No announcement yet.

Game management in close games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

game management a problem? you can always do better but i'd like us to make less errors and defend better throughout the game.

Comment

Really interesting topic, because it's been a bugbear of mine for 20 years. Prime example being the 2004 GF when we had so much possession in the second half but we played like headless chooks.

It's only in 18 & 19 when we had Cronk I felt comfortable in tight games but apart from this, I've never felt comfortable in tight games.

I think part of this is the culture of how Easts want to play footy - we don't play conservative forward based low percentage footy like the Dogs. We want to express ourselves and play with a bit of glamour. Its in our DNA and that's why we can make some mistakes, but if it pulls off we could put a cricket score on. eg Friday night: Teddy's long cut out passes and bat ons; Keary's long cut out passes near the opp tryline ala 2018 GF - it came off for Toup's try, but didn't for JAC intercept. It's just the way we play the game I think. Low percentage, high risk but high returns if it comes off and our defence holds them out.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post

That’s funny! I was talking to a non Roosters friend yesterday telling him that a Thurston, Cronk or Smith would have realised that they were a little too far to kick it and he didn’t receive the ball properly to take the kick, would have reacted to the opposition players charge and would have changed it to either spreading the ball to the right or a small up and under, like Cronk used to do and that might have been a better option...

My friend thought I was a little too harsh on Luke, which I wasn’t. Luke’s great but to reach at the level of ‘immortal’, you need to have the ability to react when you’re in the back foot. Perhaps he’s still having problems with his injuries?
        I wasn't too bothered by that one... it was game over already and basically just a hail mary, last ditch effort.

What worried me was one earlier on where he booted the ball into an opposition player on the last tackle, gifting them VERY generous possession when we needed it badly.

Meh. Keary's been good though, I don't wanna talk like he's the one responsible for that loss. We let those player go right through the middle of us sooo many times!

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post
          Our drop kick at the end. Keary should have run it with a grubber to finish it off. He doesnt seem to have eyes up football in him anymore
          He's got it in him alright, he's playing with busted ribs . A lot of injured bodies in our team and others . Its coming down to a battle of the fittest . My heart says we can still get to the Gf and a 3peat, but Penriff , the purple carnts and the slime machine are looking less damaged than us .We won't leave anything on the table that is for sure . That is the roosters way .

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post

The ball was touched. Who knows if it would have gone over?

I also thought Cordner could have charged down Cleary's attempt but turned to protect his head.
            I noticed this too Dice - if Cords had actually been watching the ball, then the charge down was definitely on!

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
              game management a problem? you can always do better but i'd like us to make less errors and defend better throughout the game.
              I agree zac, our defense needs work, and our discipline has been an issue during the past 15 years. The latter has not stopped us, but the former has been uncharacteristically poor of late.
              MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
              is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
              with that attitude. I can assure you it is
              much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Rabid_Rooster View Post

I agree zac, our defense needs work, and our discipline has been an issue during the past 15 years. The latter has not stopped us, but the former has been uncharacteristically poor of late.
                rare to see a first week of the finals where all 4 teams score more than 20 pts. you'd say the new rules are a factor. still, the team that defends best from here on in will do well.

freddy did well but jake's one of our best defenders and more dominant than freddy so him coming back is good. also, in an environment where it's harder to keep your opps to 0 we need to keep our structures and connectedness even if we've let in a try or two and just hang tough.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post
                  Our drop kick at the end. Keary should have run it with a grubber to finish it off. He doesnt seem to have eyes up football in him anymore
                  It was a slow delivery pass that gave Penriff enough time to put pressure on him one millisecond quicker he nails it.
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Cronk would have also been a calm influence at 10-0 up.

Cronk would have demanded calm and played for a repeat set.

Instead we pushed the pass and hand over the pill. Penriff go up field and the rest is history.
                    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by JAF View Post

I noticed this too Dice - if Cords had actually been watching the ball, then the charge down was definitely on!
                      100% he turned left at the last minute and the ball went past him not over him...

Comment

In the Melbourne game, if we had caught the ball from the short kick off we would have won. Also if poor concussed Boyd has played the ball like everyone else does, roll between your feet without the chance of your studs trapping the ball we would have won, or we had got a 50:50 on the knock on no knock on we would have won.

For the Manly game I think Flanno missed a sitter but has more than made up for it since with some great side line kicks

Dare I say there was probably only one person that could have kicked the FG on Friday and he doesnot play for us anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce 38-0 View Post
                          In the Melbourne game, if we had caught the ball from the short kick off we would have won. Also if poor concussed Boyd has played the ball like everyone else does, roll between your feet without the chance of your studs trapping the ball we would have won, or we had got a 50:50 on the knock on no knock on we would have won.

For the Manly game I think Flanno missed a sitter but has more than made up for it since with some great side line kicks

Dare I say there was probably only one person that could have kicked the FG on Friday and he doesnot play for us anymore.
                          Cronk? It would have been close to the limit of his range but he always knew how to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry P is a cheat View Post

Cronk? It would have been close to the limit of his range but he always knew how to get it done.
                            Latrell I think he is referring to mate.

Comment

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lip View Post

Latrell I think he is referring to mate.
                                Oh. I assumed he meant Cronk because he kicked many field goals under pressure in his career.

Comment

Working...
                                X