20 Year Celebration - 2002 GF Rematch SYDNEY ROOSTERS v NZ WARRIORS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waylander View Post
    Montoya banned for 4 weeks for his homophobic slur. Watene-Zelezniak comes onto the wing in 2, with Kosi swapping to 5. V Kepu added to the extended bench in jumper 23.
    im sorry, i think 4 weeks for that is crazy. feldt was been a cat, montoya chose his words poorly, but 4 weeks is utterly over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by morley101 View Post

He was mentioned with Egan Butcher in the injury report but not Billy Smith.
      Egan Butcher is listed as tentatively returning round 10

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post
        24 MAN SQUAD v WARRIORS
        Sydney Cricket Ground, Sunday 17 April

Twenty years ago, on 6 October 2002, our Mighty Roosters, led by Freddy Fittler, defeated the Warriors in a hard fought Grand Final to bring home the shield for the first time in 27 years. Freddy was enormous that day, as was Fitzy (who won the Clive Churchill medal) and Moz (Adrian Morley) was also a standout. I'm not ashamed to say that I had a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat that day, as I had been waiting (read suffering through) each of those intervening years, and believe me, some of those seasons were horrendous.

We were pretty banged up by the time we won through to the big dance, with a very physical brand of football under coach Ricky Stuart taking it's toll towards the end, but we hung in there and, ultimately, created Roosters history. Luke Phillips epitomized our toughness that day, as he usually did - tackling hard and running harder on every kick return, despite a VERY busted shoulder.

We celebrate that sweet GF victory this week with a revisit to the SCG against our foe that day, the New Zealand Warriors.

We'll be donning our "winning white" strip that we wore that day - legend has it the strip was adopted after a mistake by the support team that accidently took the white "home" shorts to an away game late in the season (I don't remember which), which we subsequently won handsomely. We then stuck with that strip through the finals for good luck, and it worked a treat. I understand the Warriors are aslo wearing a 2002 replica strip for the game, so that will add to the spectacle for those of us who lived that game at the time. I believe our entire 2002 GF team will be present, including Moz who is flying out from England for the occasion - it will be huge.

I encourage any of you that have not seen that game to give it a watch ... it was a magnificent occasion. There's a highlights package currently on the Home page of the Roosters website:
        https://www.roosters.com.au/news/202...al-highlights/

Changes from last week include Verrills return to the starting 9 with Watson in 14. Suaalii remains on the extended bench.

I'm expecting a big performance from our boys this week in front of our 2002 legends.

GO EASTS !!

ROOSTERS:
        1. Teddy
        2. Tupou
        3. Momirovski
        4. Manu
        5. Naiqama
        6. Walker
        7. Keary
        8. JWH
        9. Verrills
        10. Collins
        11. Butcher
        12. Tupouniua
        13. Radley

INTERCHANGE:
        14. Watson
        15. Baker
        16. Crichton
        17. SST

RESERVES:
        18. Lam
        19. Whyte
        20. Keighran
        21. Atoni
        22. DSF
        23. Suaalii
        24. Hutchison

NZ WARRIORS:
        1. Walsh
        2. Watene-Zelezniak
        3. Arthars
        4. Pompey
        5. Kosi
        6. Harris-Tavita
        7. Johnson
        8. Fonua-Blake
        9. Egan
        10. Lodge
        11. Aitken
        12. Sironen
        13. Curran

INTERCHANGE:
        14. Nikorima
        15. Afoa
        16. Pene
        17. Katoa

RESERVES:
        18. Otukolo
        20. Vailea
        21. Petterson-Robati
        22. Berry
        23. Kepu, O
        24. Ratuva
        25. Kepu, V

Match Officials:
        Referee: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
        Touch Judge: Dave Munro
        Touch Judge: Casey Badger
        Senior Review Official: Alan Shortall
        Great thread. Great memories.

The "Winning White" game in question was, I believe, an away day vs Brisbane. We ambushed them with what was the start of our gang tackling unbeaten run to the title.

What's more amazing about that game is that it came on the back of a 3 or 4 game losing streak where it looked as though our season was going to end in a similarly tame fashion to 2001.

Instead we came out as a totally different team to smash Brisbane. The forwards were amazing that day. As was Freddy and Hodgo who must have enjoyed that win especially.

Comment

1. Is Nat Butcher cleared to play ? I thought the HIA protocol that he failed would mean that his concussion management would require extra caution even if it is more than a 7 day turnaround. I think he will miss the game on Sunday subject to a medical clearance. Seeing as the club is always paramount about concussion management and welfare, I believe Nat Butcher will be removed from the side before kick off and possibly Angus to start with Naufahu Whyte named on the bench or the other way around. Whyte has been named at #19.

2. Still no update or word about Billy Smith's injury. I believe this is Robbo and the club's way of protecting him from media scrutiny and people talking about him (his long rapsheet of injuries) which is a smart move if this is the case.

3. Joseph Suaalii will play any week now and don't be surprised if he gets named to start on the right wing an hour before kick off. It may or may not happen this week but once again, this will be Robbo's way of protecting him from the media spotlight, pressure of having a huge build up and hype on him and to allow him to enter without any fanfare or warning.

4. (Unrelated) NRL Facebook page is saying Blake Ferguson has signed a one year deal with us (no official word as yet).
          Last edited by DP1990; 04-13-2022, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Lam and DSF are the only players not selected in the Bears NSW Cup side which may mean they will stay in the squad when it's reduced to 19 players 24 hours before kick-off.

Roosters will have to name their 19 players by 2:00 pm Saturday - Norths play at 4:00 pm on Saturday and need to finalise their 17 plus 18th player by 3:00 pm

Of the Bears 4 matches so far(they had a bye in round 2) one was played as a curtain raiser to the NRL game and the 3 others the next day so these extended squad players could then play NSW Cup if they didn't play NRL.

Would 2 reserves be enough as cover for any withdrawals due to Covid for Sunday's game to enable releasing the other 5 player to play NSW Cup on Saturday ? - Not sure - be interesting to see the Bears team that runs out on Saturday to see if any other players not named in the 19 have been held back in case.

Can't see players being released to play NSW being able to back up for NRL the next day though.

RESERVES:

18. Lam
            19. Whyte
            20. Keighran

21. Atoni
            22. DSF
            23. Suaalii
            24. Hutchison
            Thanks very much King.

Comment

Close to the best night of my life. After a 27 year wait, finally. I thought I could now die a happy man that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Mate we don’t judge people on spelling or punctuation in here.
                Not wrong...lol..I'm the king
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post

im sorry, i think 4 weeks for that is crazy. feldt was been a cat, montoya chose his words poorly, but 4 weeks is utterly over the top.
                  I think it's a good line to draw, don't wanna be suspended? Don't throw slurs around. Having seen the hurt that word has caused friends I wouldnt have objected to it being longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

I think it's a good line to draw, don't wanna be suspended? Don't throw slurs around. Having seen the hurt that word has caused friends I wouldnt have objected to it being longer.
                    No, sorry but anyway you look at it it's way over the top.
                    Players lying down is a big issue in the game that causes a lot of frustration. Montoya admitted he used the wrong word and a week would of sufficed.
                    Words are just that.
                    It seems to me that too many people today are too easily outraged.
                    The pendulum swings too far the opposite way.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post

I wouldn’t have been one of those posters would I? Sorry
                      All good

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                        Great thread. Great memories.

The "Winning White" game in question was, I believe, an away day vs Brisbane. We ambushed them with what was the start of our gang tackling unbeaten run to the title.

What's more amazing about that game is that it came on the back of a 3 or 4 game losing streak where it looked as though our season was going to end in a similarly tame fashion to 2001.

Instead we came out as a totally different team to smash Brisbane. The forwards were amazing that day. As was Freddy and Hodgo who must have enjoyed that win especially.
                        Ah, thanks for that Tommy, which game it was had completely escaped me, but I think you're right.

Such great memories of that run up to, and through the finals. Good times.

Comment

So a fractured eye socket is only worth 2 more weeks suspension than being called a name that in all likelihood didn't have any impact on Feldt. Yep....that makes sense!

Comment

Works for us, destabilises their side, thus one week would have been suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

No, sorry but anyway you look at it it's way over the top.
                              Players lying down is a big issue in the game that causes a lot of frustration. Montoya admitted he used the wrong word and a week would of sufficed.
                              Words are just that.
                              It seems to me that too many people today are too easily outraged.
                              The pendulum swings too far the opposite way.
                              Agree Ed.

It's a slippery slope suspending players for on field comments in the heat of battle.

​"Your wife's a slut" or "your Mums a whore" or similar have been used before....wonder if such awful comments will attract a sanction in future? Doubt it as there's no "ism" or "obic" to tack on at the end.

Comment

I have no problem with what Montoya said, I call blokes I work with that & Ive been called that.
                                I would never say it to a gay person out of respect but it gets used all the time by straight males calling another straight male a fag, homo, soft cock. its just banter.

Comment

Working...
                                X