Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Im sorry to hear that player 1.
    Would be interesting to know what he would of thought of Latrell if he saw him play.
    By no means do I think Dave Brown wasnt good because all my life of following the Chooks Dave Brown has been a name Ive always heard like Dally.
    My answer for who is the best centre to ever play for the Roosters was based on who Ive seen not who Ive heard about.
    Fair enough.

Dad would have loved watching Latrell play for us.

I thought he was on the way to being one of the greatest roosters ever, but his career with us was cut short.

In reality, without him, I don't know if we would have won those 2 premierships 2018/19.

Reading some of what you've posted at various times, you've been open about making mistakes in your life, and I sure have too. Latrell has made mistakes and regarding Joey he paid a big price that probably cost Souths a premiership. He is an amazing athlete and there is no getting around that as a high profile indigenous fella he faces a lot of pressure and influence good and bad from those around him.

He's paid his price for the Joey hit and moving forward I hope he finds peace and success.

Comment

How many on here saw Dave Brown play live, in the flesh?
      You'll be showing your age if anyone says yes. He finished playing in 1941 thats 80 years ago.
      Coggy probably came close.

I voted Harris over Jennings of the players I've seen.

No doubt Dally and Dave were by far the best based on stats and what those who saw them have said about them.

Would be interesting say post 1970 where most here would have seen play.

Comment

Still no votes for MJ.
        I never said he was the best though just better than Latrell

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post

Fair enough.

Dad would have loved watching Latrell play for us.

I thought he was on the way to being one of the greatest roosters ever, but his career with us was cut short.

In reality, without him, I don't know if we would have won those 2 premierships 2018/19.

Reading some of what you've posted at various times, you've been open about making mistakes in your life, and I sure have too. Latrell has made mistakes and regarding Joey he paid a big price that probably cost Souths a premiership. He is an amazing athlete and there is no getting around that as a high profile indigenous fella he faces a lot of pressure and influence good and bad from those around him.

He's paid his price for the Joey hit and moving forward I hope he finds peace and success.
          Well said mate plus I'll give you a like.

Comment

Luke Ricketson

Comment

No mentions for clappin Shannon Hegarty?

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post

Who saw Bradman bat? Doesn't mean he wasn't the best batsman of all time. Seeing someone play isn't a criteria to judge their ability.
                True, he stands head and shoulders above any batsman from any era. There were a few guys with averages in the 50s and 60s in every decade or era including his but nobody before or since has come close to what he did. I have seen some dopey arguments where it was said oh yeh, but the bowlers were not quite as quick, the spinners not as skilled and fielders not as fit etc. Yet the best any other batsmen could avge was still around the same as the best of the modern era. He was just a freak as was Brown in league around the same period.

Comment

Ryan Williamson

Comment

John Brass and Mark Harris were the best centre pairing i have seen at Easts.

Michael Jennings was devasting in.2013.

Special mention to Ron Saddler, fantastic defensive centre.

I mentioned four , cant bring it down to one. If i had to choose one of those four i would say John Brass.
                    Last edited by horrie hastings; 10-05-2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I was at Redfern Oval as a kid watching Roosters Rabbits trial -around 1980- & there was a old bloke on the hill near us with a bottle of grog chanting "hold the line Souths, hold the line Souths" but he would do it even when Souths had the ball. We would laugh our heads off and one time he turned around and said "Hey who you support" and we said Roosters and he replied " Dave Brown was the best player i've ever seen,even better than Churchill". We were like "Who is Dave Brown????"

A year or so later a Qld front rower called Dave Brown joined the Roosters and i remember thinking " this must be the guy but he is a fat shit. That old bloke is nuts"

Sidenote- i we saw and heard what seemed like 2 car crashes that day in 30 minutes. Dont know who the 2 Rooster forwards were that ran into Charlie Frith were but they got stretchered by the St Johns ambulance men like they were deceased

Comment

Originally posted by Insider View Post

True, he stands head and shoulders above any batsman from any era. There were a few guys with averages in the 50s and 60s in every decade or era including his but nobody before or since has come close to what he did. I have seen some dopey arguments where it was said oh yeh, but the bowlers were not quite as quick, the spinners not as skilled and fielders not as fit etc. Yet the best any other batsmen could avge was still around the same as the best of the modern era. He was just a freak as was Brown in league around the same period.
                        Not to mention the bats were laughable in Bradmans era, not to mention the pitches designed to be a more even balance between bat and ball.

If Bradman was playing with today's bats on today's roads he'd likely be averaging 120

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post

Not to mention the bats were laughable in Bradmans era, not to mention the pitches designed to be a more even balance between bat and ball.

If Bradman was playing with today's bats on today's roads he'd likely be averaging 120
                          Agree totally .In Browns day they played with leather footballs when the ball became wet with sweat or rain it gets heavy and slippery for him to score 5 trys and boot 15 goals in one game playing with the gear that was available then is a superhuman effort. If he was running and kicking these synthetic footballs he probably scores 50 trys in a season and kicks at 95%.A few years ago Robbo took the roosters squad down to Waverley cemetery to visit his grave. Very unlikley anybody will better his records even with the touch footy style 6 again rubbish that they play today

Comment

Brown and Dally M were voted in as immortals by people who never saw them play

Comment

I voted for Harris a I limited myself to players I had watched play. No doubt Dally M and Brown were exceptional but I loved big Mark amd his intimidating looks and moustache, I wished I could grow to be like him. Unfortunately the only thing that grew was my midriff and alas my footy dream was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post
                                I voted for Harris a I limited myself to players I had watched play. No doubt Dally M and Brown were exceptional but I loved big Mark amd his intimidating looks and moustache, I wished I could grow to be like him. Unfortunately the only thing that grew was my midriff and alas my footy dream was dead.
                                You got the Mark Harris mo though

Comment

Working...
                                X