• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is Hutchinson due back?
    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
      The positive was they didn't put 50 plus on them - the Negative so many - poor set completions again and the defence - they let the Riff run at will - Cleary running across field dummying left and right Cliff Lyon like and the defence just watching and admiring it.

The Riff don't give the opposition an inch in attack with their defence line speed in meeting the ball carrier before they reach the advantage line - numbers in tackles as well.

In Attack they support the ball carrier with players in motion and options whereas the Chooks are very much one dimensional in attack and the better teams easily combat this

The Riff play the same way week in week out so there should be no surprises with the way they play not the Storm and Parramatta and somewhat the Verms either

The Chooks after a fast start fell away and it was a signal of what was to come when the Riff scored their first try in their first trip down the Chooks end from the line drop out after Manu's knock on from the Kick off.

Unless the Chooks can improve their set completions rates ( 90% plus ) and defence for starters they won't be in the game against the better sides currently in the top 4 and will have to rely on winning all their games against the teams currently below them - some of whom are finding their form.

Be making up the numbers in the Finals otherwise - they still have plenty of work to do in guaranteeing a finals position as it is.
      We play dogs,cows,saints,broncos, knights, in the last 9 rounds. If not winning any other matches, I’m sure we can scratch together 3 wins from that lot, and that would be enough to make the finals this year.

Comment

I hate to keep bagging our players but the reality is, if Iku takes all of those high balls the game finishes much closer.
        they scored of each of his drop balls, whether it was straight away or by building momentum and pressure on our goal line.

That and the sin bin killed us

Comment

Originally posted by nayfo View Post
          I hate to keep bagging our players but the reality is, if Iku takes all of those high balls the game finishes much closer.
          they scored of each of his drop balls, whether it was straight away or by building momentum and pressure on our goal line.

And most of those dropped high balls are leading to tries.

As much as he offers in attack, those dropped bills are killing us and you can't survive in first grade with that strike rate in diffusing bombs.
          Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by BraveTheWorld View Post

You seem to make mention of completion rates a lot. While I agree that we tend to give away cheap possession, which is definitely a weakness of ours, and frustrating as a fan, it is not the be-all-and-end-all.
            In 2019 I recall us having a bottom 4 completion rate, and I'd wager that was true in 2018 as well. And you just need to look at the Titans against Manly to see that there is more to the game than that stat.

Further to that, the Chooks had terrific rushing defense early on against the Panthers. When the tides turned the sting went out of our defense and we hardly saw the ball for half an hour.
            This isn't an attitude problem in my opinion. The reality seems to be that try's come easily for teams when they get a bit of momentum. We scored two rapid try's against the Panthers early, and even the Tigers put three on the Storm across a 15-minute period or so.

What the Panthers did terrifically was maintain their momentum for as long as possible. Cleary's short kicking game was vicious and we just couldn't get the ascendency back, and when we had a small opportunity to, we did something silly. I'd argue it's not the completion rates as a whole that is the issue, but the timing of those incomplete sets/errors. A few of those mistakes came at literally the worst possible times.
            Different game now although it's still the same adage that you can't win without the ball- Can't run without legs either but that's another issue.

Completion rate's are important as there are very few teams that have the resilience to defend for long periods let alone short periods even as the scores in games suggest. If a team fails to complete sets they are just handing more ball back to the opposition and more opportunities to score points.

That rushing defence as you say fell away after the First Penrith try - it was kind of like they were resigned to their fate.

Not sure why teams don't do something different from the kick off though - seems daft to concede try after try and do the same kick off over and over and over again - Short kick off / The Mick Cronin grubber kick off from the early 80's/ or just belt the ball from the kick off towards touch.- Try to get the ball back and change the momentum.

Titans vs Manly game - Titans try a short kick off near full time - What was the point of doing that then- 30 odd minutes too late - practice for a future game perhaps
            Last edited by King Salvo; 06-21-2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky_Fried_Rooster View Post

I feel the Storm and Panthers are the two teams so far ahead it isn't funny.

Next you have Manly not far behind and if they continue the way they are playing could win it but I don't think they can without a lot of luck and the bounce of the green going their way.

Then Souths, Parra and us, with injuries being the reason we aren't equal with the top 2 teams.
              We played well, very well, at the start of the game...until Manu killed all our momentum.
              It was all down hill from there and we never recovered.

Comment

The only positive from that game was the lads that travelled up there to support the boys and brought the drum. Stuck it up the panthers fans and actually created an atmosphere there....

Comment

Originally posted by nayfo View Post

Did you notice that Panthers didn’t actually attempt to catch those high balls. They jump and wave their arms in front of us,but pull them away to put us off and it worked.

Comment

"If" Walker and Hutch played in the halves with Keighran starting at hooker, Radley at lock with Verrills, Liu, Nat Butcher, Baker coming off the bench. Manu in right centre with Suaalii at right wing (instead of Ikuvalu). I dare say we would have had a much better chance against the Roided up Panfers !

Note: Tupouniua missing was a big out for us due to his punch and threat in attack.
                    Last edited by DP1990; 06-22-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Positives is that aside from those gone for the year, the return of Rads, Walker, Sitili, Butcher and hopefully Hutch for the next time we meet them should make us more competitive.

Comment

There were some positives. One was the opening 13 minutes. Second was Suaalii’s defence on To’o, he did a very good job on him and third was JWH who once again stood up when we needed someone to stand up.

Comment

I mostly agree with King Sal but the Chooks were beaten by an undefeated combination and one helluva football team it has to be said. It's a change of the guard and the Club is on the decline once again. There will be disappointing times ahead what with Cordner and Friend gone. We might have got them had we played them without the Origin Boys but was never gonna happen with their full compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterfarian View Post

And most of those dropped high balls are leading to tries.

As much as he offers in attack, those dropped bills are killing us and you can't survive in first grade with that strike rate in diffusing bombs.
                            Can you imagine if we had Ikavalu catching the raiders bombs in 2019 GF? Do you think we would’ve held that trophy aloft that night? We missed BMoz last Friday more than we missed Cordner or Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddo Colt 61 View Post
                              I mostly agree with King Sal but the Chooks were beaten by an undefeated combination and one helluva football team it has to be said. It's a change of the guard and the Club is on the decline once again. There will be disappointing times ahead what with Cordner and Friend gone. We might have got them had we played them without the Origin Boys but was never gonna happen with their full compliment.
                              I actually reckon this year will be one we look back on as key in our future success. Yes, it's been really tough but the exposure the younger guys have gotten is priceless and I reckon it'll pay in spades in the next 2 - 3 years.

Provided Teddy stays fit and at his peak and Keary can recover fully, I reckon the window is definitely still open. And f*ck me, we are due some luck with injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by barryd View Post

Did you notice that Panthers didn’t actually attempt to catch those high balls. They jump and wave their arms in front of us,but pull them away to put us off and it worked.
                                The Panthers didn't attempt to catch the ball because they know that Iku can't catch a high ball with a bit of defensive pressure. Which was my point exactly.
                                Do you think Tupou would care if the Panthers waved their hands around?

The reality is he's a liability under the high ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X