us.

Comment

• maybe the broncos were extra crap, but it was the first time we haven't let the foot off the pedal. scored 5 tries in both halves without conceding any.

didn't have our kicking boots on when attacking their line. you never kick a bomb into the in goal but when you do you give the ball enough height so at least there's a contest.

Comment

• you don't want to put the boot into a team when they're down, but should the broncos be disbanded? have everything going for them but haven't won a comp in a dozen years. have been humiliated in 2 of their last 5 games. clearly they're wasting their natural advantages. we need 2 teams in Brisbane but the broncs are like a weed that doesn't allow anything else to grow. apply the weed killer; the garden will flourish.

Comment

• Just saw on verills Instagram where the boys slept last night, looked like a warehouse with spaced out air mattresses.

Robbos a tough master, "allright lads you did good, now back in the kennels" lol

Comment

• Originally posted by zac View Post
                            you don't want to put the boot into a team when they're down, but should the broncos be disbanded? have everything going for them but haven't won a comp in a dozen years. have been humiliated in 2 of their last 5 games. clearly they're wasting their natural advantages. we need 2 teams in Brisbane but the broncs are like a weed that doesn't allow anything else to grow. apply the weed killer; the garden will flourish.
                            They've definitely taken the underachievers tag off the warriors

Comment

• Any news on Rad’s injury anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hollus View Post

In the ‘96 Anzac game it was only 20-odd nil at half time, it was the second half where we raced in the tries. Not sure what our biggest half time lead is but we were up 42-0 against the Tigers in 2004 so it sounds like that is our record not the Souths game.

Also Gould coached us in 95.
                                yeh I was meaning first full season with Fittler - actually Gus coached in 1994 last 3 games after Murray was punted - mmm wrong game - yeh the Wests game was a night game at Campbelltown - 40 -0 at half time so 41-0 against Canterbury in 1935 is the record still.
                                Last edited by King Salvo; 06-06-2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X