Smith Finally Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Finally Retires

Cameron Smith retires from NRL, rugby league after iconic 430-game career in NRL (nine.com.au)
    About time but geez he was a great player

I’m probably on my own here but I’m glad I got to see in my lifetime arguably the best player to ever play the game.
    Thanks for the memories C Smith.

Comment

Not on your own Mickie , he is up there with the best of our time .Smith Thurston Cronk Lewis Slater .Teddy , and so many more , we have been blessed to see some of the greatest

Comment

Something off about being as great as Cameron Smith and nobody really likes you. He should have made this announcement months ago.

Comment

About time! One of the most effective game managers and winners in our games history. And huge endurance and longevity for his physicality. I can't use the term 'great' though, need the whole package not just on field success.

Comment

always hated him but that was mainly because he was such a ridiculously good player.

incredible career and thankful he's no longer playing.

wonder if he will try take up a head coach role in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
              I’m probably on my own here but I’m glad I got to see in my lifetime arguably the best player to ever play the game.
              great game manager, no doubt one of the best, but I’m struggling to remember big highlights that the likes of slater,johns,Lewis, Freddy and some of the other greats have that come to mind straight away. I suppose he made his teammates look really good by always doing his job.

he won plenty of matches near the death with his goal kicking, field goals, and pulled of some great general kicks that turned games, but I think his biggest attribute was that I can’t remember him playing a bad or quiet game.
              that’s what makes him truly great.

Comment

never warmed to him but his record speaks for itself. good luck to him

Comment

Met him twice. Was a true gentleman.

Comment

the GOAT

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

great game manager, no doubt one of the best, but I’m struggling to remember big highlights that the likes of slater,johns,Lewis, Freddy and some of the other greats have that come to mind straight away. I suppose he made his teammates look really good by always doing his job.

he won plenty of matches near the death with his goal kicking, field goals, and pulled of some great general kicks that turned games, but I think his biggest attribute was that I can’t remember him playing a bad or quiet game.
                      that’s what makes him truly great.

Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post
                        Agree with your sentiment.

Great player but he never really inspired me or provided games/footage that I wanna watch over and over.

In short, he's technically gifted (e.g. his successful sideline conversion against heavy wind while falling over) and is probably the best tactician ever. Great niggler too! Really knew how to make sure the refs weren't interfering with his tactics/strategies.

That said:
                        - He only ever played for one club (which got ahead by systematically cheating the cap). IMO it was all too convenient that no players were implicated.

- His tactics weren't about playing expansive football or being an entertainer (you'd only like them if you were winning). Rather... they were about milking 2 pointers in front of the sticks during golden point moments, making players think their back was about to be broken in tackles, stripping the ball during multi-player tackles and slowing the ball down. Smart? Yes. Pretty? No.

- The McKinnon incident was an absolute disgrace. He wasn't about player welfare or sportsmanship (as shown by him faking penalties from in front and actively encouraging grapple/cannonball tackles). He may be a gentleman off the field (so is everybody with millions of dollars & every award in the book... difficult to be bitter when you've had such a good run of luck). However, none of what he's done will go down in the record books as 'stuff you want your kids to aspire to do'.

- His retirement was fukking odd. Say what you like about him being able to choose... he's now completely farked over the Drizz (no continuity planning), the Titans (no marquee signing - to me he owed the game a charity season with them after all his success with the cap cheaters) and Brisbane (who even released Macca to make space). To make this call less than a week before round 1 was an arrogant move. He's allowed to do it... sure! I'm also allowed to successfully apply for a job and then a day before I'm supposed to begin say 'aaaw sorry, not interested'. It's not evil, it's just inconsiderate and sums him up. He's done nothing aside from win win win with the Storm, QLD and Australia (all stacked teams where he's not the only $1 million man). I don't think he's given anything back to the game of footy, like so many others in his shoes have done. The game hasn't improved as a result of him! He's like a Putin or Jinping... undoubtedly a strong, talented leader who has made a lasting change on the world... but to what end? Everybody in the world hates them and the rules of engagement are now more defensive/boring than ever because you have to consider the rules they're gonna play by. Everything was more fun and there was way more good faith before they showed up...

There's a lot more depth to the guy... I get it. However, he's not a loveable, charitable dude like say Freddie, Benji (still playing for the love of it!!!) and SBW. You wanna play like those guys at their prime, not like Cam Smith when he's just edged out a game by milking a penalty from in front.
                        Last edited by ism22; 03-10-2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

My memory of him will be chasing friendy over the sideline at the conclusion of the 2018 GF.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                            Smith is a leader and a winner, but he's not a player that will get bum on seats. He's not a player like Thurston, Lockyear, Fittler Cronk or SBW....and yes Johns. The only great memory I have of him as a freak was when he took that conversion from the sidelines against us, on a rainy night at the SFS and he kicks it while horizontal to win the game. Great player nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                              he's now completely farked over the Drizz (no continuity planning), the Titans (no marquee signing - to me he owed the game a charity season with them after all his success with the cap cheaters) and Brisbane (who even released Macca to make space).
                              This makes no sense. The Storm named their Captains already for this season. They knew he was gone, No continuity? Have you heard of Harry Grant? He owed the Titans and the Bronco's nothing, zilch. Did Freddy go back and have a season with Penrith or another struggling club?

Comment

Working...
                              X