Fox League - There’s still ‘not a lot of money’ left to spend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roosterfarian View Post
    I can't think of an areas where we have a major shortfall in.

Potentially another winger and prop...maybe hooker if Verills doesnt kick on?
    All depends how quickly some of the youngsters develop as well and if the Club is willing to wait a few years?

Currently the Chooks NRL squad is now 26 with the retirement of Friend/B Morris and Cords with a few off contract at the end of 2021- at least 7 - Hutch/Liu/Baker./E Butcher/Toops/J Morris/Benny M (Listed in the 26 ?) and 6 on the extended Bench - Abbey/Bailey/ Jessie M / Satini / Thomas and Peni Tagituimua from the SilkTails

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templa..._Current_Squad

Comment

I am a bit confused about the situation with Boyd. I have heard we are going to keep paying him $800K for the next two years, but he did not medically retire. so how does that work? He was passed fit to play by the club and NRL doctors, but he chose to retire because he didn't want to take the risk. That is surely understandable, but doesn't that mean we don't pay him? If we don't then we can use the money, but if we do there is no money. Anyone know anything about what is going to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Agreed.

My guess is that we don't get much salary cap relief. However we don't have to factor in salaries for Cordner, Friend and Morris for 2022. Also, we probably get nothing for Keary and Collins as those are just injuries (aka bad luck).

I don't think we're gonna magically sign players of the same calibre as the first three I mentioned because they quite frankly don't exist. But... we no longer have to factor them into our budget for 2022 and beyond.

It might be the case that this enables (or has already enabled) us to upgrade the likes of:
        - Walker (already signed - throw the blank cheque book at that kid and give him what he wants on a silver plate!!!)
        - Collins (I can't think of a better forward to bolster our pack right now)
        - Crichton (to replace Cords at #11 - keep it up!)
        - Suaalii (isn't he starting on a 1 year contract?)
        - Verrills (as our long-term #9 once fit)
        - Keighran (a handy pick-up... keeper in my books)
        - Sitili (starting #12 I reckon... needs an upgrade)
        - Butcher x 2 (I actually prefer the younger one right now... just me?)
        - Baker (Very impressed by his development in such a short time)
        - Liu (Gotta pay the man a proper wage as he's awesome!)
        - Ikuvalu (People can attack his height but he defends well and is scoring lotsa meat pies... keeper & starter in my books unless Billy Smith impresses)

Call me biased, but IMO our development systems are such that right now I don't want another club's players. I want all our good players to be retained, and look forward to all of our injured players returning!!!
        Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
          I am a bit confused about the situation with Boyd. I have heard we are going to keep paying him $800K for the next two years, but he did not medically retire. so how does that work? He was passed fit to play by the club and NRL doctors, but he chose to retire because he didn't want to take the risk. That is surely understandable, but doesn't that mean we don't pay him? If we don't then we can use the money, but if we do there is no money. Anyone know anything about what is going to happen?
          i'm pretty sure we won't be paying him anything after this year. he can't retire and still get paid. boyd will take none of the club's salary cap after nov 1 this year.
          the hard question is whether insurance pays him out for the final 2 years in full. that might be tricky

Comment

Originally posted by DP1990 View Post

News Corp journalist Paul Crawley believes the Chooks will still be able to go to market, just not with the lure of big money.

He says the Bondi club is likely to pick up some quality talent at a lower price.

“One thing they do well, and everyone jokes about the salary sombrero, but they pick up a bargain,” Crawley told NRL 360.

“They get a guy like Brett Morris for instance, who was not really wanted at the Bulldogs, was told to go and find somewhere.

“He went to the Roosters because he wanted to be a winner. He went there for half price and won two comps.

“They will find a bargain.”

How good is Crawley? Fact checking isn’t a requirement at News. That vacant look in his face isn’t for nothing.
            ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
              How good is Crawley? Fact checking isn’t a requirement at News. That vacant look in his face isn’t for nothing.
              When we win this year...

Comment

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post
                Fox and the DT know shit about our clubs business dealings. All speculation.
                This. Those kooks would know squat, unless it's a typo, Morris didn't win two comps with us.

Comment

All depends on whether the NRL approves the medical retirement if that is what they Chooks will be requesting it as - I did hear the Chooks may also ask for it to be backdated to the date of his last game in 2020 and have the 2021 contract excluded from the cap - Not sure where that leaves the rep injury cap relief of 350k.

Not 100% sure but i understand unspent cap can be carried forward to following years?.

I was surprised when the article said the Chooks dont have much left in the cap despite the 3 retirements - I would have assumed money would have been tentatively set aside for both Friend and B Morris on the basis they may have played on in 2022- Maybe this has been re-allocated now and Cords money depending on what the NRL decides would then be available - although the cap is 9.11 million in 2022 down from 9.7 mill

Comment

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post
                    Fox and the DT know shit about our clubs business dealings. All speculation.
                    Most of their "research" and "scoops" are done via our very own Chookpen!

Comment

Couldn’t Cordner retire under mental health issue? That way he qualifies for a medical retirement despite the fact he was “ physically “ fit and passed to play by doctors.
                      I also heard he will be paid in full( by the roosters) for this year and the following 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterfarian View Post
                        I can't think of an areas where we have a major shortfall in.

Potentially another winger and prop...maybe hooker if Verills doesnt kick on?
                        The cheer girls could do with a few more brunettes.

Comment

If the NRL are fairdinkum about concussion and player welfare they will allow Boyd to medically retire and have his salary exempted from the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

That won't increase your chances. Or mine for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Farian has had his fair share of brunettes mun.
                              Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by top_joe View Post

That won't increase your chances. Or mine for that matter.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnD82Xh3cts

Comment

Working...
                                X