Robbo interview DT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbo interview DT

Sydney Roosters’ mentor Trent Robinson talks about Luke Keary’s move to halfback, Sam Walker and Joseph Suaalii’s future and how the Tricolours will adapt to the NRL’s new rules.

What have you done differently with the boys over the summer, given you’re coming in from a very different position to the past few years? What have you changed about your approach to the pre-season?

We stick to our training style and what we believe in, but we’ve also tried to adapt to how the game moved a bit last year, physically, and how we think it’ll move this year with the rule changes. We’ve adjusted our training program according to what we believed, and we’ve trained in that way.

Specifically, what have you changed about the training program? What have you and the conditioning staff looked at to try and adapt to these new rules?

There was two things. Ball in play time went up, which meant there was more plays in the game. There was a bit more distance that will get covered by the players, so we had to train for that and there will be more of those with the 10-metre penalties and less scrums. We knew they wanted to increase ball in play, so we trained towards that. We really wanted to adjust to that, but we had to look at what Origin did at the end of last year and where they wanted the game to go.

The second one was that a set has been 50 seconds for a long time, six tackles, whether with the ball or without the ball, 50 second sets are still going to be the majority but there will be 70, 80, 90 second sets as well. The ability to continue your sets, not just over the course of a game but within the game, being able to attack or defend for a longer period of time.

It sounds to me like there’s two challenges there – building the aerobic fitness to sustain good play for that 70 or 80 seconds, but there’d be some technical aspects as well. How do you marry those things up?

It’s a blending of the physical aspects and the decision making. Making high-quality decisions at speed is where our game is at, so that’s been a focus along with the physical demands.

How does Luke Keary’s move to halfback change things for Luke as an individual and for the team as a whole?

It’s the maturity of Luke. He’s played a lot of halfback through his junior career, he’s played just as much half as he had five-eighth when he came into grade football. He dominates a game as is, and it was time – both I and he thought – for him to dominate games from the seven position. From what I’ve seen, it hasn’t shifted too much of his focus on the way he plays. He’s a running, ball-playing half and we want that to continue but we also understand he’s one of the leaders of our team and to have the seven on the back gives him the opportunity to do that.

You mentioned you and Luke arrived at this decision together. Was this something you always thought was in Luke’s future? Did you always see him as a seven long term?

It definitely depended on the players around him. He’s in our captains group now, he’s definitely one of the leaders of our team on the field all the time, along with Jake, Tedesco and Boyd. Those other guys are mostly forwards, Teddy is out the back and given Luke is in that dominant half role it was a really easy discussion.

What did Lachlan Lam show you over the pre-season to help him win the job as Luke’s halves partner?

He’s been showing it for years. He’s a local junior who’s had to fight for his position, and he’s had opportunities to go elsewhere but he wants to be a Rooster and he’s decided to work really hard at the craft of being a half. He’s worked really hard towards that and he’s shown that over the past couple of season that he really wants that role. It’s his opportunity to go take it. He’s a natural five-eighth and always has been and we have other halves who have been training well and pushing well but he’s worked hard over years to get that role.

How much does his inclusion and Keary’s move change anybody else’s role in the team? Will you look for more playmaking from Jake Friend, Victor Radley or James Tedesco?

No, there’s enough playmaking in those guys and they can all be runners of the ball. The synergy between them is important but it’s up to us in the way we play all across the field to show that combination is strong.

There’s been so much talk about Sam Walker … What qualities of his have stood out to you since he joined the club?

He’s a half with quality vision and the ability to back his instincts and we’ve seen that a lot over the last year and a half. I look forward to him continuing to develop his role and his move into the NRL.

Is there much of a set time frame on when you’ll bring him along? What’s the plan there?

We create a platform but in the end the player makes that decision. Players force your hand, they show you they’re ready to play, that’s what you’re looking for. You can create opportunities through the way you train but the players tell you when they’re ready to play by the way they train and play in reserve grade.

I have to ask you about Joe Suaalii. What’s stood out to you in the pre-season since he came over from Souths? How does he measure up to the rest of the outside backs physically?

He’s physically dominant, really well-balanced, very strong and fit. The thing I’ve loved the most though is he’s just gone about his work. Externally there’s been quite a lot of talk, but internally there’s been work and that’s what I’ve really liked.

There is so much hype and it seems so much for a 17-year old to deal with. Does it effect your approach at all, or the plan to deal with his transition into first grade?

No – you don’t change the way you think about that because of external factors. You look at the individual and you stay on the line you think is important for right time to develop Joseph as a first grader and how to develop him as a footy player. We’ve had our plan, but the hype is not in the doors, it’s just outside which is great. It’s good for our game. That’s what we want, we want people to love watching young players come through the grades and play. But we’ve just focused on building the man and building the player and we’ll keep doing that.

A less high-profile recruit but one I’ve heard has impressed you is Adam Keighran. What sort of role do you see him playing in the team? Is he in the frame to be the club’s utility?

He’s played a lot of positions through his career and I like the way he’s worked in those different positions. He’s been trying to find his way over the last few years at a couple of different clubs and he’s really impressed us through his versatility, so that’s what we’ll be looking for from him. He’s able to stand in positions and do that dominantly. I’m really looking forward to using his versatility.

ROOSTERS’ FRENCH CONNECTION

If we were in Paris this story would be on the back page.

After all it’s not every day that a French rugby legend takes up with league, but that’s exactly what’s going on with Frederic Michalak.

Michalak, who retired as his countries all-time leading Test points scorer and starred for France in three World Cups, has linked up with the Roosters as an assistant coach.

The Frenchman has been quietly going about his work at the Roosters for just over a month and is making a big impression.

“His partner is Australian and I heard he was coming out here to live, so he’s doing our skills coaching,” said Roosters coach Trent Robinson.

“He gives great insight and has great intuition for certain parts of the game even though he’s a rugby union player.

“He’s a beautiful kicker of the ball, a great goal-kicker and game manager so it’s been a real benefit, the boys have really taken to him as well.”

One of France’s most decorated players and a veteran of 77 tests from 2001 to 2015, Michalak’s move from Les Tricolores to the Tricolours has flown under the radar.

“It hasn’t caused much fanfare, if we were in France it would be everywhere,” Robinson said.

“I’ve known Freddy for quite a few years, he grew up in Toulouse and played for the legendary rugby team Stade Toulouse and I was there when I played for Toulouse in rugby league.”

Robinson’s links to France are well known – he spent time playing and coaching Toulouse Olympique and later coached Super League side Catalans Dragons before taking over at the Roosters.

The three-time premiership winner was this week announced as France’s director of rugby ahead of this year’s World Cup.

“It’s a director of rugby role, which is helping (coach) Laurent Frayssinous set up a system that can lay the foundation for future success,” Robinson said.

“I love France and I owe it a lot, for my career and my family. My partner and kids are French. It was an easy choice and I want to help develop French rugby league.

“The thing is to put a foundation in for continued success. Now what success looks like is building on a really strong base of Catalans, Toulouse Olympique and the French rugby league spirit.”

After years in the wilderness, French rugby league has experienced something of a resurgence in recent years with Catalans winning the Challenge Cup in 2017 and Toulouse pushing for inclusion into Super League.

Players such as Theo Fages, Morgan Escare and Romain Navarette have also found success playing in England.

Those results are yet to translate into international success, but Robinson is adamant the future can be bright for Les Chanticleers.

“We want to keep pushing hard to improve French rugby league,” Robinson said.

“It’s a mythical sport that’s played in Europe for a lot of people, it has this wonderful and chequered history, but it needs consistency of performance on and off the field – that’s what we want to bring to it.

“The thing I’ve really liked is Luc (Lacoste, French Rugby League President) hasn’t just said we want to win games, we want to put in the right environment to create the opportunity to win games.

“I think that’s the role, it’s building a platform for success in the short and long term.”

Great interview, thanks Rozza.

Comment

Makes a lot of sense, as expected. Positive and justifiably so.

Comment

Thanks for posting Rozza. Good read.

Comment

We are so lucky to have Robbo as our coach, and the French connection just fits.
          From the attacking style we play, the clubs history through being named the Roosters after them and having French legends like Remi Casty, Jason Baitieri and Heath L'Estrange all play for the club

Dave Shillington also almost represented France during the 2008 world cup but was named in the emerging Qld Maroons squad instead.

Comment

Cheers for posting the DT article !

Comment

Great questions for Robbo and well answered as always.

Comment

Michalak was a v good player. He will add value.

Comment

Working...
                X