The Intangibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intangibles

Read on the friday DT an article about the Riff - how the genesis of current team was their 2015 Holden Cup team which makes up 7 of the current FG squad including Cleary and Jerome Luai.

Article talks about it's similarity to the great Man U team of the 90's where 7 of their squad came from their champion junior side blah blah and then all the stuff about being mates, flatting together, the comraderie and playing for each since young blah blah etc

Then I looked up the Easts 2016 Holden Cup side which beat the Riff in that memorable GF (which included some of their 2015 players) and notice that our current FG squad has 5 of them: Manu, Butcher, Faumasilli, Radley and Toupinua. But of course a team of latte sipping sombrero wearing softies would never have mateship, soul, spirit, comraderie, never say die attitude.

Nah.. we've got something better. Our blokes live by the Roosters Way. Much better.

Could well be a 2016 Easts Holden Cup winners v 2015 Penrith Holden Cup winners GF.

Easts to win.

Wait till they get 1 injury, let alone a dozen

Comment

Originally posted by chopstiks View Post
      Wait until they have to play a full strength side who can actually defend and attack better than them.
      They are in for a rude shock come semis.

Comment

I think a lot of our success as a club goes back to when Gus came here and transformed us from a transit lounge with players coming for the dollars to developing young talent from within thanks to a great scouting and recruitment strategy.
        That great side from 2002 -2004 was littered with young blokes who played together.
        I know his much maligned 5 year plan at the Panthers has been heavily knocked but his implementation of the academy is bearing fruition now.
        He can be a divisive and over bearing figure but only a fool wouldn't recognise his ability to build up the grassroots level at a club.
        Vlandys is a smart operator and earmarked him to unearth all that great talent in New Zealand to build up the warriors.
        I have long wondered why the titans didn't do the same as they have a smorgasbord of talent up on the Goldy that they have never used and allowed other clubs to come and pilfer the cream.
        We have become a powerhouse in the game because we identify great young players and take care of them and bring them up in the roosters way and they are happy to be here receiving topnotch coaching and playing alongside the best in the business.

Comment

They are a good team. Fun to watch and they play hard. Melb v Easts GF with the riff to be knocked out in the prelims

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post
            I think a lot of our success as a club goes back to when Gus came here and transformed us from a transit lounge with players coming for the dollars to developing young talent from within thanks to a great scouting and recruitment strategy.
            That great side from 2002 -2004 was littered with young blokes who played together.
            I know his much maligned 5 year plan at the Panthers has been heavily knocked but his implementation of the academy is bearing fruition now.
            He can be a divisive and over bearing figure but only a fool wouldn't recognise his ability to build up the grassroots level at a club.
            Vlandys is a smart operator and earmarked him to unearth all that great talent in New Zealand to build up the warriors.
            I have long wondered why the titans didn't do the same as they have a smorgasbord of talent up on the Goldy that they have never used and allowed other clubs to come and pilfer the cream.
            We have become a powerhouse in the game because we identify great young players and take care of them and bring them up in the roosters way and they are happy to be here receiving topnotch coaching and playing alongside the best in the business.
            I agree Gus did start the turn around. But it was Ricky that had a much bigger influence. He developed a defensive structure that changed the game.
            Alot of that youth you describe was due to Artie not Gus. Also I am not surprised that Penrith are doing better now his meddling has been removed.

I know I sound like a broken record in terms of Gould, but some times he gets too much credit for things he didn't do and he is an asshole as well
            The Internet is a place for posting silly things
            Try and be serious and you will look stupid
            sigpic

Comment

But on a great note it was the 2016 Holden cup team that is going to help something special carry on for a while.
              Love him or hate him but O'Sullivan is responsible for much of that and also the fact that many of that side were blooded against men in the Ron Massey Cup playing for Kingsgrove Colts
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
                But on a great note it was the 2016 Holden cup team that is going to help something special carry on for a while.
                Love him or hate him but O'Sullivan is responsible for much of that and also the fact that many of that side were blooded against men in the Ron Massey Cup playing for Kingsgrove Colts
                Winning that GF while being down 28-6 at HT would give so much confidence to Sitili and Faumasilli. Muscle memory even ?

There was a short video clip with Sitili looking at it with a lot of fondness.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post

Wait until they have to play a full strength side who can actually defend and attack better than them.
                  They are in for a rude shock come semis.
                  Exactly right mate. I think that watching every game. Some of their blokes will get eaten alive. They had to milk their way out of the Tigers wrestle, they were rattled.

Comment

Let the media build them up. I'm confident they won't be able to handle us come finals time!

Comment

Melbourne do it the best & they buy no one of high profile. The Gold Coast will make the top 4 over the next 3 years under Holbrook.
                      The Roosters are a combination of identifying young talent & then going a buying the best player in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Melbourne do it the best & they buy no one of high profile. The Gold Coast will make the top 4 over the next 3 years under Holbrook.
                        The Roosters are a combination of identifying young talent & then going a buying the best player in the game.
                        Whats the difference between us and Melbourne.
                        There are several.
                        - Every player in our squad can think for themselves on the field. Only 6 or 7 max Melbourne players can
                        - Out team is united by integrity . Melboutne is about fear of Bellamy and win at all costs regardless of what you have to do.

Personally I would rather support a team coming last than support Melbourne or any team boached by Bellamy
                        sigpic

Comment

Excellent post, this one. So true.
                          MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                          is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                          with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                          much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Originally posted by chopstiks View Post
                            If they lose Cleary, I reckon they will be stuffed.
                            MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                            is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                            with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                            much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

We have had some great battles with the Panthers through junior reps.

Don’t forget the 2014 SG Ball grand final where Latrell pulled a huge come from behind win for us with 2 brilliant individual tries.

Unfortunately none of this storyline ties in with the image of the Roosters so it will probably never be told.

Comment

Working...
                              X