No announcement yet.

Pack Shift Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think our 2 back rowers are our real weakness. There are goods moments from both but neither performs consistently.

We have replaced Cords and Aubo with Angus and Sitilli. That’s a huge downgrade.

Souths second rowers last season were a big part of why they had such a good season. They had 2 great and aggressive guys in Sua and Koolamatungie (or whatever the hell you call him).

Comment

Originally posted by HunchoRooster View Post
      I would love to see Terrell May, Whyte or DSF get a crack at first grade. I would forgive young hungry intensity with a few errors drizzled in over a total lack of intensity and pedestrian footy that the current crop are producing.
      What was most damning for me was Robbo using the flu as a reason for JWH and Radley playing poorly on ANZAC Day and getting reduced mins. So in essence he'd rather play undone first graders than give the young blokes a crack. He must have concerns.
      We need to invest more game time in DSF but at the expense of who? Yes the regulars are playing like busteds but how long can we put up with it for? I would have him in for Collins.
      FVCK CANCER

Comment

I think moving forward our best rotation fully heathy is:

Collins
        Verrills
        JWH
        N. Butch
        Crichton
        Rads

Watson
        TKO
        E.Butch
        DSF

Sitili
        Baker

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
          I think our 2 back rowers are our real weakness. There are goods moments from both but neither performs consistently.

We have replaced Cords and Aubo with Angus and Sitilli. That’s a huge downgrade.

Souths second rowers last season were a big part of why they had such a good season. They had 2 great and aggressive guys in Sua and Koolamatungie (or whatever the hell you call him).
          This is the biggest difference that doesn't get talked about enough.
          Cords and Aubbo were rocks in defence and experienced communicators, who also did the hard yards coming out of our own end.

Gus and Sitilli seem more concerned about their hair and only getting the ball 10m from the tryline. (where they proceed to drop it 8 times out of 10)

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Literally the game before us the winning side had sub 60% completion rates and won. Seems you can..
            Stats in that game which i assume you are alluding to were- it was a golden point game though

The Raiders did not turn their field position and possession dominance into sufficient points especially in the first half as one would say you would be hoping for more than a 20-12 half time lead with 66% possession and 66% field position and 19 tackles in the opposition 20

First half for instance the Warriors scored 2 tries despite only having only 2 tackles in the Raiders 20/- 39% possession and 34% field position - Raiders 3 tries with 19 tackles in the Warriors 20 - 61% possession and 66% field position.

Raiders are struggling with their attack as well and they didn't score a further point in the game after the 36th minute

If better or inform teams had the Raiders possession and field position stats in the first half those teams would lead by more than 20-12 at half time.

Yes Warriors won with 59% completions but you also need to delve into other stats and how the opposition played as well.

Fact is that you can't score without the ball and your not able then to control the game and field position i.e where and how you give the opposition the ball.

1st Half

Warriors 59% (10/17 ) 39% possession and 8 errors- 34% field position- 2 tackles in opposition 20

Raiders 86% (18/21) - 61% possession and 3 errors- 66% field position - 19 tackles in opposition 20

2nd Half

Warriors 56% ( 14/25) 54% possession and 10 errors- 51% field position - 9 tackles in opposition 20

Raiders 56% ( 9/17) 46% possession and 9 errors - 49% field position - 18 tackles in opposition 20

Match

Warriors 59 % ( 25/43) 48% possession and 18 errors -44% field position - 13 tackles in opposition 20

Raiders 70% ( 27/38) 52% possession and 13 errors - 56% field position - 37 tackles in opposition 20

Last edited by King Salvo; 05-01-2022, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Which game was that though an NRL one?
              Yes Warriors Vs Raiders.

Maybe an asterix on NRL but yes they are NRL teams.

Fundamentally I disagree with you on errors, I see them as an outcome where you see them as a cause so I know we will never agree but it's just factually not true that you can't win a game with poor completion rates.

Comment

Warriors vs Raiders. Was a bludger of a game for a majority of it.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Which game was that though an NRL one?
                  He told you - the game that immediately preceded ours, i.e. Warriors v Raiders. Warriors won with a 59% completion rate, Raiders were 70%.

Comment

For me, it's not so much a long term pack change as opposed to short term. Yes we have some good up and comers but realistically are they ready yet for he rigours of First Grade. On top of that, when it comes to the big games, we're going to field our best team, regardless of form, meaning JWH, Collins, Tauks and Tupu are all going to be there. I propose however that Robinson drops the majority of these guys for a game or two, give them a kick up the backside, show them that if they don't pick up their game they're going to be dropped. For me Collins absolutely needs a go for the Bears, and JWH needs to retire end of the year. Our only good prop this year has been Tauks and he's gone end of the year. As for 2nd row, I think Crichton has been unnecessarily scathed on the forum, howver even if his offense hasn't been fantastic, he is still a very strong defender. Sitili on the other hand makes worse defensive reads than an illiterate. When Egan is back to full health he has to move into 2nd row, Sitili off the bench. What I fail to understand is why are we selecting Baker and Hutchison if they're only going to play 10-15 minutes, especially considering Verrills can go the 80 minutes.

For me, the pack against the Titans needs to look like the following:
                    8. DSF
                    9. Verrills
                    10. Tauks
                    11. Crichton (on the left)
                    12. Sitili (saved by the fact that Whyte hasn't been carving up RG)
                    13. Radley (pls run it straight on occasion radley)
                    14. Tuku Hau
                    15. JWH
                    16. Whyte
                    17. T May (if Roosters are unable to get him into the game due to contracting then N. Butcher)

This is a radical change, and perhaps crazy, but for me something needs to be done. And before people come at me saying the forwards aren't the problem, that its Keary and Walker and our left centre, on that behalf there's nothing we can do because we dont have the depth in those positions

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingRooster View Post
                      For me, it's not so much a long term pack change as opposed to short term. Yes we have some good up and comers but realistically are they ready yet for he rigours of First Grade. On top of that, when it comes to the big games, we're going to field our best team, regardless of form, meaning JWH, Collins, Tauks and Tupu are all going to be there. I propose however that Robinson drops the majority of these guys for a game or two, give them a kick up the backside, show them that if they don't pick up their game they're going to be dropped. For me Collins absolutely needs a go for the Bears, and JWH needs to retire end of the year. Our only good prop this year has been Tauks and he's gone end of the year. As for 2nd row, I think Crichton has been unnecessarily scathed on the forum, howver even if his offense hasn't been fantastic, he is still a very strong defender. Sitili on the other hand makes worse defensive reads than an illiterate. When Egan is back to full health he has to move into 2nd row, Sitili off the bench. What I fail to understand is why are we selecting Baker and Hutchison if they're only going to play 10-15 minutes, especially considering Verrills can go the 80 minutes.

For me, the pack against the Titans needs to look like the following:
                      8. DSF
                      9. Verrills
                      10. Tauks
                      11. Crichton (on the left)
                      12. Sitili (saved by the fact that Whyte hasn't been carving up RG)
                      13. Radley (pls run it straight on occasion radley)
                      14. Tuku Hau
                      15. JWH
                      16. Whyte
                      17. T May (if Roosters are unable to get him into the game due to contracting then N. Butcher)

This is a radical change, and perhaps crazy, but for me something needs to be done. And before people come at me saying the forwards aren't the problem, that its Keary and Walker and our left centre, on that behalf there's nothing we can do because we dont have the depth in those positions
                      I should also add DSF is averaging 200 metres per game in RG, he just needs to not be a f-wit and do something stupid. As for a utility, we don't need one. If 9 goes down we have Radley, if 3-4 go down we have Crichton and Sitili. If 6-7 go down we have Manu and Keighran. Hutchison does not need to be there. There's no point in having a utility unless he's quality and can make impact off the bench aka Watson, Brandon Smith, Mitch Kenny
                      Last edited by FlamingRooster; 05-01-2022, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post

I watched it all, but couldn't believe it was happening.

I think I saw a deliberate tactic by the Dogs of kicking grubbers straight at the legs of our players, hoping to make our players kick the ball into touch, knock on trying to catch the ball, or kick it back to them accidentally thereby giving them another 6 tackles.
                        I'll have to check the replay.
                        Absolutely.

Comment

jwh can't go on forever but he had a delayed start to preseason and every chance he'll keep on improving. last year was possible his best ever. rads and butch are looking good. sitili's ball running has been very damaging. crichton is an elite forward. tauks is looking as good as ever.
                          we have to look to replace tauks and jwh sooner rather than later but ir'a nor as if we've got a team of nobodies.

Comment

I would definitely have Fifita over Baker at the moment.

Baker seems the old school prop. Slow off the mark.

Not to say Baker won't become something special I just think at this stage we need Fifitas aggression.

Comment

I think DSF has more fear factor, go forward and aggression than Baker so I'd play him off the bench going forward. Needs to be controlled aggression though.

Comment

baker's been pretty good for mine. he's very skilful for a forward

Comment

Working...
                                X