Contract issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract issue

A lot of discussion around this with players able to sign for rival clubs in the last year of their contract with their current club. i.e 12 months in advance

The solution to this is easy as follows- players off contract that season.
    • Clubs have up to August 31st to re-sign players who are off contract that season.
    • For players off contract at the end of that season and not re-signed by August 31 their names go on a list of players available to be signed.
    • All clubs will receive a list of these players on 1st September.
    • Clubs can then EOI (express an interest) in talking to/signing that player to the players manager and player.- no negotiations of any sort can occur
    • At the end of the season ( day after the Grand Final) clubs can then talk to/negotiate with these players they have EOI'd
    • Clubs can still negotiate with their current contracted players who are coming off contract that season during this period - updated lists will be sent out to clubs if players re-sign and are no longer available.

Players now have 8 to 10 weeks off at seasons end so plenty of time to negotiate with clubs - the EOI system will enable the player to know which clubs are interested in signing them - they can short list the teams they will talk to etc.

Last edited by King Salvo; 12-02-2021, 04:04 PM.

I like it.

Something definitely needs to be done because the current system causes too many issues for everyone - clubs, players and fans.

Not sure if that would work for new clubs like the Dolphins but that doesn’t happen all that often but would still need a work around.

Comment

It ignores the reasons the current rules exist. i.e. player security, distractions during finals, teams want to finalise their roster in advance. There is no chance in hell the RLPA will agree to narrow the window by that much.

Comment

Players being able to sign with a rival club more than 12 months in advance is ludicrous. How are you meant to support a guy who wears your clubs colours, knowing he is playing for an opposition team the following year. I certainly couldn’t cheer for him. It’s really wrong that the NRL allows this to happen.

In saying that, I certainly look forward to watching Smith play for Melbourne next year and taking his game to an even higher level.

I can understand that players with families who need to relocate to another state might need more time because they will need to sort out schooling, housing etc. If they they sign a new contract in September for the following year, this really doesn’t give him a lot of time to organise all of this.

The whole system needs an overhaul.

King can you please write to The NRL and express my feelings.
        Last edited by Thirteen; 12-02-2021, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Futures....cant see anything wrong about signing a contract for the future ...IT blokes do it and many other forms of employment etc.
          The real problem is players not ptting in or feel like a change or whatever and wanting out ..that needs to be fixed make it harder for players to gain exits...contract payments etc...cant see why a club has to pay to get rid of a player that does not put in and wants out.
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

It doesnt matter what rules you bring in because clubs, players & agents will rort it.
            If people think that when a guy is coming off contract at the end of 2022 that no club or agent is talking to or doing anything till Nov 1 then you have rocks in your head.
            The Roosters went through the Melbourne front door 6 months ago & told them they are going after Brandon Smith.

Comment

I like the current model!

It alows the club to sift through who wants the jersey an who doesn't, it alows the club to move them on an work only on Roosters players for life! Finding die hard club players like Toops/JWH/RADLEY/ ALBO/ CORDNERS etc etc!

Dont have a problem with it hints why we release players that wanna leave for $$$$$!

Just because it's now a storm's player we fill the need to change it ??????? LOL
              Go have a cry an have a glass of cement

If an All blacks player plays overseas they get cut from the team to pursue $$$$$ NO DIFFERENT HERE AT THE ROOSTERS great culture an standards to follow!!!

All club's need to believe in there structures to have a culture if you dont then you end up being the Tigers struggling to make the 8 because no1 is there for the jersey just $$$$$

Comment

Go have a crayyy crayyy i say!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snapn1 View Post
                  I like the current model!

It alows the club to sift through who wants the jersey an who doesn't, it alows the club to move them on an work only on Roosters players for life! Finding die hard club players like Toops/JWH/RADLEY/ ALBO/ CORDNERS etc etc!

Dont have a problem with it hints why we release players that wanna leave for $$$$$!

Just because it's now a storm's player we fill the need to change it ??????? LOL
                  Go have a cry an have a glass of cement

If an All blacks player plays overseas they get cut from the team to pursue $$$$$ NO DIFFERENT HERE AT THE ROOSTERS great culture an standards to follow!!!

All club's need to believe in there structures to have a culture if you dont then you end up being the Tigers struggling to make the 8 because no1 is there for the jersey just $$$$$
                  Its all good when you have the culture but the Roosters culture was never before to the level it is today & thats because of Robbo. Culture comes from the coach who is smart enough to get the senior players to buy in to his way & then empowers them to lead it. Its not easy to do because if it was all 16 clubs could win the comp.

Thank God the Roosters finally got the right man in Robbo.
                  If Robbo went to the Wests Tigers they would become a top 4 club not straight away but within 4 years, if Robbo coached the Wallabies they would beat the All Blacks often.

Comment

I don't think many fans like the current system.
                    I think it would be bettter if contracts went from 1st November to 30 October.
                    Season ends 1 October, that gives the club and player 1 month to come to terms.
                    After that they can sign with another club.

I understand players wanting to secure their futures, but I don't think they need to sign anything a year in advance, or while they are contracted to a club.
                    I think the game and the fans needs take a higher priority.

Comment

Yet we are all excited that Haas will join us in 2025 but of course nobody attached to the Roosters has spoken to him.

Comment

Have to look it up but i can't recall a sport anywhere in the world were a player can sign with another club 12 months in advance though - Some sports have drafts/restricted agency/free agency/trade windows etc but most of these involving signing players are at seasons end- Some do have trade windows during the year.

I know the Atlanta Braves signed and traded some players during the MLB Trade period one being the Big Cuban Jorge Soler - not many home runs are hit out of the ground like his World Series game 6 one- soon as he hit he knew it was out of the park as did the Pitcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5i4vE5kxXE
                        Last edited by King Salvo; 12-02-2021, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                          Have to look it up but i can't recall a sport anywhere in the world were a player can sign with another club 12 months in advance though - Some sports have drafts/restricted agency/free agency/trade windows etc but most of these involving signing players are at seasons end- Some do have trade windows during the year.

I know the Atlanta Braves signed and traded some players during the MLB Trade period one being the Big Cuban Jorge Soler - not many home runs are hit out of the ground like his World Series game 6 one- soon as he hit he knew it was out of the park as did the Pitcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5i4vE5kxXE
                          Look up NBA/NFL

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post

I understand players wanting to secure their futures, but I don't think they need to sign anything a year in advance, or while they are contracted to a club.

You’re spot on Kid.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post

For the following season or the next year (1 year after}?
                              Your dreaming if you think clubs can only plan for the following season in October.

Storm, if they wanted, could have locked up Smith and Kaufusi....

Look at us with our players = Liu, Ikuvalu. We knew and had planned for life without them.

Comment

Working...
                              X