Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steakface View Post

Absolutely no more than that.

I love Joey, but you can't afford to tie up too much money in your 3/4 line.

That is one thing We and Melbourne do extremely well - manage our wingers and centers money properly.

Looks at Toops, RTS, Latrell, Manu etc...all unknowns who we brought through our system, were not expensive until they became hot property later.
    The Morris boys were cheap too.
    You are 100% correct.
    ‘It doesn’t matter how good Manu is, if we pay overs for a centre then we will wreck our cap management.
    People are saying he is worth a million, this may be true but paying a million for a centre does not win competitions.
    I said this when we were going through this with Mitchell. I actually believe Latrell was a better centre than Manu but I think Manu would would make a better Fullback.

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post

Absolutely no more than that.

I love Joey, but you can't afford to tie up too much money in your 3/4 line.

That is one thing We and Melbourne do extremely well - manage our wingers and centers money properly.

Looks at Toops, RTS, Latrell, Manu etc...all unknowns who we brought through our system, were not expensive until they became hot property later.
      The Morris boys were cheap too.
      RTS wasn’t an unknown literally every single team in the competition tried to sign him when he was young and Latrell to a lesser extent wasn’t an unknown either there was plenty of hype around him when he was 16 or so, people used to say at the games who were involved in youth teams “don’t worry about RTS there’s this kid called Latrell Mitchell who will be better”

Comment

i pray to god we dont lose manu. absolutely love him. my favourite player just due to everything he does being silky smooth

regarding the other stuff, dont really expect much will come from any of it

Comment

Originally posted by Davo View Post
          Sport Confidential: Warriors target Joey Manu and Marate Niukore in major signing blitz

The Warriors could send the NRL player market into a spin if they can pull off an ambitious multimillion-dollar signing blitz.

The Warriors are preparing to launch an ambitious multimillion-dollar signing blitz that could have serious ramifications for two of Sydney’s most powerful clubs.

Sydney Roosters centre Joey Manu and Parramatta lock Marate Niukore have been in the Warriors’ sights for some time, but from Monday they can table official offers to the pair.

It has the potential to send the player market into a tailspin. Manu is likely to command a deal in the vicinity of $1 million. Niukore is likely to receive offers upwards of $500,000.

​​​​​​Both would expect deals of at least three years, maybe four. All told, the combined offers could be worth as much as $6 million if they are for four years.

The Roosters have upped talks with Manu this week and there have been whispers that they have offered the centre a deal worth as much as $800,000 a season.

​​​​​​Yet the Warriors, and potentially the Wests Tigers, can give him what the Roosters can’t — a place in the spine and an ability to get his hands more frequently on the ball.

The Roosters showed with Latrell Mitchell that they won’t be dragged into a bidding war. When Mitchell haggled over their offer, they simply walked away and left him to South Sydney.

They will do the same with Manu if it comes to that. At the same time, the Roosters are well aware of Manu’s qualities and are desperate to keep him.

The same goes for Parramatta and Niukore, who also has interest from St George Illawarra. The Eels backrower is among a slew of Parramatta players entering the final year of their deals but few are in as much demand as Niukore, with the Warriors at the front of the queue.
          joey doesnt want to go to NZ. he does like qld tho.
          1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post

joey doesnt want to go to NZ. he does like qld tho.
            You spoke with him did you?

Comment

Joey to me doesn’t look like a person that is consumed by ‘greed’. Anyone thinking that an extra $100k or more will make him happy doesn’t know him. I’m sure that what he’s getting now is more than many people get and his next contract with us would be higher, not to the extent of the worriers, but enough to still give him a good future after the game.

Stop being dramatic that ‘he’s gone ‘ because until today, he hasn’t!

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post
                Joey to me doesn’t look like a person that is consumed by ‘greed’. Anyone thinking that an extra $100k or more will make him happy doesn’t know him. I’m sure that what he’s getting now is more than many people get and his next contract with us would be higher, not to the extent of the worriers, but enough to still give him a good future after the game.

WB ROC.

My concern about Joey staying is whether him waiting to test the market is a slap in the face to Uncle Nick and Robbo.
                I doubt we offered him under $800K as we did Trell but as soon as Trell wanted to test the market his papers were marked even though he apparently ended up wanting to stay.
                If Joey wants to test the market then I see it nothing more than trying to grab that extra $100K+. If he came back and said he is happy to take our offer would Uncle Nick and Robbo agree?
                Yes Trell's case was different because he verbally agreed and went back on his word. But being made a good offer and then saying thanks but I want to try and get more is a big concern.

DISCLAIMER:
                I haven't spoken to Joey, his manager, any family member, friend, team mate, Robbo or Uncle Nick.
                These are my own opinions based on absolutely no knowledge of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post

It probably isn’t about the money, but it might be about playing fullback.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

It probably isn’t about the money, but it might be about playing fullback.
                    I reckon a combination of both. When I played, I much prefered fullback than centre...and that was before 2nd rowers were lurking inside you... if I could get the same coin or more playing in a prefered position, I would consider it. Especially if I'd already had a premiership or two under my belt.
                    And whilst Joey doesn't come across as motivated purely by money, he is a family man by the look of it and would like to make sure his lot are well and truly looked after. (but I don't know this for a fact) Nobody knows what he is thinking...but I think we can say that pure greed for himself is not the motive. And by that, and him saying, "I've done it all and have the opportunity to really bank some coin over the next few years" is not greed!
                    I think he would be genuinely torn... when I've taken new jobs for the right reasons (coin and career advancement) the factor that made the consideration hardest was always leaving the team and my colleagues.

Comment

Manu goes then Manu goes. King Grub was a bigger loss. Can't keep all the Pokemon.

Comment

I consider Manu as one of the best players of the game and his peak starts now...we must keep him at all cost
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post

I didn't read that anywhere in his post. It's a conundrum but I agree with many others. He plays his best football either at 6 or 1, perhaps even on the Wing. So paying him $1M to play in the Centres is just not an option. You don't win comps by spending your biggest bucks on Centres. I love him and he was incredible this year but we simply cannot offer him close to $1.1M.

Brandon Smith is more than a dummy half, he is a power forward and dummy half rolled into one. I can even remember him kicking a 40/20 at one stage of a match when the Storm were under some pressure. He is an elite talent and the spine is where you focus on getting the very best. I wouldn't say no to him. He is a winner and I believe the Storm win the comp if he doesn't get injured, alongside Welch in the Prelim final.
                          Agree wholeheartedly with everything you wrote, I think it may come down to that Joey will be able to play fullback and involve himself more in the game at the warriors. We have all seen how good a player he has been whilst filling in when Teddy has been out.
                          The Storm have had the template for the last 20 years that you put your money into the spine and not spend huge money on edge backrowers and centres who rarely touch the ball in comparison.
                          If he leaves it will be a huge blow as was losing RTS and Latrell but we will dust ourselves off and get on with it.
                          In regards to your last paragraph on Smith and the Storm it rings true to me, losing those two early stopped them from going back to back as the toll of playing in the Brisbane heat in a day game with two short took its toll on the end. The cheese is a beast in the middle and would give us a different edge that we are lacking at the moment.

Comment

It won’t be personal… he is in 600k… he will earn $1.1k

He will pay less tax … He will play fullback ( his best position )

He has won 2 comps …

He is a Kiwi…

We can’t afford him

This happens to all teams

Comment

Originally posted by Monaco's Fan Club View Post

He will pay less tax … He will play fullback ( his best position )

He has won 2 comps …

He is a Kiwi…

We can’t afford him

This happens to all teams
                              Could you ever imagine the roosters losing players like RTS,Latrell and Manu within 5 years?

That’s the price of keeping teddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Monaco's Fan Club View Post

I can't see Manu taking $598,900 paycut just to play fullback.

Comment

Working...
                                X