Opposition gameplan against us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposition gameplan against us

Hey lads, awesome win tonight by our boys! So many positives to take out of it however I just wanted to point out a potential negative. Over the last few weeks it has become apparent how opposition teams gameplan against us, through shifting the ball side to side in the early tackles and get our line moving side to side. Feels like every game I am watching I see teams moving us around early and trying to pounce on our defence out wide, which leads to mini breaks and what not. Obviously this is a credit to our middles and show that opposition teams feel like they won't be able to take us down the middle and roll our pack so they feel their best opportunity against us is to spread the ball. Obviously we trust in Robbo to combat this game plan as he is the best defensive coach in the NRL...

I like watching teams play like that and it’s a credit to our defence
    ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

I think Manu is going to be facing a lot of traffic in the remaining games. When the opposition attack swings out wide towards Josh Morris a have a comfortable feeling....but when it heads towards Manu i have an uneasy feeling! When Manu is firing his defence is brutal.....but he can also be indecisive and be caught out- like he did tonight.

Comment

We need to be able to handle offloads with more composure and better structure as I have noticed us in disarray and panic often after a couple of offloads.
        “Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead”- (Baha’u’llah)

Comment

Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post
          I think Manu is going to be facing a lot of traffic in the remaining games. When the opposition attack swings out wide towards Josh Morris a have a comfortable feeling....but when it heads towards Manu i have an uneasy feeling! When Manu is firing his defence is brutal.....but he can also be indecisive and be caught out- like he did tonight.
          Yeah totally agree. Manu is slowly getting back to his old defensive habits - in the last 3 weeks he has missed 12 tackles. To be fair to him though his combination on that right edge has been all over the place this year, with different backrowers, wingers and halves next to him so I'll give him that. Just hope now our right edge can be solidified with Gus, Flano, Manu and Bmoz and continue those combos into finals

Comment

Tigers mainly tried this when Sitili was forced into the centres after Ikuvalu injury. Ditto other games with Sitili in the centres. That problem will solve itself when Tupou comes back.

Other side of the field still a problem. I have said this before that too much blame being put on Manu who is clearly standing in marginally tighter to protect Flanagan. I suspect Robbo still has a tactical card to play as he did to protect busted Cronk in the 2018 grand final. Let the opposition believe that is our weakness and then screw up their entire game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
              I like watching teams play like that and it’s a credit to our defence
              I agree with this.
              MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
              is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
              with that attitude. I can assure you it is
              much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

"Originally posted by Random Rooster

When Manu is firing his defence is brutal."

His attack is also brutal when he is firing.

Is there any centre in the NRL who is perfect, that you would like to swap for him?

Brutal in attack and brutal in defence. That will do me. And he is a proven finals performer.

Comment

Originally posted by roostermcgregor View Post

His attack is also brutal when he is firing.

Is there any centre in the NRL who is perfect, that you would like to swap for him?

Brutal in attack and brutal in defence. That will do me. And he is a proven finals performer.
                  Im not having a go at him- i'm just stating some facts. He has been caught out in defence the last few weeks and opposition teams will be directing their attack on his side. He has had a history with defensive lapses- and he has rectified them and i sure he will get it right come the big games.

Comment

Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post

Im not having a go at him- i'm just stating some facts. He has been caught out in defence the last few weeks and opposition teams will be directing their attack on his side. He has had a history with defensive lapses- and he has rectified them and i sure he will get it right come the big games.
                    agreed, tonight there was a lazy arm hanging out there

Comment

Poor defence from Joey is nothing new. It happens every week. Also early in the game he sprinted out of the line and created an overlap. If BJs bro didn’t drop the ball they probably score.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterchook View Post
                        We need to be able to handle offloads with more composure and better structure as I have noticed us in disarray and panic often after a couple of offloads.
                        offloads has always been our biggest crack in our defense system. We have a very compact and structured defense usually with 2-3 players in the tackle trying to slow the ruck down but after a few offloads we become vulnerable.

Comment

May work against a roosters side with nine players out. Not when we are at full strength. There won't be embarrassing breaks through the middle like we have seen recently.

Having said that, Joey is a worry. Not having Cronk next to him makes a big difference.

Comment

Manu just has to work on not letting his opposite get on the outside of him.. We are taught that from an early age. Push them back inside is ok, once they get on the outside, the overlap comes into play because the winger has to come in. Manu is not far off his best. He seems like a player that gets better as the year rolls on, just like the team.
                            Sickie Lame .... King of Bestiality

Comment

Not sure if its a game plan or as Dice suggested just a reaction to our edges being shot to bits over the past few weeks.

The Titans did it a few weeks too when we had 3 middle forwards out on the edges.

I actually thought our edges were fairly strong last night, it was some breaks up the middle that were of real concern.

Comment

Working...
                              X