Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trent Robinson on the path towards being the greatest coach of all time

First of a two-part article on Robbo

Trent Robinson is about to start his 10th year in charge of the Sydney Roosters.

It has been an era of unprecedented success for the club and Robinson is being mentioned as the same breath as Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett when it comes to the best coaches in the modern game.

He may yet go down as the greatest coach in the game’s history, having this week signed a new deal with the club that will take him through until the end of 2028.

In the first of a two-part series, we kick off the debate about whether Robinson is the best coach in the game, tracks how he got to this point in his career and takes you inside the mind of a mentor who is destined to go down as one of the all-time greats.

THE GREATEST

The Sydney Roosters will begin this season among the favourites to win the premiership. It’s been a consistent theme throughout Robinson’s tenure at the Roosters.

They have been perennial contenders with Robinson at the helm, the wily coach working alongside arguably the game’s most respected chairman, Nick Politis. Between them, they are the heartbeat of the Roosters.

Politis has watched first-hand the tactical nous, coaching philosophies, relationships with players and operating rhythm of some of the game’s greatest coaches, including Jack Gibson.

The 80-year-old supremo insists Robinson, given his age – he turns 45 later this month – has the opportunity to dictate whether he finishes as the game’s greatest coach of all-time.

His record is already astonishing. In nine seasons, he has won three premierships and 66 per cent of his games in charge.

His record sits comfortably alongside Bellamy and Bennett over an initial 10-year period. He has become one of the game’s most influential figures and Politis has admitted for the first time publicly that Robinson’s style of leadership would be perfectly suited to that of a chief executive at an NRL club, or major corporation.

Few are better placed than Politis to make that assessment. The Roosters chair is a self-made billionaire who has mastered the art of making the right call, be it with his personal business or in turning the Roosters into an NRL force.

One of his greatest decisions was to take a punt on Robinson in late-2012 when the club parted ways with Brian Smith.

“He’d make a great CEO of a club - he’d be perfect,” Politis said.

“His skill is working with people and man management. That skill is required in every business as a leader of staff and in this case the players.

“He’s got that ability because he’s intelligent, he’s firm, rational and treats the players as their mentor, friend and coach.

“They can trust him as a mate and talk to him about personal stuff, or football and they respect him.’’

Robinson demands loyalty and gives it in return. Yet, Dean Robinson insists what separates his brother is his humility and his ability to make everyone feel like they are on the same footing.

“The one thing I always say to people that sets him apart from almost any leader I have seen - and that is a big statement because I have seen a lot of great business leaders too - is it doesn’t matter whether you are a two year old or the Prime Minister of Australia, he will meet you at your level,” Dean Robinson said.

“He is equally at home playing with kids as he is to speak to the highest diplomat in Australia. It doesn’t matter.

“Trying to coach athletes, the majority of whom are highly narcissistic, it is not easy to get them to your level.

“You have to go to them. They know that he cares for them. That is the most important thing - if you can get a player’s heart in your hand and they care for you, they will go to the end of the world for you.”

It is not just players who have benefited from that side of Trent Robinson’s personality. Only weeks into Trent Robinson’s coaching career at the Roosters, Dean Robinson was looking for a shoulder to lean on.

He found it in Trent and the Roosters.

INITIATION FROM HELL

Trent Robinson had barely got his feet under the desk at Bondi Junction when rugby league was given the first inkling of his greatness.

Robinson’s brother Dean was a fitness coach at Essendon when the ASADA scandal engulfed Australian sport.

Trent was still finding his feet at the Roosters with his brother’s help when their respective worlds were flipped upside down.

Dean Robinson concedes it could have unravelled in spectacular fashion for his brother. Instead, what happened next provided an early snapshot into the single-mindedness that has allowed Robinson to become one of the best coaches in Australian sport.

“Seriously, your whole world is rocked,” Dean Robinson told News Corp.

“The club (Essendon) has tossed me out, basically trying to make me the scapegoat for it. I said (to Trent) this is what has gone on, this is what has occurred.

“So he knew everything. He said, ‘okay, I am fine’. (Roosters) board members like Mark McInnes at the time and Nick (Politis) were very supportive.

“I think they got an understanding of what was going on pretty quick. Their support was enormous to me. Trent’s support, it was one of those things where I could pick the phone up at any stage and call him.

“If I was going through anything, he could be there as a support.”

When you consider what greeted Trent Robinson at the start of his tenure, you begin to understand what has made the Roosters coach one of the game’s greatest success stories.

Aside from his ability to connect with his players and the Roosters’ fans, he also has worked out how to divorce his personal life from the endless demands of controlling an NRL team.

When Robinson was with the Roosters, he was the coach. When he was with his brother, he was a confidante and support.

“Does loyalty run strong?” Dean Robinson said.

“Yes it does. He is very loyal. Loyalty is a big thing for him. The Essendon stuff broke in February in his first year as head coach. Yet he wins the premiership that year.

“I am going through everything that I have got - I was coming up and spending time with him and the club and the guys.

“That was probably quite difficult for him. It would have taken a toll. If he couldn’t divorce the two roles of brother and head coach, it could have been disastrous.”

History shows Robinson juggled the roles as well as anyone could. He led the Roosters to a premiership in his first season in charge, winning over the players in the process.

The groundwork was laid early.

THE SOOTHSAYER

Trent Robinson hit the phones immediately from France when he was given the Roosters job. Anthony Minichiello, who was the club’s most senior player at the time, recalls Robinson reaching out.

“We were on the phone for an hour and 20 minutes,” Minichiello said.

“He wanted to know what had happened while he was away. The conversation just flowed. When he came back he wasn’t a guy that said ‘this is what we are doing’. He showed us the way but let myself and others evolve as leaders.”

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves added: “We just finished the 2012 Four Nations and we were expecting a big break.

“He rang everyone and asked us to come to training two or three weeks early. He said he’d signed Sonny Bill and he was coming.

“He just asked “are you in”. It was clear from day one.”

His messaging was clear throughout his first pre-season. He left the leadership role open but dangled the captaincy in front of Minichiello.

While Minichiello remembers when Robinson called him into his office pre-Christmas to tell him he would lead the club, it was another conversation during that off-season which still sticks.

“He challenged us,” Minichiello said.

“He told us we aren’t full-time professionals and not a second half team. He wanted us to be professionals on and off the field.

“It was weird because in the grand final against Manly we were down by 10 points in the second half and there was a bit of panic and confusion.

“I told the boys to listen to what Robbo had instilled in us all year – don’t panic and remember we are a second half team. It came to fruition almost a year after he first said it.”

Perhaps his most important stop though was catching up with Williams in Japan before the dual-international officially linked with the Roosters.

Here was Robinson, a rookie coach, about to take charge of arguably the most high profile rugby player in the world.

Williams, who was playing for Panasonic Wild Knights, said it was easy playing under Robinson.

“He watched me play one of my games and we went out to dinner that night,” Williams said.

“I had a handshake deal with Politis that I was going to join the Roosters after my sabbatical, prison sentence from the NRL.

“I was under the impression that I would be playing under Brian Smith then everything happened and Trent was there.

“It was cool because as a coach, he knew there would be a lot of noise with me coming back.

“He took the time to stop and meet me as a man. We connected straight away. He is one of those coaches you just like playing for.

“(In my second stint) he had more of a harder approach, he was more confident.”

Part of Robinson’s charm is not reserving the star treatment for his biggest names. Waerea-Hargreaves recalls one-on-one video sessions with Robinson in 2010 when he was the Roosters’ defence coach.

According to the Kiwi enforcer, it was the first time anyone had taken such an interest in his career. For Joey Manu, he was a three-game player when Robinson invited him to his house alongside Manu’s parents Nooroa and Darnel in 2017.

“I remember taking them to his house,” Manu said.

“I was full-time but I wasn’t in the team. He was speaking to my parents and asking them questions and they loved it.

“He told me “you’ll be playing in the centres in 2018 and we will win the competition.”

THE LEGACY

Robinson’s influence is already beginning to stretch the length and breath of the NRL. Like Bennett and Bellamy before him, Robinson has had an influence over a handful of coaches who have made their mark in rugby league.

Paul Green (Queensland Maroons), Justin Holbrook (Titans), Adam O’Brien (Knights), Craig Fitzgibbon (Sharks) and Nathan Cayless (Tigers) have all spent time working under Robinson as an assistant.

Fitzgibbon says he will be indebted to Robinson for life.

“I’m not sitting here if it wasn’t for his support in tutelage and friendship,’’ Fitzgibbon said.

“The way that we discussed the process of leaving the Roosters for the Sharks, I’ll forever be thankful.

“We’ll be mates forever. I’m under no illusions to the fact that he was incredibly important for me to get through this process.’’

Former Warriors, St Helens and Eels coach Daniel Anderson first met Robinson when the Roosters coach was a tearaway teenager with flowing blond locks at St Gregory’s College Campbelltown, where Anderson began his own coaching pathway.

Anderson now manages the Roosters roster and insists his protege will leave a lasting impression on the NRL.

“In 20 years time there will be blokes going Robbo was the one who did this for me,’’ Anderson said.

“There will be heaps and heaps of them because his style, philosophy, personality resonates with those people.

“There is a mystique in coaching. So they want to come in and see how he coaches, can I copy him?’

Great article. Thanks for posting Rozza mun.
    Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Fantastic article and an interesting comment from Nick about Robbo making a great CEO and looks like he has earmarked him for the role once his coaching days are done.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post
        Fantastic article and an interesting comment from Nick about Robbo making a great CEO and looks like he has earmarked him for the role once his coaching days are done.
        Anyone who listens to Robbo can tell he’s a CEO.

Comment

Quite obviously highly talented and motivates through integrity of personality and the ability to back that up in the strategic department. Apart from Gibson I've never seen the like at the Tricolours and he's built on that - great on innovation, PR. Cool in controversial situations - a bit like a more sophisticated Gibson though Gibson was wise no doubt about it.

Still seems the game is a long way yet from the pro level of American or European administration - the endless search for the svengali manager that can enhance a culture and win. Our local search turns up pretty slim pickens by comparison. Apart from Robbo there's Bennett? (A genius but gettin' on), Bellamy (Bennett's former understudy who learned how to win). Pretty much daylight after them. Most have enormous knowledge and nous but can't assemble sufficiently well. This Justin Holbrook is one to watch, the speed with which he turned the Titans around was commendable.

Comment

A great read, interestingly it took 3 journos to compile the story unlike the recent story on Politis.

Comment

Has part two come out?

Comment

A day late but here is Part two

Over 18 holes at a golf course in Spain.Sea Eagles legend Steve Menzies chipped away at Trent Robinson just enough for the Catalans coach to realise that destiny was calling.It was 2012 & Menzies,in his second season under Robinson at the Super League club based in southern France,could sense his coach was torn.Robinson had been talking to Roosters chairman Nick Politis about taking over from Brian Smith in 2013.But to take the deal,Robinson,35 at the time, had to walk away from his contract, but more importantly his players, at Catalans."He still had a year to run on his contract at Catalans,so he was a bit hesitant to leave,"Menzies said."He had a three-year plan & he'd done two of those three & we were progressing.He didn't want to jump before the ship had docked.We used to play golf once a fortnight down in Spain,40 minutes away from Catalans.He thinks too much about footy.He's 24/7 footy.He chatted to me & we went through the pros & cons.It was a tough decision.I knew his history with the Roosters.& so I said to him,'if you could choose any club in the entire world, who would you choose?' He said the Roosters."I said to him,'well, you don't have a choice, you have to do it.The boys(players) will be disappointed, but they'll understand.' You can't deny someone where they want to be.& yeah, the boys were shattered because he was amazing."

Menzies spent the 2011-12 seasons at Catalans.Before that,Robinson had been an assistant to Brian Smith at Newcastle & the Sydney Roosters.His reputation was well & truly on the rise when he jetted out to France. "That was the most testing period of my career, that time at Newcastle,"Smith said."It was like a powder keg every day of the week.He was a really strong voice.There were a lot of heavy discussions & he was never afraid if he had an opinion that he thought we should be doing something, he was very strong in expressing his opinions."He has an ability to convince you of things that you might otherwise not have listened to just because of the strength of his arguments or the facts.He would lose his temper a few times if he didn't get his own way, but it was the strength of his commitment to what he thought was the way to go that sometimes tipped him over the edge."

On his first day at Catalans,Robinson called Menzies into a separate room of other "imports". "I know that we've all come here from Australia,New Zealand or England to play rugby league," Robinson told the small group."Yes,you are good players with strong league backgrounds, but these(French-born) boys are the heart & soul of the team.We're in their country,so from now on we will learn about their culture first.Every day, whenever you see someone from your team, you shake their hand & extend them the courtesy of a "bonjour" or 'ca va'."By the end of his two seasons under Robinson,Menzies would extend his daily greeting to a kiss on each cheek of his closest French mate in the team David Ferriol."I still do it now.Instead of just saying, 'Hi', I try to shake your hand," Menzies said.

Making A Supercoach
                Robinson found his feet at Catalans but the journey had begun well before that.His mother Lynne was a schoolteacher who worked long hours as a swim coach to make ends meet.Trent & brother Dean would often lend a hand.Their father Trevor was a dreamer who went his own way when Robinson was young."After school to pay the bills & get ahead,Mum would teach swimming until 5:30 at night," Dean Robinson said."Other times she would do odd jobs & be working until 10 at night.It was pretty much Trent & I growing up.It teaches you responsibility,knowing you have to look out for each other."You have each other's back.You have to entertain ourselves.That was what sport did for us we were outside always playing sport.Competitive? Oh yeah.How can you not be?"

Father Relationship
                Trent Robinson spoke about the complex relationship with his father on a podcast with Roosters director Mark Bouris."I remember thinking when I was 15 about just allowing him to do his own thing without wanting something from him," Robinson said."That was important because he wasn't in a place to give it.We had a good relationship until he passed away.He never found that place, he never got there.That taught me some lessons the answer is all of us.The answer is not external, it is internal.The answer is in how I walk my path.I have a choice about how my life looks.I have to guide it.”Trent Robinson was a talented athlete himself but injury curtailed his progress.There were three first-grade games with Wests Tigers & one with Parramatta,where he was coached by Smith.Along the way, he appeared to waste precious few minutes.”He worked for it,he planned for it his career path,” Smith said.”He is not one of those guys who shocks you.There are lots of guys over the years who have had a crack at it who I have never though about being coaches.”He was destined to be in that category of not being a real top player in the NRL,but the playing part was just a few important pieces in the jigsaw puzzle of what he was really going to turn out to be.”He knew what he wanted, he knew what he had to do to get the necessary experience, knowledge & contacts.That guy has more contacts in powerful places.Even at a young age.Not meaning it in a nasty way, he knew where his bread was buttered.He wanted to be with the best.”

Near-Death Experience
                Ex-first grader Justin Dooley doesn’t know what would have happened to him if roommate Trent Robinson wasn’t home one night in 1999.The pair were asleep in their Coogee apartment when Dooley was startled by a shadow in his bedroom.”I was half-asleep & noticed this strange figure coming into my room but I just thought it was Robbo,” Dooley said.”I realised quickly that it didn’t have Robbo’s body shape so I yelled out & this guy took off.I chased him & in the stairwell of our unit block, he stabbed me.”I got stabbed a couple of times in the hand & the chest & I broke my foot.Robbo had needed a knee reconstruction so he wasn’t the most mobile.He came out & helped me wrestle the knife off the bloke.”Long-term Rooster Simon Bonetti never feared for his safety when living with Robinson for three years in a nearby rented Coogee townhouse, but he did have concerns for the cleanliness of his housemate.Bonetti & Robinson were school friends at St.Gregory’s & lived together when they joined the Roosters in 1997.They played schoolboy football alongside future first-graders Russell Richardson, Peter Cusack & a young Trent Barrett,”He was very messy at school,”Bonetti said.”He was very talented at school-swimming,cricket.He was always the big kid.”As a room-mate he was a pretty ordinary chef & cleaner.The deal was that I’d cook & he’d clean, but after four days of dirty dishes being untouched,I would just do it.”

‘Spiritual’
                Along the way, he struck up a friendship with ex-Channel 9 boss David Gyngell,a former Roosters board member.Gyngell arranged for Robinson,who has a sport science degree, to work at Kerry Packer’s gym The Hyde Park Club.”He has a kind of a spiritual side(Robinson) & he is open for interpretations,”Gyngell said.”He doesn’t shut things out.He will listen to it & then go ‘how do I take that expertise & apply it to football?’ “Robbo is much deeper into meditation than a lot of coaches.The spiritual reality,finding yourself, spending quiet time with yourself,Robbo is big on all that.Nothing really flusters him too much.He stays at my place quite a lot.We talk on the phone.He is very interested in the tactics of business & those sorts of things.”The fact is the Roosters are better run than any organisation I ever ran that has a lot to do with Nick(Politis) & a lot to do with Robbo.”

Book Of Feuds
                Outside the walls of the TriColours there’s no denying there are clubs, fans & coaches within the game who argue their own clubs would enjoy the fruits of success with a billionaire chairman at the helm.Nick Politis & his coach are a fearsome combination.Robinson speaks fluent French & learnt sign language after his mother became profoundly deaf in his teens.His intelligence has been used as a brickbat to bash him over the head in private by his critics.”A lot of coaches hang on to their contracts & they anchor themselves & their identity to it,” Dean Robinson said.”With Trent,his identity has never been made up from his coaching.Coaching is what he does.He can divorce himself-he can go home & he is just himself.”At home they speak French,so for him it is a way to keep the culture from France here.It also helps his thought patterns-the way a different language activates a different part of your brain.”He thinks quite differently about things.He goes out & does the best job he can & if I am wanted,I am wanted.If not,I am not.”

That assuredness hasn’t always won him fans.His willingness to question, shoot down or slam his rival, match officials or the NRL has come at a price, both in fines from the NRL but also from others, who suggests there’s a cockiness to Robinson’s confidence.Matty Johns called Robinson’s spray of referee Ben Cummins in 2016 which led to the Roosters coach being fined $40,000-a “power play”. ”This is exerting pressure on (former NRL boss) Todd Greenberg & Tony Archer,the referee’s boss,about not getting Ben Cummins in the future on Roosters games,”Johns said.Most famously,Robinson has gone toe-to-toe with former Dragons coach Paul McGregor after an Anzac Day clash & Wayne Bennett only last year after Latrell Mitchell’s high shot on Roosters gun Joey Manu.Robinson’s relationship with Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is non-existent.Success comes at a price & for Robinson,that has been some relationships along his journey.Just don’t think for a second he’s about to change.

Building His Own Book Of Feuds As He Fights On Behalf Of His Players & Club

Sticky Situation
                Whether it's publicly venting their differing philosophies on roster management or their opposing views on the one-on-one strip,Robinson & Ricky Stuart have rarely seen eye-to-eye.Never was this more evident than in the lead-up to the Roosters 2019 premiership win, where neither could offer a handshake at the grand final press conference.Of the Raiders ability to steal the ball in one-on-one contests,Robinson said:"Has that added to the spectacle of our game?"

Bloody Mary
                Stuart isn't the only coach Robinson has clashed with.The Anzac Day blockbuster between St George Illawarra & the Roosters has always been a competitive affair,& that extends to the coach's box.A year after accusing then-Dragons centre Euan Aitken of feigning injury to draw a penalty,Robinson confronted Paul McGregor about the growing trend in the corresponding fixture the following year.It prompted this response from McGregor days later:It was a sign of a frustrated man to be honest, after the game.

'Thug' Wars
                Buried beneath the heavy fallout of Latrell Mitchell's brutal shot on Joseph Manu was an accusation that Robinson labelled South Sydney firebrand Jayden Su'A a "thug" at halftime of the same game.The Rabbitohs didn't lodge a complaint with the NRL,but CEO Blake Solly supported his second-rower by describing him as "a young man of great integrity & character,who plays the game in the right spirit". Robinson dismissed the incident as "completely untrue"

Wayne's World
                Robinson was staring at battles on a couple of fronts in the aftermath of the Mitchell shot, especially when he offered some advice for his fiery former star to get the ill-discipline out of his game.But that drew a sharp response from master coach Wayne Bennett,who effectively told Robinson to look in the mirror."Well,Trent's got a couple of those players himself that he coaches, so I don't know what he's looking over the fence at us for."

Nuclear On The Bunker
                In Robinson’s defence, there aren’t many coaches who haven’t entered a post-game press conference all guns blazing at the match officials.However one epic rant in 2021 goes into the all-time list of attacks on whistleblowers,& it came after a mindless challenge on playmaker Drew Hutchison that left him with broken ribs & a punctured lung.”It’s incompetent.To not see that, the guy goes to hospital & then 20 minutes later you put him on report.It’s ridiculous,” Robinson said.

Ben Cummins
                There was one particular referee in Robinson’s crosshairs, with one spray in 2016 considered a ploy to force the NRL to get Ben Cummins as far away as possible from officiating Roosters games.The attack drew a $40k fine.”Ben has been horrible & disrespectful to our players for many years & it has continued,”Robinson said.”He speaks poorly to our players.He won’t look them in the eye.”

Comment

Working...
                X