No announcement yet.

Best centre to play for the ESDRLFC since 1908

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Paddo Colt 61;n910340][QUOTE=Schooner; Im old enough to have seen Ron Saddler John Brass and Mark Harris play. For their era all were great but Mark Harris was the standout He was regularly picked for Australia whereas the other two had briefer international careers.....John Brass was a very skillful player but Harris had speed and was huge. He was bigger than most forwards. That 1975 backline was probably the best ever.

There is a school of thought Schooner that Harris was the force that he was because Brass was inside him (just saying that seems weird given the field formation of today). Both were recruited after the disaster of 1966 Harris on the advice of a spotter in PNG and Brass, a Rugby International (possibly with Dick Thornett the standout converts to League at the time). Ex Sydney High, Brass was a highly intelligent Centre who looked far more like a bank clerk than did Cameron Smith and who had an amazing (at the time) long spiral pass that put Harris, moving at speed, on the outside of his opponent and Mark was quick and physical with a good swerve but not much else by way of footwork. Those two, along with Beetson who was dominant in the middle (where all of the Pigs were located) and often the prime mover in attack, revived the Club's parlous fortunes.

[/QUOTE]

Mark Harris to me 1979 after telling him how good he was ..reply we were all mostly average Artie made us look good we all just ran off his plays...I always loves the big hard fast running centers... Cleal.Harris ...Mitchell(gulp)
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Before Grothe (Snr), Miles, Meninga, Close, Jonah Lomu, there was Mark Harris.

Comment

Latrell by default was the powerful, fast centre like Harris. But he could also play the silky smooth game like Brass.

Manu by default was the more silky, skillful player like Brass, but can also play the power game like Harris.

For this reason, I'm gonna say the Mitchell-Manu combo (at only 23 yo) was better than the Harris-Brass combo - but only just.

Comment

Working...
        X