Fox League - There’s still ‘not a lot of money’ left to spend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox League - There’s still ‘not a lot of money’ left to spend

This sort of branches off another thread I made yesterday about a "Daily Telegraph" article.

Link: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...5b8fd71700100f

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

The Roosters have lost three rugby league greats to premature retirement in the space of a couple of months.

Jake Friend (concussion), Brett Morris (knee), and Boyd Cordner (concussion) have all called time on their glittering careers and won’t be seen in professional rugby league again.

While Morris wasn’t on huge money, many would assume those three untimely exits leave the Chooks with a sizeable lump of cash to play with in the NRL market.

According to NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent, that’s certainly not the case.

In fact he understands the Roosters have limited space under the salary cap for next season already.

“They don’t have a lot,” Kent said.

“There’s a theory going around that with the retirement of Morris, Friend, and Cordner that there’s plenty of money sitting in the salary cap.

“For a lot of reasons (there isn’t)... one, they don’t actually get a lot of dispensation with Boyd from getting his injury in rep (Origin) football, because it came in this financial year.

“The fact that the salary cap has come down because of COVID, players have already got upgrades coming next year.

“So there’s not a lot of money left in the cap for the Roosters. They’re pretty much going to have to make do with what they’ve got.

“This theory going around that they’ll go to market and cherry pick whoever they like, is not right.”

The Roosters have already re-signed James Tedesco, Sam Walker, Sitili Tupouniua, and Angus Crichton this year, all of whom command significant money.

Teenage sensation Joseph Suaalii will play in the NRL full-time next season and so will undoubtedly need a salary upgrade.

When Crichton announced his own extension earlier this season, he pointed to the salary cap constraints as a reason for only signing a one-year deal.

“Obviously I want to stay at the Roosters and the salary cap is a real thing in sport and it’s a real thing for every team, so to stay it’s a juggling act,” Crichton said.

“You’ve got to figure out how to get all your players to stay and we’ve got a team full of stars so some shuffling around.”

News Corp journalist Paul Crawley believes the Chooks will still be able to go to market, just not with the lure of big money.

He says the Bondi club is likely to pick up some quality talent at a lower price.

“One thing they do well, and everyone jokes about the salary sombrero, but they pick up a bargain,” Crawley told NRL 360.

“They get a guy like Brett Morris for instance, who was not really wanted at the Bulldogs, was told to go and find somewhere.

“He went to the Roosters because he wanted to be a winner. He went there for half price and won two comps.

“They will find a bargain.”

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Seriously, are we that tight/strapped for salary space ? I really thought (as sad and disappointing as this may sound) that we would have some real cap relief/space etc

You would think at the very least, Cordners next two years worth has become available.

Comment

Actually it makes sense considering the cap has been lowered due to Covid, Walker’s early promotion to first grade prompting an extension at a much higher rate than earlier anticipated, and Sualli’s introduction to first grade will demand a hefty upgrade.
      Crighton’s next contract will be higher than current one as he will be the stable back rower that Cordner was for a decade . Also many lower grade players have played first grade and this will demand higher payments .
      Crawley’s point is spot on, we can pick up reasonable talent at bargain price and the lure of playing for the Roosters will ensure that we continue to be a threat .

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
        You would think at the very least, Cordners next two years worth has become available.
        Agreed.

My guess is that we don't get much salary cap relief. However we don't have to factor in salaries for Cordner, Friend and Morris for 2022. Also, we probably get nothing for Keary and Collins as those are just injuries (aka bad luck).

I don't think we're gonna magically sign players of the same calibre as the first three I mentioned because they quite frankly don't exist. But... we no longer have to factor them into our budget for 2022 and beyond.

It might be the case that this enables (or has already enabled) us to upgrade the likes of:
        - Walker (already signed - throw the blank cheque book at that kid and give him what he wants on a silver plate!!!)
        - Collins (I can't think of a better forward to bolster our pack right now)
        - Crichton (to replace Cords at #11 - keep it up!)
        - Suaalii (isn't he starting on a 1 year contract?)
        - Verrills (as our long-term #9 once fit)
        - Keighran (a handy pick-up... keeper in my books)
        - Sitili (starting #12 I reckon... needs an upgrade)
        - Butcher x 2 (I actually prefer the younger one right now... just me?)
        - Baker (Very impressed by his development in such a short time)
        - Liu (Gotta pay the man a proper wage as he's awesome!)
        - Ikuvalu (People can attack his height but he defends well and is scoring lotsa meat pies... keeper & starter in my books unless Billy Smith impresses)

Call me biased, but IMO our development systems are such that right now I don't want another club's players. I want all our good players to be retained, and look forward to all of our injured players returning!!!
        Last edited by ism22; 06-16-2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

bmoz not going around next year makes it easier for us to keep joey s and iku. cords not going around for the next 2 years gives us a lot and will allow us to keep players we mightn't have, plus a bit left over

Comment

Kent is speaking to this year... think he's missed the point if the discussion that there will be funds freed up next year not this year.

Comment

how much did angus resign for this season?? and how much would we upgrade him with his next deal? From my understanding hes already on top dollar..

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Agreed.

My guess is that we don't get much salary cap relief. However we don't have to factor in salaries for Cordner, Friend and Morris for 2022. Also, we probably get nothing for Keary and Collins as those are just injuries (aka bad luck).

I don't think we're gonna magically sign players of the same calibre as the first three I mentioned because they quite frankly don't exist. But... we no longer have to factor them into our budget for 2022 and beyond.

It might be the case that this enables (or has already enabled) us to upgrade the likes of:
                - Walker (already signed - throw the blank cheque book at that kid and give him what he wants on a silver plate!!!)
                - Collins (I can't think of a better forward to bolster our pack right now)
                - Crichton (to replace Cords at #11 - keep it up!)
                - Suaalii (isn't he starting on a 1 year contract?)
                - Verrills (as our long-term #9 once fit)
                - Keighran (a handy pick-up... keeper in my books)
                - Sitili (starting #12 I reckon... needs an upgrade)
                - Butcher x 2 (I actually prefer the younger one right now... just me?)
                - Baker (Very impressed by his development in such a short time)
                - Liu (Gotta pay the man a proper wage as he's awesome!)
                - Ikuvalu (People can attack his height but he defends well and is scoring lotsa meat pies... keeper & starter in my books unless Billy Smith impresses)

Call me biased, but IMO our development systems are such that right now I don't want another club's players. I want all our good players to be retained, and look forward to all of our injured players returning!!!
                Gotta also make re-signing Toops a priority as well !

Comment

Fox and the DT know shit about our clubs business dealings. All speculation.

Comment

As if Kent would have a clue about the Rooster's salary cap. The guy is a massive hack and is deteriorating rapidly.

Comment

Kent is a knucklehead. The players agreed to a pay cut to facilitate a reduction of the salary cap.

Comment

I don’t know enough about how it all works but I’ve been told that the NRL would have to give the okay for Boyd to be medically retired before the Roosters could use that money towards another player. If the NRL did okay a medical retirement for Boyd then he would get his 700k for the next 2 years & the Roosters could then spend another 700k each year how ever they like.

Comment

Originally posted by ChookMaster View Post
                          how much did angus resign for this season?? and how much would we upgrade him with his next deal? From my understanding hes already on top dollar..
                          From memory Angus was already signed for this year and was extended for next year only ( due to cap pressure ), so hopefully the club will table a nice extension once the NRL officially rubber stamp the medical retirement of Cordner.

Comment

I can't think of an areas where we have a major shortfall in.

Potentially another winger and prop...maybe hooker if Verills doesnt kick on?
                            Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by DP1990 View Post

Gotta also make re-signing Toops a priority as well !
                              Damn, how did I forget him!!!

For sure... hopefully he gets a nice payday too. He's taken enough unders for us in his career.

Comment

Working...
                              X