No announcement yet.

Manu puts Roosters in awkward position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was good enough to be an NRL player and the chooks offered me $800,000 a season and any other club offered me $1,000,000 a season especially if it was a Sydney club it would be hard to say no.
    Us fans see it different and only see it though RWB glasses, a player it's a career and most play for around 10 years.
    You have to make the most money while you can, not many have career to fall back on after footy. A million plus extra earned over that 10 years can make a big difference in setting them up for life.

I hope Manu stays but have no problem him wanting to set himself up finically, same with any other player in our squad who decides to leave for a big pay day.

Comment

$800K is a lot of coin.
      Its $14,000 a week , 52 weeks a year.
      Good money if you can make it.
      Its what you do with this money that sets you up for life.
      How you use it and make it work for you.
      It doesn’t matter if you earn a million plus elsewhere - if you f&ck it up with bad spending habits , bad investment decisions and don’t forget the extra tax bites in at 50 percent
      Roosters have made Joey a fair deal. He will get the occasional game at f/b and 5/8 anyway. Plus he will be in a side full of great players, who are playing for slight unders anyway to stay in the team. Great coach too , and we will be genuine premiership contenders in future seasons.
      Its up to him to show the loyalty, or chase the $ with the opportunity of playing in a dud team , having a couple of ordinary seasons, then see your market value drop like a stone when you renegotiate your contract in 3 years time

Comment

Sorry, $16.000 per week. More than most of us earn in a month

Comment

Originally posted by roostermcgregor View Post
          Sorry, $16.000 per week. More than most of us earn in a month
          Yep and the $200k gap between $800 and $1m is more than most of us will earn in a year. Big money... especially when some sorta trade's the most likely fallback for many of these guys. It ain't peanuts.

When you factor in tax, these guys aren't paid THAT much. I mean... wankaz like Tomic and Kyrgios (who've dead set achieved nothing & are just little brats) drive around in Ferraris, rent $50k a night penthouses for parties and are likely Cayman Islands tax residents. These guys play 4 tournaments a year and mostly get knocked out in the first round (while having a massive tantrum & blaming some minor injury in a non-contact sport once they know they're gonna lose). Footy players work for their money and IMO your average footy player's career earnings (as footy players) will be significantly less than many of us. Heck - there's be lotsa randoms around to eastern suburbs who earn $500k+ in some back office or owner operated business.
          Last edited by ism22; 11-01-2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Comments from Rothfield this morning,

MANU TO RE-COMMIT TO ROOSTERS

Joey Manu is one of the hottest names to become a ‘free agent’ from Monday. The Roosters superstar took his game to another level this season, especially impressing when he filled in at fullback and five-eighth.

The 25-year-old caught the attention of the Warriors who have been very open about their intentions to table him an offer for 2023 and beyond.

​​​​​​

The offer is said to be around the $1 million per season mark given the club has a lot of cash to spend after Roger Tuivasa-Sheck’s departure.

It was reported over the weekend that Manu’s desire to permanently switch to fullback or five-eighth could force the Roosters to let him go given they’ve already got James Tedesco and Luke Keary in those positions.

However, in a huge boost for the Roosters, Rothfield believes Manu will re-sign with the club in the next two days on a deal worth around $150,000 less than what he could get at the Warriors.

“I think in the next 48 hours, the great Roosters centre Joey Manu, who’s going to get a $1 million-plus offer from the Warriors, I think he’s going to recommit to the Roosters,” he told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“I think he’s going to take unders, probably $850,000 or something like that. I think he wants to be a one-club player.

“They’re about to hit 30 and Joey’s much younger. I think that will come... I’m getting good mail that he’ll stay at the Roosters.”

Comment

Originally posted by Davo View Post
              Comments from Rothfield this morning,

MANU TO RE-COMMIT TO ROOSTERS

Joey Manu is one of the hottest names to become a ‘free agent’ from Monday. The Roosters superstar took his game to another level this season, especially impressing when he filled in at fullback and five-eighth.

The 25-year-old caught the attention of the Warriors who have been very open about their intentions to table him an offer for 2023 and beyond.

​​​​​​

The offer is said to be around the $1 million per season mark given the club has a lot of cash to spend after Roger Tuivasa-Sheck’s departure.

It was reported over the weekend that Manu’s desire to permanently switch to fullback or five-eighth could force the Roosters to let him go given they’ve already got James Tedesco and Luke Keary in those positions.

However, in a huge boost for the Roosters, Rothfield believes Manu will re-sign with the club in the next two days on a deal worth around $150,000 less than what he could get at the Warriors.

“I think in the next 48 hours, the great Roosters centre Joey Manu, who’s going to get a $1 million-plus offer from the Warriors, I think he’s going to recommit to the Roosters,” he told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“I think he’s going to take unders, probably $850,000 or something like that. I think he wants to be a one-club player.

“They’re about to hit 30 and Joey’s much younger. I think that will come... I’m getting good mail that he’ll stay at the Roosters.”
              Fknnnnn oath.

As I said yesterday Manu is one of my all time favourite Roosters, most humble guy you'll ever come across and comes from such a nice family. This genuinely makes me so happy that he is likely to be staying, and shows how much the Roosters mean to him. Awesome, awesome news to start the day!

Comment

Interview here about around 9 mins from Rothfield

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/fWFdVH.mp3

Comment

Jeez this time I hope Buzz’s mail is right

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Yep and the $200k gap between $800 and $1m is more than most of us will earn in a year. Big money... especially when some sorta trade's the most likely fallback for many of these guys. It ain't peanuts.

When you factor in tax, these guys aren't paid THAT much. I mean... wankaz like Tomic and Kyrgios (who've dead set achieved nothing & are just little brats) drive around in Ferraris, rent $50k a night penthouses for parties and are likely Cayman Islands tax residents. These guys play 4 tournaments a year and mostly get knocked out in the first round (while having a massive tantrum & blaming some minor injury in a non-contact sport once they know they're gonna lose). Footy players work for their money and IMO your average footy player's career earnings (as footy players) will be significantly less than many of us. Heck - there's be lotsa randoms around to eastern suburbs who earn $500k+ in some back office or owner operated business.
                    How you ever looked at an atp schedule before? They play way more than 4 tournaments a year the top players would be playing around 20 each year (pre covid anyway)

also if you think the average footy player earns less than the average Australia over a life time you are in a fantasy land, a few doctors in the eastern suburbs doesn’t outweighs the millions of Australians on $80k or less. Christ what dribble.

Comment

Strong feeling the boy will stay and deservedly so.
                      Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                        Why is it so hard to believe that people value things other than money?

We're not talking about the difference between earning 60k p.a. vs 90k p.a. when you've got a young family.

This is a young footballer who would still earn over 5m dollars over the next 7 years at a football club. A football club with the smartest connections away from the game that'd help Joey invest that money wisely to set himself up for life.

You don't think Cords turned down more money elsewhere? Toops, Aubo... it's hardly unheard of.

The next 7 years will be the remainder of the pinnacle of Joey's life. Does he want to spend those days earning 5.6m (800k p.a.) at the club he loves - winning Premierships and surrounded by long time mates. Or the alternative of 7m (a smaller gap after tax) playing little to no finals footy at a club with a losing culture.

For another example, Cody Walker is apparently set to sign a 1yr extension for 600k when he could earn 1m elsewhere. But he LOVES Souffs (yuck). Should he just follow the money and say "to hell with my dreams and passion in life?"
                        Maybe Walker is signing a 1 year extension as a wait and see how say the Dolphins go in their first year - not sure if they will be like the Raiders/Steelers for an example when they first joined in taking a few years to be competitive on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCok007 View Post
                          Jeez this time I hope Buzz’s mail is right
                          He normally has very good mail from us

Comment

I think buzz is right on this one.

There is a massive difference between Manu and Fatrell in many ways.

Comment

Doesnt it sound weird when $850,000/yr is considered "unders" .....hope Buzz is on the money !

Comment

Buzz seems to have an inside lane on Roosters scoops in recent years, I'm sure it's a reciprocal arrangement. He treats us kindly in the press, and in return he gets to break all our stories. This looks promising.

Comment

Working...
                                X