No announcement yet.

Suaalii article in SMH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't care about these "amazing" prospects, I have seem 1000s of them come and go.
    Don't get me wrong, when they actually run out in a first grade team for the Roosters I will be hoping they set the world on fire, but unless I know them I am not interested on how everyone thinks they are going to go.
    I have seen too many people carry on like pork chops over kids 10 and 12 years old and how they will go all the way
    The Internet is a place for posting silly things
    Try and be serious and you will look stupid
    sigpic

Comment

We have a couple of union boys in Angus and JS... let’s hope they both see themselves staying with the club long term.

Comment

If any of you posters have doubts about Suuali go and head over to our training one day and watch a session. I’ve managed to watch 2 training sessions thus far this year whilst being out with my little boy and I’ll tell you what he does NOT look like a 17 year old... glides across the park so lightly and has filled out really well. He looks the real deal.

Comment

I had my doubts, with all the newspaper articles, but from all reports he is very humble and a good kid. Doubt the media will let up until he does an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Money used to be the big reason? (For example Lote, Rogers and Crack Sniffer).

IMO the games are less and less similar as the years go by though. Forwards and more technical players struggle to transition because the skills are too different. The only ones who thrive are large, athletic backs because League's more physical and requires more running.

Back in the day, Campo popping a goosie was seen as being the most amazing thing ever. Footwork has come a long way and it's developed a lot faster in League because you spend more time running the ball. IMO yawnion developed into a boring, negative game. Whereas League's developed into a more exciting, positive game.
            It used to be a good game and I would watch the tests religiously, but the Wallabies are a joke. Don't get me wrong, the Kiwi's are a great team and have some great players but the Aussie team is not even 2nd grade standard. I watch the odd test and their skill level is pathetic. It's obvious they now get the third tier athletes behind League and AFL

Comment

IMO the games are less and less similar as the years go by though. Forwards and more technical players struggle to transition because the skills are too different. The only ones who thrive are large, athletic backs because League's more physical and requires more running.

Back in the day, Campo popping a goosie was seen as being the most amazing thing ever. Footwork has come a long way and it's developed a lot faster in League because you spend more time running the ball. IMO yawnion developed into a boring, negative game. Whereas League's developed into a more exciting, positive game.
              great post.

Comment

BS. I know you go watch the Brumbies every weekend. Helps with your insomnia.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
                  I really don't care about these "amazing" prospects, I have seem 1000s of them come and go.
                  Don't get me wrong, when they actually run out in a first grade team for the Roosters I will be hoping they set the world on fire, but unless I know them I am not interested on how everyone thinks they are going to go.
                  I have seen too many people carry on like pork chops over kids 10 and 12 years old and how they will go all the way
                  I agree that to many young kids get talked up playing amongst boys but Inglis, Folau & Latrell were all big boys for their age & instantly could play NRL at a high level & Im pretty shore this guy Suaalii is in that basket. I wish I had of seen him training today with the emerging Blues.

Comment

I think we always wondered just how great Latrell Mitchell could be if he had the work ethic of, say, Anthony Minichiello or James Tedesco.

It sounds like we'll get to find out with our own (lol@souffs) Joseph Suaalii.

If he becomes a 10yr Rooster then we're probably in for quite a journey as fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ChookMaster View Post
                      If any of you posters have doubts about Suuali go and head over to our training one day and watch a session. I’ve managed to watch 2 training sessions thus far this year whilst being out with my little boy and I’ll tell you what he does NOT look like a 17 year old... glides across the park so lightly and has filled out really well. He looks the real deal.
                      When you were at training, were they playing any positional play and if so, where was Big Joe lining up within that shape?

..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

[QUOTE=Headless Chook;
                        It used to be a good game and I would watch the tests religiously.....

Was it? Not that I ever saw - all that kicking, line out, kick again. barge over tries. In Oz it was always a class ridden game though, ironically, the best players were working class - the Ellas, Ray Price, the Thornets (apart from John who quickly joined the leather elbow patch/R. M. Williams brigade and enjoyed the patronage of the Big End. There used to be debate about who was the better rugby halfback Kickin' Kenny Catchpole or Billy Smith. LOL.
                        In the UK too, the Rugby schism in the 1880s was the result of the toffs getting resentful of their loosened grip on the game and being shown up as mediocrities by Northern working class teams. The solution - Amateurism (no pay) which led to the birth of Northern Union (Rugby League).
                        Class was much more evident and real in Australia in the 50s and 60s than it is now. Then League was by far the junior partner as far as media regard went. The Head of the River (another celebration of our "upper class") got better media coverage. Only the arrival of TV and the lure of big bucks brought the Big End around - sort of. There is still that class attraction that fuels the hope of a resurgence despite the failure of their revamped competition which has pretty much stuffed the sport locally. I used to love the way that Maxwell and those other twats would, in commentary, detail team members' occupations - mostly privileged private school types like themselves. Those were the days when you couldn't get a job at Qantas or be an Army officer f you weren't from the right class.
                        For me there is a satisfying schadenfreude in a City Council survey some years back which canvassed local (south Paddington) opinion as to which football code supporters were the worst behaved post match. Turns out the Rah Rahs won hands down - ripping up street plantings, pissing in porches, loud and abusive etc. A lotta people vote for them religiously.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post

Why would any player want to go to Uniom in Oz, its an absolute basket case and the 4th ranked footy code
                          RTS will be playing for the All Blacks though if he makes it - Union is number 1 in NZ- NRL would be crazy to try to have second NRL team in NZ
                          Last edited by King Salvo; 01-30-2021, 04:02 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paddo Colt 61;n862543][QUOTE=Headless Chook;
                            It used to be a good game and I would watch the tests religiously.....

Was it? Not that I ever saw - all that kicking, line out, kick again. barge over tries. In Oz it was always a class ridden game though, ironically, the best players were working class - the Ellas, Ray Price, the Thornets (apart from John who quickly joined the leather elbow patch/R. M. Williams brigade and enjoyed the patronage of the Big End. There used to be debate about who was the better rugby halfback Kickin' Kenny Catchpole or Billy Smith. LOL.
                            In the UK too, the Rugby schism in the 1880s was the result of the toffs getting resentful of their loosened grip on the game and being shown up as mediocrities by Northern working class teams. The solution - Amateurism (no pay) which led to the birth of Northern Union (Rugby League).
                            Class was much more evident and real in Australia in the 50s and 60s than it is now. Then League was by far the junior partner as far as media regard went. The Head of the River (another celebration of our "upper class") got better media coverage. Only the arrival of TV and the lure of big bucks brought the Big End around - sort of. There is still that class attraction that fuels the hope of a resurgence despite the failure of their revamped competition which has pretty much stuffed the sport locally. I used to love the way that Maxwell and those other twats would, in commentary, detail team members' occupations - mostly privileged private school types like themselves. Those were the days when you couldn't get a job at Qantas or be an Army officer f you weren't from the right class.
                            For me there is a satisfying schadenfreude in a City Council survey some years back which canvassed local (south Paddington) opinion as to which football code supporters were the worst behaved post match. Turns out the Rah Rahs won hands down - ripping up street plantings, pissing in porches, loud and abusive etc. A lotta people vote for them religiously.[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like hearing Gordon Bray call the game though and he can tell you more things about a player/city/country etc than maybe people care to know or want to know about- Still good to hear "Poidevan" maybe not 100 per cent – but I'll tell you, they'll need a crowbar to get Poido off the field.

Last edited by King Salvo; 01-30-2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah Salvo I meant Gordon Bray. What a tosser. All that guff like, "Bill Blogs, a Veterinary Surgeon from Gunnedah....". Will say though that Scott Gourlay was one for the leather elbow patch but a very good player for Easts in his twilight much the same as Dick Thornett, one of the best second rowers I saw in the old game. How about Goulay's old man - "Robin"? Weren't too many "Robins" in League but he was tough as.

Comment

[QUOTE=King Salvo; .....I'll tell you, they'll need a crowbar to get Poido off the field....

I much prefer 2KY Tiger Black's "And as Johnny Spencer runs on that makes 6 wharfies in the Balmain pack".

Comment

Working...
                                X