1980 Roosters grand final team - reminiscing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
    Not sure what happened in that GF game although I did hear that Fulton flogged then at training leading up to the game. They looked flat and played accordingly.

The only break or half break I recall them making all game was David Michael's one.

Hartley penalised them out of the game in my view and missed several forward passes which one of them led to a try and was awarded the Golden Bulldogs as the Dogs player of the match in the Grand Final.

$5 Grand final ticket for General Admission
    Turvey Mortimer made some classic cover tackles to cut down our wingers.
    I thought we would win a comp with that team but the great eels team dominated that era.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos Parra View Post
      Fullback: Martin Leonard GURR (Nickname: Hammer)
      Student - Age Today: 63 years and 260 days

Winger: David MICHAEL
      Age Today: 63 years and 302 days

Centre: Kerry Richard BOUSTEAD (Nickname: Bowie)
      Student - Age Today: 62 years and 290 days

Centre: Noel CLEAL (Nickname: Crusher)
      Pig Farmer - Age Today: 64 years and 225 days

Winger: Stephen Glenn MCFARLANE (Nickname: Bozo)
      Clerk - Age Today: 63 years and 220 days

Five Eighth: Ken WRIGHT
      Age Today: 66 years, 48 days

Halfback: Kevin HASTINGS (Nickname: Horrie / GOD)
      Age Today: 65 years and 144 days
      Other:
      • Amco Cup player of the series in 1979
      • Rugby League Week Player of the Year in 1980, 1981 and 1982
      • Won the Rothmans Medal in 1981
      • Won the Dally M Halfback of the Year in 1980, 1981 and 1982
      • Won the "Toughest Competitor Alive" event in 2015

Lock: Gary William Edward WARNECKE
      Electrician - Age Today: 65 years and 100 days

Second Row: Desmond Charles O'REILLY (Nickname: Big Des)
      Student - Died: Monday, 7th March, 2016 (Aged 61 years and 109 days)

Second Row: John TOBIN (Nickname: Tobes)
      Age Today: 62 years and 290 days

Front Row / Captain: Royce AYLIFFE
      Age Today: 66 years and 148 days

Hooker: John LANG
      Machinist - Age Today: 71 years and 203 days

Front Row: John Michael HARVEY (Nickname: Harves)
      Cellarman - Age Today: 67 years and 40 days
      Hey Carlos what's the deal with your sig?

Comment

I wanted to go to the Grand Final that day with my friends, so what did we do? We lined up and bought tickets at the gate (can't remember what time) and found a place on the hill. ("An' you try tellin' the young people today that, and they won't believe you!)

Comment

Same we pissed it up the night before. CAUGHT a train into town camped across the road..jumped the fence and land on a packet of beer drank more slept on the hill till kick off....
          That Hartley gave us no chance that day . Caned us in everytheverythingorba ribbed him for years over it.
          That team deserved the comp that year.
          2 days later a friend and I sat Hartley at a news agency..he was working for Rothmans..mate says that cheating prick I'll teach him..runs across the road and puts one on his chin.
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by The Lip View Post

Hey Carlos what's the deal with your sig?
            My sig? I tried to add one yesterday but it seems it doesn't work. Carlos played a bit of reserve grade in the 80s and scored some great length of field tries. Carlos is not a Parra supporter!

1985: 1 try vs Parramatta, 1 try vs Manly, 1 try vs Wests, 2 tries vs Souffs
            1986: 2 tries vs Illawarra, 1 try vs Balmain, 2 tries vs Norths.

Comment

My sig? I tried to add one yesterday but it seems it doesn't work. Carlos played a bit of reserve grade in the 80s and scored some great length of field tries. Carlos is not a Parra supporter!
              Was your nickname Sparra, mate?

RL Project might have sold you short, said 2 gigs in 1986, one win, one loss.

Comment

we see this as your sig which is what I was referring to. So they are some try stats of Carlos Parra in 85/86 reserve grade then?

Comment

1980 is my first clear memory as a supporter - 9 years old.

I was devastated when we lost. I honestly had no concept that we could actually lose - what a lesson that was. Bawled my eyes out. Bozo killed them by over training in the week leading up - did similar in 1981 too.

That 1981 side - it was a travesty they didn't win that comp. Clearly the best team in the comp that year...absolutely blew it when it counted.

The 1980 side had alot of local juniors too (Gurr, McFarlane, Hastings, Warnecke, Tobin and O'Reilly - Wright was from the area too but a rugger player growing up). Once that Bozo era was over it was a painful 15 years or so until things started to turn around again.

Comment

David Michael washes my dog every Wednesday. Still looks fit. We have reminisced over 'that' try.
                    Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

I remember being at Leichhardt Oval for the last round and they announced over the PA that we were minor premiers when we beat the Tigers and West were beaten by Newtown. Brian and the Turner stand army who were sitting in one the old wooden grandstand at Leichhardt were going off waving flags and singing Minor Premiers, Minor Premiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post

Goalkicking was a problem; at different stages we tried Fairfax, Hastings, Barry Andrews, Ken Wright and even Noel Cleal. Ron Giteau solved that problem in 1981.
                        Barry Andrews was a top line goal kicker and could slot them from over half way during his career with Cronulla and Easts. I remember one really off day he had for Easts where he kicked 1 from 6 against Canterbury but that is the only off day i can remember, fond memories of him at Shark park scoring a try against his old side and also slotting a goal from 52 metres out. but one of the best and worse memories of him was against Norths at NSO where he broke his arm but still scored all our points, Easts had used their two replacements so couldn't replaced Andrews and he played most of the second half with a broken arm, he scored the only try where he trailed i think it was Noel Cleal and pulled in the pass one handed to score and then with his arm dangling by his side he kicked a pressure goal to level the scores at 11-11. 9 out of the 11 points were scored when his arm was broken, sadly it was the last game he played for Easts.

Comment

Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
                          I remember being at Leichhardt Oval for the last round and they announced over the PA that we were minor premiers when we beat the Tigers and West were beaten by Newtown. Brian and the Turner stand army who were sitting in one the old wooden grandstand at Leichhardt were going off waving flags and singing Minor Premiers, Minor Premiers.
                          I remember also from the game the configuration of Leichhardt Oval as at one end you could see the water. Also Bernie Gurr played that game his first run on 1st Grade game.

Yes it was Roosters/Wests and Canterbury all with a chance to be minor premiers that last game.

Ah the old days of 3 grades and around the grounds score updates of all grade games and updating the big league ladders - under 23's / Reserve Grade/1st Grade and Club Championships - marking of the scrums and penalties - T for tries and Goals /Attempts table I would draw.

1 Game Saturday ( 3 grades) and 5 on Sunday (3 grades) and lining up before the gates opened

Last edited by King Salvo; 05-30-2022, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

I remember also from the game the configuration of Leichhardt Oval as at one end you could see the water. Also Bernie Gurr played that game his first run on 1st Grade game.

Yes it was Roosters/Wests and Canterbury all with a chance to be minor premiers that last game.

Ah the old days of 3 grades and around the grounds score updates of all grade games and updating the big league ladders - under 23's / Reserve Grade/1st Grade and Club Championships - marking of the scrums and penalties - T for tries and Goals /Attempts table I would draw.

1 Game Saturday ( 3 grades) and 5 on Sunday (3 grades) and lining up before the gates opened

I remember that poster Salvo. I also remember that GF loss and my young teenage self crying my eyes out after it. I hate seeing that Gearin try as much, if not more than the Sattler tackle.

Comment

Fullback: Martin Leonard GURR (Nickname: Hammer)
                              Student - Age Today: 63 years and 260 days

Winger: David MICHAEL
                              Age Today: 63 years and 302 days

Centre: Kerry Richard BOUSTEAD (Nickname: Bowie)
                              Student - Age Today: 62 years and 290 days

Centre: Noel CLEAL (Nickname: Crusher)
                              Pig Farmer - Age Today: 64 years and 225 days

Winger: Stephen Glenn MCFARLANE (Nickname: Bozo)
                              Clerk - Age Today: 63 years and 220 days

Five Eighth: Ken WRIGHT
                              Age Today: 66 years, 48 days

Halfback: Kevin HASTINGS (Nickname: Horrie / GOD)
                              Age Today: 65 years and 144 days
                              Other:
                              • Amco Cup player of the series in 1979
                              • Rugby League Week Player of the Year in 1980, 1981 and 1982
                              • Won the Rothmans Medal in 1981
                              • Won the Dally M Halfback of the Year in 1980, 1981 and 1982
                              • Won the "Toughest Competitor Alive" event in 2015

Lock: Gary William Edward WARNECKE
                              Electrician - Age Today: 65 years and 100 days

Second Row: Desmond Charles O'REILLY (Nickname: Big Des)
                              Student - Died: Monday, 7th March, 2016 (Aged 61 years and 109 days)

Second Row: John TOBIN (Nickname: Tobes)
                              Age Today: 62 years and 290 days

Front Row / Captain: Royce AYLIFFE
                              Age Today: 66 years and 148 days

Hooker: John LANG
                              Machinist - Age Today: 71 years and 203 days

Front Row: John Michael HARVEY (Nickname: Harves)
                              Cellarman - Age Today: 67 years and 40 days
                              Great post. What does the signature part at the bottom of yours posts refer to?

Comment

Great memories. From that era I remember Noel and Les Cleal tearing up St George at Jubilee Oval with massive barnstorming runs up the middle. I can't remember the year though.
                                It was 1982, East won 22-15 after trailing 9-15 with 11 minutes to go. Noel Cleal scored after he knocked down a Craig Young pass then turned around picked up the ball and ran 55 metres to score to give East a 17-15 lead, Les Cleal sealed the win when he charged down a Graeme Wynn chip kick to score. That is one of my favourite games and i wish i could find a copy of it .

Comment

Working...
                                X