Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently B Smith gave the Dolphins verbal guarantees...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

There's bo contract unless there's an offer, acceptance and consideration. Personally, I think that offers to treat and expressions of interest are just that.

I know some people hate me bringing up my work experience ('this is the NRL, not a workplace') kinda thing but it's literally just bog standard employment contract negotiations.

Heck, I had a friend specifically ask me to apply for a job, followed by a 2 hour phone-call with 2 partners from the said law firm (in August). We were all chattie and I went away thinking 'that's as good as an offer'. Heck, it was going REALLY well, then I inadvertently told them I speak fluent Japanese, which had them jumping up and down with excitement (lotsa big Japanese customers with Japanese work cultures...etc in this area). However, they never responded to my application. About a month ago I sent them an e-mail asking if they had any updates... no response. I'll never know why they got cold feet but that's business! Again, I thought I the interview went extremely well. Obviously they didn't... HAPPENS! Isn't something that particularly bothers me (and I doubt Wayne/Smiddy would care).
    When you have to email them to follow up your application one can well assume you were not successful- Private Sector are poor on this and so now is the Public Sector.

I received an email last week for a role I applied for and was interviewed for including 3 capability assessments in 2019. mmm I was included in the talent pool which has expired - Talent pools last from 12 to 18 months depending on the recruiting Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

There's bo contract unless there's an offer, acceptance and consideration. Personally, I think that offers to treat and expressions of interest are just that.
      No, I meant was it written or spoken. Every communication is verbal, some are oral like Brandon Smith on that podcast or some are written, like this.

Comment

Even if there was a verbal agreement, there is still a cooling down period - is there not?

Even then, it's difficult to prove when the contract has been agreed etc

Anyway, this is awesome. Karma for Bennett.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post

You think any club is going to take a player to court to force them to sign and play for them ?? Good luck with that one mate.
          Terry Hill comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Terry Hill comes to mind.
            Yeah, I thought someone would bring that up. I guess it was different because of the draft, but still, it didn't work out well for us.
            Actually I think it was Hill, who took the NSWRL to court to get out of the draft, not US trying to force him to play.

He played much better footy for other clubs.

Comment

Recall that Teddy signed with the Raiders and was allowed to reneg. They were the NRL rules at the time which allowed players to reneg up until June 30 (?) on contract signed signed before that date. The point being, the clubs and players have also signed contracts that legally binds them to the NRL rules.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post
                Recall that Teddy signed with the Raiders and was allowed to reneg. They were the NRL rules at the time which allowed players to reneg up until June 30 (?) on contract signed signed before that date. The point being, the clubs and players have also signed contracts that legally binds them to the NRL rules.
                The Raiders do as the announcement's still on their website from 2014...

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2014...james-tedesco/

> The Canberra Raiders are pleased to announce the signing of rising star James Tedesco on a three year contract from the beginning of the 2015 season.

> Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner said the signing of Tedesco was a marquee one for the club and said the Raiders had been following his progress though his junior years and were thrilled to have him sign with the Raiders.

> “James is an outstanding young talent who we see as a big signing for the Raiders and we look forward to him joining the club at the beginning of the 2015 season,” Furner said. “The Raiders have followed James’ progress from his days at St Gregory’s College Campbelltown and we know being from Camden, James will fit into the lifestyle and culture here in Canberra.”

> “We wish him a successful season for the remainder of 2014 with the Wests Tigers and look forward to him joining us for pre-season 2015.”

---

In Teddy's case, he decided to stay because Farah convinced him at the 11th hour (after the Faders had jumped the gun in announcing it).

As a member, I notice that my 'members first' signing news always comes weeks after it's become apparent that somebody's signing/re-signing. IMO we're extra cautious about it because players can and do change their mind.

I mean what if Harry Grant came outta nowhere and announced he'd signed a lifetime DCE-esque, $1.5m a season deal with the Dolphins (e.g. while Smith took the limelight, Grant's been quietly negotiating away all this time)? Smith and the Drizz might change their minds about what's happening long-term. Stuff happens!
                Last edited by ism22; 12-03-2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

come back to bite the old fox

Comment

If Smith is at the Chooks & for some reason it doesn't work out Bennett would have no problem taking him. Coaches know you have to have top players to be a successful coach & he would let that broken handshake agreement go through to the keeper.

Comment

Lol @ Wayne. He would know better than anyone that handshake agreements mean nothing to many in the NRL. Nick and SBW are exceptions.

Also I'm finding it quite interesting to see the number of players the Dolphins are losing out on. Maybe Wayne is losing his recruitment poweress?

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva View Post
                        Lol @ Wayne. He would know better than anyone that handshake agreements mean nothing to many in the NRL. Nick and SBW are exceptions.

Also I'm finding it quite interesting to see the number of players the Dolphins are losing out on. Maybe Wayne is losing his recruitment poweress?
                        Yes.
                        The guy stinks.

Comment

Working...
                        X