The Roosters Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Roosters Way

Is seriously under threat looking at tonights officiating.

Lodge and Pangai worked to get under our guys skin early, and it worked. Guys like JWH and Vic sought to respond legally but physically. To lift the team and gain the ascendancy.

That's a big part of the Roosters way. But it was killed tonight. You could see the frustration and despair on Vics face. The rest of the team flows off those big plays. Once our guys were second guessing their contact and physicality we were shot.

Didn't see anything wrong with Vics 'indiscretions ', the Pangai hit was outstanding.

Don't know where we, as a team, or the game goes from here.

We need confident empowered officials with a feel for the game, not textbook copy boys ticking off KPIs.

#savethegame.

I think Robbo's definitely been working on our tackling and woulda told Radley to do that exact same tackle as it can get the power without the risk of them ducking into a 'high tackle' (like Lodge so bleedingly obviously did to Manu... TWICE! No send-off, just 'on report').

All I can say is that we'll adapt. The Roosters way is that we always adapt. Our tackling/timing tonight wasn't accepted by the refs as being 'legal'. Robbo will have to seek clarification of that TPJ shot in particular I'd be thinking as he intentionally went low (you could tell he'd been training to do that) and STILL got sent off!

I suspect Robbo will seek advice behind the scenes and tweak people's tackling. End of the day Radley, Manu and JWH need to be particularly careful. They'll be 'right though. NRL banned the shoulder charge on SBW and he still found a way forward. That's their job...

Comment

I agree that we will adapt and find a way. That adaptability, innovation and ingenuity make up the Roosters way. It will take time, but we will get there. I echo others' sentiments about season 2022 and our good looking prospects.
      MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
      is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
      with that attitude. I can assure you it is
      much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Lodge and Pangai worked to get under our guys skin early, and it worked. Guys like JWH and Vic sought to respond legally but physically. To lift the team and gain the ascendancy.

That's a big part of the Roosters way. But it was killed tonight. You could see the frustration and despair on Vics face. The rest of the team flows off those big plays. Once our guys were second guessing their contact and physicality we were shot.

Didn't see anything wrong with Vics 'indiscretions ', the Pangai hit was outstanding.

We need confident empowered officials with a feel for the game, not textbook copy boys ticking off KPIs.

#savethegame.
        Mate, how must the players feel?! The physicality is the actual fabric of the game. All current players have based their careers on it.

It's an emasculation.

Comment

And I think a decent guide to the severity of Vic's 'indiscretions' are that nobody was injured from them from what I recall.

Comment

Jack, other than walking off the field because we feel aggrieved, there isn't much we can do...and we are not going to walk off the field so we're going to have to lump it up and get the best of our squad and our tacticians until we can get back the players that we really miss in Boyd and then Luke and Lidsay next year.

Comment

"Originally posted by Jack's Fur Coat

You are spot on Jack.
              I thought the Radley hit on Pangai was a full blown hit that contacted Pangai's upper body.
              A perfectly legitimate hit in Rugby league, all the way back to 1908.
              In that tackle, there way have been some incidental ,minor contact , with Pangai's head.
              It had to be incidental and minor- otherwise if Radley had aimed at his head, Pangai would have been in Disneyland and carried off on medicab.
              Instead, Pangai got hit, and as he was going backwards, you saw him look at thee ref, as if to say -"he touched me in the head"
              The referee agreed, and so did the guys who tick off their checklists - "too dangerous a tackle"
              10 minutes off for Rads, and on report.
              The game is now a F@#king abomination..

Comment

One observation on Robbo’s coaching, the difference between the Roosters best and worst is massive. Bellamy seems to have Melbourne playing at a consistent standard every game
                Last edited by RoosterBooster; 05-23-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Ahhh we had the game by the balls until the intercept on half time, then the Butcher attempt strip penalty right after half time was a huge momentum shift. Up until those 2 things we were gonna put 40 on them.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterBooster View Post
                    One observation on Robbo’s coaching, the difference between the Roosters best and worst is massive. Bellamy seems to have Melbourne playing at a consistent standard every game
                    Agreed.

Storm were missing their 1, 6, 7 & 9 plus a starting forward yet thrashed Canberra in Canberra.
                    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Rabid_Rooster View Post
                      I agree that we will adapt and find a way. That adaptability, innovation and ingenuity make up the Roosters way. It will take time, but we will get there. I echo others' sentiments about season 2022 and our good looking prospects.
                      We don't have time.
                      Wanna make the 8, our best hope for 2021? then all our players...all...
                      must make sure they do not tackle players in the head...now.

Comment

Spot on!

Comment

He has most of his squad on deck...not 10 players out.
                          Our Snr players are trying too hard to carry young players across the line.
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

It was a really poor night and I feel sorry for Jake Friend. I thought
                            1. we played poorly and our forwards got spanked
                            2. we didn’t get much from the officials. When the game was live we got 8 less penalties, 2 more sin bins and about 4 to 5 less restarts. Not to mention a few forward passes. Was it really that big a difference between he two teams for the first 60 mins. We where bad but that didn’t help.
                            3. We lost the crackdown lottery this week. I hate changing rules mid season. It really fu$k in bothers me and the NRL are masters at it. It is because they are both arrogant and amateur at the same time. But the fact is the rules have changed, they will ease off or be more consistent but they are Not going to go back.
                            4. Victor was stiffed but he did lose his composure a bit.
                            5. Sam Walker has been great but tonight he was not. He played behind a beaten pack and he is an 18 yo with 7 GAMES. He will continue to develop.
                            6. Joseph Suaalii looked solid as a 17 YO debuting in a well beaten side.

with the injuries we had I thought I would enjoy the rest of the season watching young players develop with no expectations. I then got caught up in how well they continued to play despite all the setbacks and lost a bit of perspective as to where we are at. Tonight was probably coming for a while.
                            what I am most disappointed in is how the sin bin lottery now makes games a blow out or can take away the advantages of good sides or good preparation over poor ones.
                            my expectations are back in line but I actually didn’t like rugby league over the last fortnight, it’s become a lottery.

as I said most of all I feel sorry for Nug, a rooster

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

#savethegame.
                              Radley leads our energy and he was the one putting kick pressure on the kickers early. He got to Kelly in time so that the kick only went 10 metres, I couldn't see where he hit him high.
                              Once he got binned there was no kick pressure and Kelly did what he liked.
                              Even the hit on pangai it's hard to tell whether he actually touches his head or its whiplash off the effect of the shot.
                              Every tackle over the shoulder is being penalised even if it's not a head tackle and the attackers are milking it to get penalties which is a horrible look for the game.
                              I am all for stopping the bad high tackles but the refs and bunker have gone overboard and are ruining the game as a spectacle.
                              The crusher penalties are farcical where most of them are accidents with players backing into the defence. They should only be a penalty if the defender leaves his feet to jump on the blokes neck which you never hardly see anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X