Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz reality check

Monday Buzz: Sydney Roosters’ appalling record against top sides exposed

The Sydney Roosters can no longer compete against the best teams in the NRL — and there is a long list of reasons why, via PHIL ROTHFIELD.

1Phil Rothfield 1

March 27, 2022 - 5:52PM

The one thing billionaire chairman Nick Politis and his Sydney Roosters can’t buy is leadership.

And this is why the Roosters can no longer compete with the good sides Penrith, the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Melbourne Storm.

You look at their abysmal record against these three sides since the beginning of 2020 in the post-Cooper Cronk era.

The Roosters have played the Rabbitohs, Panthers and Storm 13 times and won only one of those games.

Their diabolical for-and-against in these matches is 173-404 and they have conceded 31 points per game.

The Roosters were well beaten by Souths. Picture: NRL Images

They have been beaten 60-8 and 54-12 by the Rabbitohs during this period.

It takes years and hundreds of games of football to build leadership.

Since the 2019 premiership victory, the club has lost Cronk (372 games), Jake Friend (264), Boyd Cordner (181), Brett Morris (276), Josh Morris (325) and best clubman of them all – Mitch Aubusson (306).

That’s 1724 games between them.

You can bring in young guns like Sam Walker and Joseph Suaalii and they’ll show flashes of brilliance but it takes time.

They will have their great moments but you don’t become hardened week-in, week-out consistent footballers overnight.

At the beginning of the year we all tipped the Sydney Roosters to make the top four and possibly win their fourth premiership under Trent Robinson.

Disappointing losses to the Newcastle Knights and the Rabbitohs on Friday night would suggest it’s time to reassess.

The Roosters won’t be winning anything on what we’ve seen.

A poor performance on Friday night at Accor Stadium has highlighted many other issues with this football side.

Roosters’ horror record against top teams.
    • Age is catching up with front-row enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, once the most feared middle forward in the competition.
    • Likewise, Sio Siua Taukeiaho, his front-row partner.
    • Victor Radley has lost his aggression, obviously holding himself back and afraid of making a wayward tackle and risk another lengthy suspension.
    • Angus Crichton is playing nowhere near the quality of football he produced for the NSW Blues in State of Origin last year.
    • They don’t have a hooker without Sam Verrills.
    • James Tedesco had one of the worst games of his career, rushing plays and making more errors than any other player on the field. It was like he was trying over-impress against Latrell Mitchell.
    • Opponents are taking advantage of Sam Walker’s size and brittle defence. He has missed 19 tackles in three games. Sitili Tupouniua is also a weakness in defence on the same edge.

Obviously you don’t win premierships in March and there is enough time for Robinson to turn it around and get his side performing.

They have a reasonable draw against the Cowboys, Broncos, Warriors, Dragons, Bulldogs and Titans in the next six weeks.

Yet on their current form, you wouldn’t be backing them with any confidence

Pretty much agree with everything he has pointed out there, besides the SST and Teddy part, that stuff is rubbish.

Can't really argue with any other of those dot points though, they are all true whether we like to admit it or not

Comment

Buzz is right ,

Comment

Buzz has been pretty close with management recently so this reeks to me of robbo and nick planting a seed for the players to respond to

will they?

Comment

buzz is pretty much spot on , i hate to say .

he has been a very vocal advocate of ours the last few years , so i dont think it is a bias against the roosters .

Comment

Relatively correct article it may be, this is the same person who only recently predicted we would win both the premiership and minor premiership in 2022. The same person who talked about giving time for combinations yet is drawing a line through us in round 3. Wonderful how the allure of clicks can change a mans opinion in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster36 View Post
              Buzz has been pretty close with management recently so this reeks to me of robbo and nick planting a seed for the players to respond to

will they?
              This. (I hope)

Comment

Yes Buzz, we know all that...we can see it clearly. We're not stoopid.
                If I remember correctly, Mr Buzzman (he is my junior so I can call him that), you wrote an article not so long ago about how we are disadvantaged by the seemingly continually biased refereeing of our matches.
                Anyone who had the Roosters ahead of last year's grand finalists and Storm to win the comp in 2022 was kinda misguided in their thinking.
                So, Buzzy, if you have and constructive suggestions as to what we might do to improve our team and win games, please feel free to write them in your column, post them in this forum, or put a note under coach Robinson's office door at Roosters HQ.

Comment

Sam Walker's missed tackles...not acceptable.
                  Expected, but not now acceptable.
                  Keary can't run, still injured? Can't
                  afford to play injured players.
                  If so he must be rested...replaced by Keighran, Walker replaced by Hutch.
                  Last edited by bondi.boy; 03-28-2022, 09:47 PM.

Comment

It’s click bait. Everyone loves to hate us, the leaders he’s calling out have left in the past two years a time we earned this shocking record against the top teams.

SST was our best against Manly with over 200mtrs and suddenly past it. Teddy is and remains the games best all round 1. Angus is underdone, Rads doesn’t want to let the team down but is still showing mongrel. JWH needs a rolling start but as the year gets going he’ll dominate.

I suspect COVID and injuries has really set us back in terms of preseason prep. We had bugger all trials and not only are struggling because our combinations are still forming but it’s compounded by a lack of fitness.

The presser post game where Teddy cut in as Robbo was trying to explain how you tell Teddy not to make errors, and Teddy owns it, and had disdain for how disappointed he was… that is leadership on display. I’m backing Teddy will rally the troops and he’ll have a blinder against Cows. We’ll have a good crack this year lads. Fear not!

Comment

I've got no problem with what Buzz wrote as I've thought all of it myself. I find myself getting sick of hearing from the team that "we're going to play Roosters footy." Does "Roosters footy" mean dropped balls, poor completions, lots of errors, impatient AND slow play (at the same time)? The thing I noticed last Friday is giving up on plays such as when the vermin winger scored and was allowed to improve his position.
                      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

BigCok007 I saw Teddy's behaviour in the presser different to yours. He looked uninterested to me and I got the distinct impression he didn't want to be in the presser. Glad you saw it differently so I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
                        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
                          Yes Buzz, we know all that...we can see it clearly. We're not stoopid.
                          If I remember correctly, Mr Buzzman (he is my junior so I can call him that), you wrote an article not so long ago about how we are disadvantaged by the seemingly continually biased refereeing of our matches.
                          Anyone who had the Roosters ahead of last year's grand finalists and Storm to win the comp in 2022 was kinda misguided in their thinking.
                          So, Buzzy, if you have and constructive suggestions as to what we might do to improve our team and win games, please feel free to write them in your column, post them in this forum, or put a note under coach Robinson's office door at Roosters HQ.
                          You don't get it. It is an opinion piece by Buzz. He is not trying to tell anyone to suck eggs. and frankly, he is right to point it out. In my humble opinion as an addendum to that is we should switch Walke and Keary in the haves to give the team better leadership and keep Teddy at fullback .

Comment

I think Buzz loves us, he has written mostly positives things about us the last few years.

Originally posted by BigCok007 View Post
                            It’s click bait. Everyone loves to hate us, t
                            Everyone hates winners, everyone use to hate Manly and Brisbane as they always were at the top but now people like them as they haven't really preformed for a few years.
                            Currently everyone hates Melbourne and Easts as we have been the benchmark for years, both teams will drop away eventually and everyone won't hate because of this,
                            If Panthers stay as strong as they are for 5+ years they will get hated.
                            It's just the way it is, everyone hates winners.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                              BigCok007 I saw Teddy's behaviour in the presser different to yours. He looked uninterested to me and I got the distinct impression he didn't want to be in the presser. Glad you saw it differently so I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
                              He hasn’t wanted to be in the presser after any match, not the right media man at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X