Is Rugby League as a spectacle ruined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

If that was ruled a no try as it was a forward pass Manly could well have gone onto to win that GF in 2013.

You have to look at holistically though and not cherry pick and only highlight the forward passes that go against the Chooks and not acknowledge ones that favour the Chooks such as Maloney's pass to Mini which resulted in SKD's try I mentioned. - You could see the Manly players putting their arms up and looking at the ref asking how did you miss that you forward pass !!!!!

I don't think Robbo was blowing up or blaming that for the loss though as that would be really clutching at straws.

And it could have been 23/37 instead of 23/35 for the Chooks as the extra 2 sets would most likely have been 2 incomplete sets.
    You keep deflecting. OMR was right that letting those forward passes go gave Broncos more possession.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post

You keep deflecting. OMR was right that letting those forward passes go gave Broncos more possession.
      I don't look at things through red white and blue glasses only though
      Last edited by King Salvo; 05-25-2021, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Well Gus has just echoed my sentinments at length about TPJ running at walker all game yet our blokes can't retaliate.

PVL along with News Ltd are killing the game. All these rule changes resonate from the Roosters success and attempts at handicapping us out of the competition to make way for the trophy to head west or stay with the strom as they probably spat the dummy over our b2b.

Comment

I wouldn't mind Victor change his style of tackles, I thought tackle he did on Xavier Coates was splendid. If he can change tackling level we can still expect his impact consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by stringaz View Post
            Well Gus has just echoed my sentinments at length about TPJ running at walker all game yet our blokes can't retaliate.

PVL along with News Ltd are killing the game. All these rule changes resonate from the Roosters success and attempts at handicapping us out of the competition to make way for the trophy to head west or stay with the strom as they probably spat the dummy over our b2b.
            So players can't tackle a ball carrier hard legitimately and instead have to tackle the ball carrier high(catch and hold) increasing the risk of hitting the ball carrier in the head because another player is having trouble tackling that player or is being singled out in the defensive line by that player - is that what Gould's is saying? - It shouldn't be about retaliation though as that's what got Radley into trouble and why he has to change his tackling style and improve his discipline.

That's nonsense what Gould is saying though - players should get video of the late Great Barry "Bunny" Reilly - 5ft 3 or 4 - as he tackled as hard or even harder than anyone else and legitimately too - stacks of rib ticklers and around the legs tackles cutting players down quick. He even taught Trevor Gillmeister how to tackle.

On a side note I still don't understand why the halves don't defend on the wing to avoid this and increased defensive workloads as you want them fresh for the attacking side of the game - Not making 20 or more tackles a game and worn out half through the year.

Comment

On a side note I still don't understand why the halves don't defend on the wing to avoid this and increased defensive workloads as you want them fresh for the attacking side of the game - Not making 20 or more tackles a game and worn out half through the year.

I always wonder this also

Comment

I’ll try and simplify it for the queen. If the game was refereed
                equally, and every forward pass and offside by the broncos would’ve given us more possession and less for them and deprived them of 2 tries.
                on the other hand because theirs were let go then ours should’ve counted and we would’ve had 2 tries and more possession by the kick off coming to us .
                it’s simple maths, stats can be manipulated anyway you like queen, but any reasonable footy observer can see this without any coloured glasses. The fact that non roosters supporters are saying it proves we are not seeing things through RWB coloured glasses , and believe it or not sone
                people DO NOT agree with you as much as you’d like us to.

Comment

That's nonsense what Gould is saying though - players should get video of the late Great Barry "Bunny" Reilly - 5ft 3 or 4 - as he tackled as hard or even harder than anyone else and legitimately too - stacks of rib ticklers and around the legs tackles cutting players down quick. He even taught Trevor Gillmeister how to tackle.
                  Learn something off Robbo...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/l...-change!802367

Comment

So players can't tackle a ball carrier hard legitimately and instead have to tackle the ball carrier high(catch and hold) increasing the risk of hitting the ball carrier in the head because another player is having trouble tackling that player or is being singled out in the defensive line by that player - is that what Gould's is saying? - It shouldn't be about retaliation though as that's what got Radley into trouble and why he has to change his tackling style and improve his discipline.

I'm running out of popcorn.

Just hurry up and tell us what Jack Gibson used to say about high tackles ffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

​​​​

What reward do you get for a low tackle anymore , the ref immediately screams at you to let go of the legs and the dummy half has a free run at a retreating defence.
                      I'm a huge fan of those two great roosters you mentioned but Bunny played in the 5 metre era and forwards were about 90 kgs with limited footwork, these days some are over 115 kgs and can step and if you go low it's only a matter of time before you collect a hip or knee.
                      Vlandys didn't think this through he pulled the trigger without consulting any coaches or experts in the game and now he's created a mess.

Comment

• This new crackdown is akin to placing a 110 km speed limit on the supercars.

Has anyone ever seen the momentum of a game swung by a great legs tackle?
                        The risk now outweighs the reward of attempting something so stupid as a big shot to lift your team.
                        Last edited by Bondicigar; 05-26-2021, 02:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OMR View Post
                          I’ll try and simplify it for the queen. If the game was refereed
                          equally, and every forward pass and offside by the broncos would’ve given us more possession and less for them and deprived them of 2 tries.
                          on the other hand because theirs were let go then ours should’ve counted and we would’ve had 2 tries and more possession by the kick off coming to us .
                          it’s simple maths, stats can be manipulated anyway you like queen, but any reasonable footy observer can see this without any coloured glasses. The fact that non roosters supporters are saying it proves we are not seeing things through RWB coloured glasses , and believe it or not sone
                          people DO NOT agree with you as much as you’d like us to.
                          The Brisbane Lions are winning the ratings war up in QLD. The NRL wants to prop the game up there as they do down in Covid City.

Comment

Working...
                          X