Rooster news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
    I agree. He's a huge asset to the team. Both as a game breaking centre and in his ability to cover fullback.

The only question is at what cost. 800k would be at the absolute limit I'd imagine.

This isn't about Manu's talent. It's purely about how much we are willing to pay him and recognising what wins Premeirships. And the answer isn't 1.1m centres.

The Warriors will always be failures because they are willing to pay 1.1m for Joey Manu where as we will continue to be successful because we know when to say "too much".

If losing Manu means we enter 2023 with a centre pairing from Billy Smith/Joseph Suaalii/Momirovski plus a spine player like Brandon Smith well that's a winning combination.

The Warriors need to ask why are they willing to pay 1.1m for Joey when that would be enough to sign Brandon Smith who was the most influential middle third player in the comp in 2021. They are insane.
    Brandon Smith isn’t even the best hooker at the Storm lol

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post
      For the want of Brad Fittler being fit, the Roosters got within a game or two of the grand final several years in a row with Peter Jorgenson and Shane Whereat on the wing. Wings and centres that don't have extra strings to their bow don't rate a million dollars. Look at the bargain basement centre Adam Keighran, a 75% goalkicker. If Manu takes the money, good on him, you only have one career and business is business.
      thought it may have been Jorgensen and junee, with junee scoring that amazing try v broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post
        For the want of Brad Fittler being fit, the Roosters got within a game or two of the grand final several years in a row with Peter Jorgenson and Shane Whereat on the wing. Wings and centres that don't have extra strings to their bow don't rate a million dollars. Look at the bargain basement centre Adam Keighran, a 75% goalkicker. If Manu takes the money, good on him, you only have one career and business is business.
        Money is not everything as a few of the Atlanta Braves players could have taken the Money route during the rebuild years but stayed the course and are now playing in the World Series vs Houston Astros.

5 times All Star Freddy Freeman's 8 year 135 mill contract (16.8 Mill per season ) which is a small contact as far as the MLB goes expires end of October - he hits Free Agency in November so be interested to see what happens as he said he wants to stay with the Atlanta Braves.

Tied at 1 all with 3 games in Atlanta coming up -Braves are down a starting pitcher though with Charlie Morton fracturing his leg after being struck by a ground ball in game 1 so the Bull Pen will need to work overtime to cover this as Morton would have been Scheduled to Start in Game 4.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1453187343473680389
        Last edited by King Salvo; 10-29-2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SamKerrSimp View Post

According to who?

Smith was the best hooker in the comp in 2021 by a million miles.

Comment

The best centre in the game is Justin Olam & he would be on around 400k I think maybe not even that but the difference with Manu is that he can play 3 other positions & he plays them pretty good, so is being able to play 3 other positions fairly well worth an extra 500 to 600k per season compared to what the best centre in the game is being paid?
            If Manu did move on then surely if the Chooks offered Olam 650k per season he would come to the Chooks. Olams not a utility just a pure hard arse centre.

Comment

According to who?

Smith was the best hooker in the comp in 2021 by a million miles.
              What do you like about his game? And make it tangible, not “he’s dynamic” “he’s x-factor” etc

Comment

Your dreaming, he's heaps better than Grant.
                In all honesty if you had to chose between Verrills, Smith & Grant surely you would go with Smith.
                Mate he's dynamite, he's a game breaker, he's a dead set footy head that loves the confrontation & the battle. The harder it gets out on the field the more he likes it. He's as tough as nails.

Comment

Grant’s a better hooker but Smith is a better footballer.

Comment

At least it will stop the hating idiots calling the Roosters 'rorters'.......oh hang on, no it won't....because they will still be hating idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                      The best centre in the game is Justin Olam & he would be on around 400k I think maybe not even that but the difference with Manu is that he can play 3 other positions & he plays them pretty good, so is being able to play 3 other positions fairly well worth an extra 500 to 600k per season compared to what the best centre in the game is being paid?
                      If Manu did move on then surely if the Chooks offered Olam 650k per season he would come to the Chooks. Olams not a utility just a pure hard arse centre.

Mate Manu is ten times the centre Olam is

Comment

i just listened to a podcast , where buzz tipped manu to stay with us. not sure if there is any truth to it.

he also felt we were a reasonable chance of landing smith especially post the cocaine fiasco .

interesting, common wisdom on here seems to be manu will leave and brandin wont come.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post
                          i just listened to a podcast , where buzz tipped manu to stay with us. not sure if there is any truth to it.

he also felt we were a reasonable chance of landing smith especially post the cocaine fiasco .

interesting, common wisdom on here seems to be manu will leave and brandin wont come.
                          Must have some dosh in the Kitty then for both of these - I don't think Smith would come though but hopeful Manu stays

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Excellent player and very good goal kicker. I believe he recently re-signed with Saints.
                            Yes he did sign a long term contract. Would be a great signing. If only…….

Comment

I agree. He's a huge asset to the team. Both as a game breaking centre and in his ability to cover fullback.

The only question is at what cost. 800k would be at the absolute limit I'd imagine.

This isn't about Manu's talent. It's purely about how much we are willing to pay him and recognising what wins Premeirships. And the answer isn't 1.1m centres.

The Warriors will always be failures because they are willing to pay 1.1m for Joey Manu where as we will continue to be successful because we know when to say "too much".

If losing Manu means we enter 2023 with a centre pairing from Billy Smith/Joseph Suaalii/Momirovski plus a spine player like Brandon Smith well that's a winning combination.

The Warriors need to ask why are they willing to pay 1.1m for Joey when that would be enough to sign Brandon Smith who was the most influential middle third player in the comp in 2021. They are insane.
                              I have to agree

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyCoastChook View Post

Mate Manu is ten times the centre Olam is
                                Last three times we have played the Storm Olam has towelled Joey up

Comment

Working...
                                X