Official Match Day Thread: Roosters v Warriors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
    Time for Robbo to swallow his pride and put Keary where he has been excellent the last few seasons. On the left.
    I agree with this, will bring the beast that is toops into the game on the touch line more.

Give Sitili more opportunity coming back in field with a broken defensive line and same with Teddy.

I found when keary went short side, teddy would often lurk around the line for that broken field play and run rampant around a staggered line.

I also think that, that is the most dangerous version of teddy.

No more ball playing, more running/ support playing.

Comment

• A work in progress...

Clunky and too much sideways attack. Teddy trying to over compensate for tentative keary maybe. Also too reliant on Walker. It takes most players many months coming back from an ACL, thus Keary should have a better 2nd half of season. Also maybe swapping the halves around as Keary was dynamic in attack on the left.

Defence has moments of positivity mixed with a high amount of sloppiness. Defence is all about attitude, like in previous rounds, we are leaking easy points. Missing Fitzy here.

What is it about milestone games, that we produce sub-par performances. Doesn't matter if it's a players 100/150/200 games or today's 20th anniversary game, for some reason we produce a very average team performance.

On a positive... we won.
      Go Easts

Comment

• Good win but we struggled to beat these nevs then when we play the top sides we are in trouble .

Comment

You have said Watson ahead of Verrills. This would mean Verrills out of the team or benched. You are being critical of Sam’s performance quite clearly and you are suggesting he be dropped. Don’t try sugar coat it. Fair enough I respect your opinion but I’d rather you say Watson over Verrills only once Verrills has played a few games and gotten match fit.

"Based on what I saw today I much preferred Watson as 9 to Verrills. Obviously it’s his first game so I’m not calling for a switch right now, but he just doesn’t keep the defence on their toes like Watson does or like he himself used to"

I literally say I'm not calling for a switch, and acknowledge its his first game. I simply said that Watson through the first rounds looked way more threatening than Verrills did this game, and that he needs to pick up his previous runs out of dummy half. If u even want to pick on semantics, I used the term preferred as opposed to prefer. I didn't even say Sam had a bad game!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MCMLXVI View Post

You are correct, I'm sorry. He was very partial though. He was death-riding us for the entire second half.
            All good. I didn’t notice too much difference in the second half although he he did death ride us over the Crichton captains challenge.

Comment

• Originally posted by FREEMAN89 View Post

I agree with this, will bring the beast that is toops into the game on the touch line more.

Give Sitili more opportunity coming back in field with a broken defensive line and same with Teddy.

I found when keary went short side, teddy would often lurk around the line for that broken field play and run rampant around a staggered line.

I also think that, that is the most dangerous version of teddy.

No more ball playing, more running/ support playing.
              Keary played both sides in the 2019 premiership and I think that's the standard expected of him. However, he's coming back from an ACL while building a partnership with Walker.

Bloke in a Bar's analysis of the situation (based on last week) is that another factor is Teddy. He suspects that Robbo's told him to step back a bit so that Walker/Keary can do more of their traditional 'halves' duties that Teddy had to take on during 2021. I agree that this may well be the case, hence why we're seeing a hell of a lot of clunkiness from players who are clearly top notch...

Not sure why it always takes so long for our combos to build and gel (e.g. Bellamy never says 'yep Pap, Grant, Hughes and Munster need time to learn how to gel with each other'). Guess that's just life. Easts wouldn't be Easts without all the related drama.
              Last edited by ism22; 04-17-2022, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post
                Good win but we struggled to beat these nevs then when we play the top sides we are in trouble .
                idont think the warriors are nevs this year, on todays performance theyll beat plenty of teams .

Comment

• Originally posted by Noosa Rooster View Post

All good. I didn’t notice too much difference in the second half although he he did death ride us over the Crichton captains challenge.
                  IMO everybody loves it when an underdog wins the race. It p!ssed off the commentators hard how it was decided that Crichton (whose hand was backwards) didn't strip the ball from the Warriors... then later on it was pretty bloody clear that the Warriors kicked the ball during what the ref called a Crichton 'knock-on'.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattyh View Post

idont think the warriors are nevs this year, on todays performance theyll beat plenty of teams .
                    Walsh and Curran were solid competitors for the whole 80 minutes. That first try where Walsh put the footwork on us and then did that kick was amazing stuff. Hate to compliment our opposition (I find it really hard) but those two were giving it to us the whole time.

Why'd we release Curran again? He was a bit of a cat (him and Watene-Zzz kept trying to milk penalties the whole time). However, he's a solid competitor! Definitely stood out as a leader on the field.
                    Last edited by ism22; 04-17-2022, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattyh View Post

Agree, we aren't great at the moment but the Warriors threw some footy at us and they will trouble plenty of teams. Good on them, I enjoy seeing the Warriors competitive..

Someone else on here said its good to win ugly and I agree. We are not great at the moment but we don't need to be..

Comment

Time for Robbo to swallow his pride and put Keary where he has been excellent the last few seasons. On the left.
                        His pride?

I think Robinson knows what he’s doing…

Comment

• Originally posted by Noosa Rooster View Post
                          You have to be able to win ugly and that’s what we’re doing atm. Happy to take the 2 points any way we can.

We can only play as good as the opposition lets us. The last 2 games both Broncos and Warriors have turned up to play, as will most teams when they play us. We have been the benchmark for quite a few years so they all lift a cog when playing us.

I’d be much happier to be winning pretty in September.
                          The attack will come with time, I think we have looked a lot better in contact both backs and fowards since the early rounds and our defence looks less suspect. Still a lot of new combos and I reckon that’s why we’re starting slow and finishing stronger as they’re literally learning to play together on the run, nothing like match day practice.

I would be concerned if our attack is still as clunky come round 10 but this is always the way Robinson builds into a season with a relatively new set of players. No time to panic now, 3 wins in a row it’s a good habit to get into.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

His pride?

I think Robinson knows what he’s doing…
                            Robbo came out and said whole heartedly at the beginning of last year that Keary is a halfback and had earned the right to run the team. Yes if he would move him back to the left side he’d have to swallow his pride.

Who said Robbo doesn’t know what he’s doing? Aren’t we allowed to stress an option on here?

Comment

Robbo came out and said whole heartedly at the beginning of last year that Keary is a halfback and had earned the right to run the team. Yes if he would move him back to the left side he’d have to swallow his pride.

Who said Robbo doesn’t know what he’s doing? Aren’t we allowed to stress an option on here?
                              The insinuation that he’s doing it out of pride suggests he’s not make an educated or informed decision which brings into question his competence. This isn’t a pride thing for Robinson, he’s doing what he believes is best for the team based on the information he has. I’ve just watched the Fox coverage and he speaks on it pre-game saying that Keary’s running game will come after he learns how to control the side but that may still be weeks away, it’s not like he’s completely ignorant to our attacking deficiencies at the moment.

Of course you can have an opinion, just like I’m having an opinion on your opinion. No one’s telling you that you can’t, just expect your opinion to be criticised especially when you’re so boldly suggesting Robinson is selecting the side on pride and that he needs to “swallow it”.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

The insinuation that he’s doing it out of pride suggests he’s not make an educated or informed decision which brings into question his competence. This isn’t a pride thing for Robinson, he’s doing what he believes is best for the team based on the information he has. I’ve just watched the Fox coverage and he speaks on it pre-game saying that Keary’s running game will come after he learns how to control the side but that may still be weeks away, it’s not like he’s completely ignorant to our attacking deficiencies at the moment.

Of course you can have an opinion, just like I’m having an opinion on your opinion. No one’s telling you that you can’t, just expect your opinion to be criticised especially when you’re so boldly suggesting Robinson is selecting the side on pride and that he needs to “swallow it”.
                                Keary was always so damaging on the left. In his six games on the right so far this year I don’t recall a try assist that wasn’t from a kick. While Walker has been going great on the right, I think unlike Keary, he could play either side well.

I can’t see the change happening though, especially after Robbo commented so publicly that Keary was a seven now. He’d look a bit silly by moving Keary back to six. I have no doubt if he thought it was best for the team he’d do it.

It’s just my opinion as a fan that Keary should be playing on the side where he won 3 premierships and where he seems to play his best footy.

Comment

Working...
                                X