NRL WAGS at BLM protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crab View Post

Without being trite what exactly is this about ? It has come about since the tragic death of George Floyd obviously , but it's a really strange gesture considering the manner of his death.
    Yes agree , at first I thought it was ok but now it seems like bowing and asking for forgiveness , no one is better than any other , vermin may be an exception though

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

It took 4 days to charge the cop in the Floyd case...a record I think!

But apparently the riots and killing of police and shop owners that continued thereafter was the right response.

There...I spoked woke!
      I'm old can someone please explain what this woke crap is ,

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post

Refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice. It is derived from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

I would prefer to call it 'asleep' than woke given the way its disciples abuse it.

'Go Woke, go broke as they say.

Comment

Refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice. It is derived from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

I would prefer to call it 'asleep' than woke given the way its disciples abuse it.

At least it doesn’t come with a bloody #
          FVCK CANCER

Comment

• Coats woke
            ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

• Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
              Coats woke
              How dare you!

Comment

Thanks Jack , so they are more enlightened than most or so they think

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post

The term "woke" simply refers to not being asleep, not being ignorant to the issues that plague black America—racism, crooked cops, the broken justice system, unfair hiring practices etc.

Theres nothing sinister in the term. Some people feel threatened by it & use it as a slur. For them they prefer others to stay asleep to the issues. So be it

Comment

• i don't think our players getting down on their knee is endorsing anything in the US that offends the political correctness of some. that's a long bow. at worst any connection is inadvertent. in one game the boys all stood together near the centre of the field united v racism or black deaths in custody or sympathy for some black guy being killed with a knee to his neck or whatever. if getting down on one knee upsets some people then standing together is the way to go.

the game's changed since a lot of us first started watching it. every team has a handful of polynesians. it's not pie in the sky political correctness that the boys are advocating - you'd guess some of them, even if they haven't experienced a lot of racism themselves, are happy to take some time out to make the point that we are all brothers.

also, yes, if you're an aborigine in prison you're no more likely to die in prison than a white person. but if you're born an aborigine you're 10 times more likely to die in custody than a white person cos you're 10 times more likely to go to prison. it's a problem here. i don't know if the problem is cos of racism, but i do know that it's a problem.

also, the use of the word 'woke' or 'racist' depends on who's using it. some things described as woke are good, some are bad. some things described as racist are, some aren't.

Comment

• I am more offended by the Americanism ‘take a knee’ infiltrating our lexicon. Isn’t it a gridiron term?
                      ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

• Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
                        I am more offended by the Americanism ‘take a knee’ infiltrating our lexicon. Isn’t it a gridiron term?
                        Yeah I think the term annoys me most too. Maybe, as Zac said, if they want to play band of brothers, standing together should suffice.

Comment

• Originally posted by zac View Post
                          i don't think our players getting down on their knee is endorsing anything in the US that offends the political correctness of some. that's a long bow. at worst any connection is inadvertent. in one game the boys all stood together near the centre of the field united v racism or black deaths in custody or sympathy for some black guy being killed with a knee to his neck or whatever. if getting down on one knee upsets some people then standing together is the way to go.

the game's changed since a lot of us first started watching it. every team has a handful of polynesians. it's not pie in the sky political correctness that the boys are advocating - you'd guess some of them, even if they haven't experienced a lot of racism themselves, are happy to take some time out to make the point that we are all brothers.

also, yes, if you're an aborigine in prison you're no more likely to die in prison than a white person. but if you're born an aborigine you're 10 times more likely to die in custody than a white person cos you're 10 times more likely to go to prison. it's a problem here. i don't know if the problem is cos of racism, but i do know that it's a problem.

also, the use of the word 'woke' or 'racist' depends on who's using it. some things described as woke are good, some are bad. some things described as racist are, some aren't.
                          Stop it Zac. Don't you realise such complex issues need to be simplified into er....black and white, left and right, politically correct and freedom of speech, woke and...unwoke?? I wish it was so so simple.
                          I wonder is it ok for fellow indigenous Aussie athletes to protest by huddling together, kneeing or whatever against the disgusting racial tweet against Eddie Betts?

Comment

Yes 100 % correct. But deliberately ignored and misrepresented by the "mainstream" media.

The fact that 27 % the incarcerated population is of indigenous descent is something we can all agree is appalling. As is the fact that 70 % of this group have been convicted of violent crimes, a great many committed against the perpetrators' own partners and family members. 23 % of all partner homicides involve indigenous offenders.

I don't claim to know how to fix this, not sure anyone does. But saying it is all due to "systemic racism" is plainly false and completely unhelpful to anybody. Just as it would be plainly false to say there are no racist cops, or that indigenous Australians are not sometimes arrested and locked up (briefly) for trivial reasons like swearing at police. But the vast majority are in there , just as the non indigenous, for violent crimes.

94% of incarcerated Australians are male. Of course this must be due to systematic sexism?

Comment

• Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post
                              Stop it Zac. Don't you realise such complex issues need to be simplified into er....black and white, left and right, politically correct and freedom of speech, woke and...unwoke?? I wish it was so so simple.
                              I wonder is it ok for fellow indigenous Aussie athletes to protest by huddling together, kneeing or whatever against the disgusting racial tweet against Eddie Betts?
                              haha, guess at least we can all unite in our support for the mighty roosters.

daren't ask about your mum; hope your son is navigating the problems thrown at him.

Comment

i don't think our players getting down on their knee is endorsing anything in the US that offends the political correctness of some. that's a long bow. at worst any connection is inadvertent. in one game the boys all stood together near the centre of the field united v racism or black deaths in custody or sympathy for some black guy being killed with a knee to his neck or whatever. if getting down on one knee upsets some people then standing together is the way to go.

If you are aboriginal and 10 times more likely to go to jail then maybe you should stop doing 10 times more crime.

Just sayin.
                                FVCK CANCER

Comment

Working...
                                X