Smith Finally Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
    Imagine you’re Bellamy, reigning premiers and this year’s premiership favourite is coming to town for the first game of the year. You haven’t lost a first round game ever. Souths have never won in Melbourne. Bennett’s got a poor record against Craig.
    I would be a bit worried about tonights game if I was him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
      About time! One of the most effective game managers and winners in our games history. And huge endurance and longevity for his physicality. I can't use the term 'great' though, need the whole package not just on field success.
      Im with ya. His records speak for themselves however if you have played that many games, you would expect those results to some degree.

I never understood why he had soo much say in a game. He could basically tell a ref his job and the ref, would a lot of the time simply accept it and play it Cams way.

I actually think Melbourne will benefit in the short term at least from his departure as when Harry Grant is fit, he will set that side alight.
      FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

great game manager, no doubt one of the best, but I’m struggling to remember big highlights that the likes of slater,johns,Lewis, Freddy and some of the other greats have that come to mind straight away. I suppose he made his teammates look really good by always doing his job.

he won plenty of matches near the death with his goal kicking, field goals, and pulled of some great general kicks that turned games, but I think his biggest attribute was that I can’t remember him playing a bad or quiet game.
        that’s what makes him truly great.

Yep!
        FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by Batemans Bay Rooster View Post

Well said.
          Hey mate, off topic but if you are from the bay, keep me posted when the fish are on can ya?!

Was at Tuross on the weekend and it was terrible. Only kept two flatties.
          FVCK CANCER

Comment

Can’t regard him as the greatest or most skilled player, however as mentioned by many one of the best game managers and does whatever it takes to guide his team to victory.
            Every team needs a C Smith as much as they need an A John’s or a Fittler.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

I would be a bit worried about tonights game if I was him.
              I don’t think he’ll be.
              ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

How bad are those statues of Smith and Slater. Look nothing like them. They were actually done by friends of mine but I won’t tell them what I think.

Comment

Self indulgent prat

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                    How bad are those statues of Smith and Slater. Look nothing like them. They were actually done by friends of mine but I won’t tell them what I think.
                    Why not? Scared? Chickenshit lol

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
                      anyone seen the statues? how come they look nothing like slater and smith?
                      Well you can tell they are footballers so at least they got that part right - mmm it's a kind of abstract and modernist art interpretation.

Could be worse though

Last edited by King Salvo; 03-11-2021, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Not sure what Andy Murray thought of his one - At least they pretty much nailed The Beatles one in Liverpool -even if they are rather tall

Last edited by King Salvo; 03-11-2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                          Not sure what Andy Murray thought of his one - At least they pretty much nailed the Beatles one in Liverpool -even if they are rather tall

The Murray one looks like Bob Hawke with a mini skirt and knee-high leather boots. Truely odd.

Slater and Smith? LOL. Only good thing about 'em is that I won't have to see their smug faces when I visit the ground 'coz there's zero likeness.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

The Murray one looks like Bob Hawke with a mini skirt and knee-high leather boots. Truely odd.

Slater and Smith? LOL. Only good thing about 'em is that I won't have to see their smug faces when I visit the ground 'coz there's zero likeness.
                            I think as my Relo's in the UK would say they are "taking the piss"

Lucille Ball and Doris Day were the glamours of their days but gees their statues especially Lucille Ball's are shockers,

Surely especially nowadays they can have life like statues - It must be really embarrassing going to your statue unveiling and they or you pull off the cover to display a statue that looks nothing like you or is so grotesque you would end up buying it and having it removed permanently.

Last edited by King Salvo; 03-11-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

the ones at the footy stadium aren't much chop either

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                                Did they actually know who Smith and Slater are and by chance look at any photo's of them- may have studied at the same art school or course as the sculptures below - left is easy - whose the one on the right?

Last edited by King Salvo; 03-12-2021, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X