X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Year Celebration - 2002 GF Rematch SYDNEY ROOSTERS v NZ WARRIORS

24 MAN SQUAD v WARRIORS
    Sydney Cricket Ground, Sunday 17 April

Twenty years ago, on 6 October 2002, our Mighty Roosters, led by Freddy Fittler, defeated the Warriors in a hard fought Grand Final to bring home the shield for the first time in 27 years. Freddy was enormous that day, as was Fitzy (who won the Clive Churchill medal) and Moz (Adrian Morley) was also a standout. I'm not ashamed to say that I had a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat that day, as I had been waiting (read suffering through) each of those intervening years, and believe me, some of those seasons were horrendous.

We were pretty banged up by the time we won through to the big dance, with a very physical brand of football under coach Ricky Stuart taking it's toll towards the end, but we hung in there and, ultimately, created Roosters history. Luke Phillips epitomized our toughness that day, as he usually did - tackling hard and running harder on every kick return, despite a VERY busted shoulder.

We celebrate that sweet GF victory this week with a revisit to the SCG against our foe that day, the New Zealand Warriors.

We'll be donning our "winning white" strip that we wore that day - legend has it the strip was adopted after a mistake by the support team that accidently took the white "home" shorts to an away game late in the season (I don't remember which), which we subsequently won handsomely. We then stuck with that strip through the finals for good luck, and it worked a treat. I understand the Warriors are aslo wearing a 2002 replica strip for the game, so that will add to the spectacle for those of us who lived that game at the time. I believe our entire 2002 GF team will be present, including Moz who is flying out from England for the occasion - it will be huge.

I encourage any of you that have not seen that game to give it a watch ... it was a magnificent occasion. There's a highlights package currently on the Home page of the Roosters website:
    https://www.roosters.com.au/news/202...al-highlights/

Changes from last week include Verrills return to the starting 9 with Watson in 14. Suaalii remains on the extended bench.

I'm expecting a big performance from our boys this week in front of our 2002 legends.

GO EASTS !!

ROOSTERS:
    1. Teddy
    2. Tupou
    3. Momirovski
    4. Manu
    5. Naiqama
    6. Walker
    7. Keary
    8. JWH
    9. Verrills
    10. Collins
    11. Butcher
    12. Tupouniua
    13. Radley

INTERCHANGE:
    14. Watson
    15. Baker
    16. Crichton
    17. SST

RESERVES:
    18. Lam
    19. Whyte
    20. Keighran
    21. Atoni
    22. DSF
    23. Suaalii
    24. Hutchison

NZ WARRIORS:
    1. Walsh
    2. Watene-Zelezniak
    3. Arthars
    4. Pompey
    5. Kosi
    6. Harris-Tavita
    7. Johnson
    8. Fonua-Blake
    9. Egan
    10. Lodge
    11. Aitken
    12. Sironen
    13. Curran

INTERCHANGE:
    14. Nikorima
    15. Afoa
    16. Pene
    17. Katoa

RESERVES:
    18. Otukolo
    20. Vailea
    21. Petterson-Robati
    22. Berry
    23. Kepu, O
    24. Ratuva
    25. Kepu, V

Match Officials:
    Referee: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
    Touch Judge: Dave Munro
    Touch Judge: Casey Badger
    Senior Review Official: Alan Shortall
    Last edited by Waylander; 04-12-2022, 09:02 PM.

When will Suaalli get a run? Surely very very soon? As for DSF, think he was very unlucky to get dropped as well, much preferred what he brought to our side than what Baker has. Glad to see Verrills back.

Comment

Is it too much to ask to spell the players names correctly? I read them each week hoping you’ll get them right.

In a positive, you got the referees name spot on. Well done!

Comment

FMD Robbo, Naiqama....really. Happy to give Momo another shot but this guy is passed it, fragile and easy meat for the defence as he falls into the defenders. Big Joe is named at 23 lets hope he's promoted.

Comment

that 2002 victory was pretty special. we hadn't won for so long and there was the fear that we'd never win another one.

yeah, i'm hoping suaalii makes his way into the starting 13 on game day. he's our future and he's had a couple of games under his belt. he'll learn more playing first grade.

Comment

Originally posted by A Country Member View Post
            Is it too much to ask to spell the players names correctly? I read them each week hoping you’ll get them right.

Corrected. Thanks for pointing it out so graciously.

Comment

Time to pull the old western union from the mothballs.

Comment

Mate we don’t judge people on spelling or punctuation in here.

Comment

The Tuesday team means very little.

Comment

Mate do yourself a favour and never read a post which says Brains player ratings.

Comment

Hutch goes to No 24 now.
                      Lammy 18th man.
                      Im surprised DSF isnt in the 17, I cant work it out because when I watch him I reckon he plays with aggression, he runs hard maybe the coaches aren't happy with his defence. I like Baker but I think DSF is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                        The Tuesday team means very little.
                        If that 17 named is fit then I cant see any changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

If that 17 named is fit then I cant see any changes.
                          Question mark over Butch and the one wing spot.

Comment

Question mark over Butch and the one wing spot.
                            Is Butcher maybe injured.
                            I dont think Suaalii will get in this week end because we are coming off a win.

Comment

Mate we don’t judge people on spelling or punctuation in here.
                              Dam Thirteen you must have missed some threads .I and others regularly get crucified for our spelling and grammar

Comment

Working...
                              X