Tupou For State of Origin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tupou For State of Origin?

SMH reporting Tupou is a surprise pick. Not sure how I feel about this. Yes I am.....Noooooooo! We need him!

By Michael Chammas and Adam Pengilly

Brad Fittler is poised to pull a State of Origin shock with giant Roosters winger Daniel Tupou set to be parachuted into the NSW squad to play his first game since 2020.

Stephen Crichton will make his State of Origin debut after winning the race for one of the vacant spots in Brad Fittler’s NSW backline, with Panthers teammate Liam Martin fighting for a position in the 18-man squad. And he could feature in a new-look outside backs with Fittler banking on Tupou’s height to potentially counter the aerial threat of Queensland wingers Xavier Coates and Selwyn Cobbo, who is poised to make his Maroons debut.

It leaves Josh Addo-Carr in limbo before Sunday’s clash between his struggling Bulldogs and the Dragons. Addo-Carr has been a mainstay of Fittler’s squad since he took over as NSW coach in 2018. While the news was good for Tupou, it wasn’t so bright for Roosters teammate Angus Crichton who is set to lose his spot in the NSW team.

Stephen Crichton has been told to head into Blues camp on Sunday and will wear NSW colours for the first time at senior level after an impressive start to the season with the premiers. Fittler had been searching for two new centres after injuries to last year’s heroes Tom Trbojevic and Latrell Mitchell. But Martin, who played all three games for NSW last year, is poised to be part of Fittler’s extended squad of 22 pending the outcome of Sunday matches between the Bulldogs and Dragons as well Raiders and Eels.

Crichton will be part of at least five Penrith players in Brad Fittler’s 18-man squad alongside walk-up starts Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, Brian To’o and Isaah Yeo. Hooker Api Koroisau is poised to shadow first-choice No.9 Damien Cook and also be part of Fittler’s extended squad. South Sydney skipper Cameron Murray has been rushed back into the Blues set-up after making a successful return from minor shoulder surgery on Saturday night. He was spotted entering NSW camp in Coogee on Sunday.

I love SOO. But I’d rather no Roosters play in it. It takes away from our premiership drive, and that’s all it’s about for me.
    Red, White and Bluesters!!!

Comment

Couldn't think of a more deserved player.

Comment

I'm not fussed on Origin but fark yeah, pumped for Toops and no player would be more deserving !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Serenader View Post
          I love SOO. But I’d rather no Roosters play in it. It takes away from our premiership drive, and that’s all it’s about for me.
          Agree but am happy for Toops… a well deserved extra 30k

Comment

Very happy for Toops if true.

Comment

In a bombshell selection, Roosters teenager Joseph Suaalii is to be chosen in the NSW Blues 22-man squad on Sunday night.
              I hate SoO

I think Joseph Suaalii is the best winger in the comp, would not swap him for anyone.

Don't know how we are going to keep him, he will have buckets of money thrown at him.

Rugby will defiantly be looking as he would make an ideal inside centre but other clubs will come hard as well.

Comment

Can Squad players still play this weekend

Comment

I’m not fussed with origin as it’s always been about QLD and the QLD dollar mixed with corny nostalgia for the QLD old boy’s.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterBooster View Post
                    Can Squad players still play this weekend
                    Generally, yes. They bring in guys like Suaalii to get experience throughout the week and release them if they will realistically not play.

Would have to think if Addo Carr doesnt play that he would be the first winger called up and vice versa with Tupou.

Comment

I hope none of our players are involved.
                      Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

If I were Freddy I wouldn't select Teddy, Toops or Gussie. Instead, I'd pick Shyzen-hoossen, To'o and Martin

Comment

arguably the best winger in the country

Comment

I hope so, he did nothing wrong to lose his spot when he had it a few years ago.

all of a sudden, we have teddy,Toops,Angus and Collins almost guaranteed by all reports.

gonna be tough in Canberra next week.

Comment

Toops is the best winger in the game. Closely followed by To’o. It’s not just about try scoring it’s about working hard from your own end and being able to defend a kick. Nobody does it better than Toops. Eat shit Ad-Car. I’m sick of seeing this bloke get man handled every time he touches the ball. Gone is the day when wingers just needed to be quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X