1980 Roosters grand final team - reminiscing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carlos Parra View Post

He was very fast and generally reliable - as far as wingers went in the 80s. Compared to Boustead he was useless but compared to Steve McFarlane he was a genius!
    He had no evasive skills whatsoever. No step, no swerve, no change of pace, no fend, absolutely nothing other than being fast. I actually preferred McFarlane, he might have actually at least contested the kick with Gearin instead of tackling him as he was going over the try line

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post

Panda used to kick the ball so high, it was a nightmare for the touchies with those short Sports Ground uprights !
      Yes the up rights were short at the Sports Ground compared to other grounds, i was at a game at the Sports Ground back in 1978 against Parramatta and Kevin Stevens had a shot at goal and it was high and close to the flag on the top of one of the up rights, i swore it was in, it was one flag up and flag down from the touchies and the ref disallowed it. I remember the goal posts at Lidcombe Oval were high.
      Last edited by horrie hastings; 06-02-2022, 07:58 PM.

Comment

He was very fast and generally reliable - as far as wingers went in the 80s. Compared to Boustead he was useless but compared to Steve McFarlane he was a genius!
        Night mares of Steve Mc Farlane dropping the ball with the line wide open in the Final against Newtown in 1981 with the Roosters trailing 5-10 with 7 mins to go, wiped out any chance of Easts making the Grand Final.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
          I remember Warnecke's somersault after scoring a try the week before against Wests. If my memory serves me correct, David Michael was a dud and a myth.
          Gary Warnecke’s try against Wests and his somersault was for his Bondi /Paddo mates. I was there and also the Anzac Day game against Wests on the old sports ground when Gary won the man of the match. He was a tough and a elusive player with good hands. A 5/8 lock. Radley reminds me of Warnecke.

Comment

Micheal and McFarlane were both under-rated wingers..........whereas Boustead was very over-rated.

Don't get me wrong, he was a good winger as well.................but his speciality was running across field to the other sideline and selling Fahey a dump.
            I really rated Boustead higher as a person with excellent morals.
            His stance over super league in North QLD proved that.

On David Micheal...............I pretty sure I remember him playing lock forward on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by John Corey View Post
              David Michael washes my dog every Wednesday. Still looks fit. We have reminisced over 'that' try.
              Must be a dirty dog to need a bath every week.

Michael had PACE. Our fastest winger until Shane Wheratt came along.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Micheal and McFarlane were both under-rated wingers..........whereas Boustead was very over-rated.

Don't get me wrong, he was a good winger as well.................but his speciality was running across field to the other sideline and selling Fahey a dump.

On David Micheal...............I pretty sure I remember him playing lock forward on occasion.
                I think Boustead was a better rep player than a club player. But he was all over the shop, too, at Easts, from wing to fullback to centre and back again.

Comment

David Michael 53 games 8 tries
                  Steve McFarlane 65 games 19 tries
                  Kerry Boustead 80 games 32 tries

Kerry Boustead was one of my favourite players growing up....until he went to Manly

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Maybe I was a bit harsh on David Michael, though I don't think he quite lived up to the hype about his blistering pace.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
                      feel sick every time i see that steve gearin try
                      Freakish try, absolute classic, pity was against us, coupled with Chris Anderson BS try, was long bewildered walk home after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post

Must be a dirty dog to need a bath every week.

Michael had PACE. Our fastest winger until Shane Wheratt came along.
                        We live on acreage, with a dam and lots of horse $hit. Big German shepherd who likes to swim and roll in horse $hit.

David did say he was the quickest at the Club. Also talked about a race he had against Offiah.
                        Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

Originally posted by John Corey View Post

We live on acreage, with a dam and lots of horse $hit. Big German shepherd who likes to swim and roll in horse $hit.

David did say he was the quickest at the Club. Also talked about a race he had against Offiah.
                          Lol Well, that's understandable

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonkers View Post

Freakish try, absolute classic, pity was against us, coupled with Chris Anderson BS try, was long bewildered walk home after that.
                            but i love seeing replays of the stacey jones try in the 2002 gf - such a great individual try and a testament to what we were up against

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post
                              David Michael 53 games 8 tries
                              Steve McFarlane 65 games 19 tries
                              Kerry Boustead 80 games 32 tries

Kerry Boustead was one of my favourite players growing up....until he went to Manly
                              Thanks for that summary. Michael didn't get over the try line too often did he?

1985: 1 try vs Parramatta, 1 try vs Manly, 1 try vs Wests, 2 tries vs Souffs
                              1986: 2 tries vs Illawarra, 1 try vs Balmain, 2 tries vs Norths.

Comment

Thanks for that summary. Michael didn't get over the try line too often did he?
                                Yeah he was a bit of a disappointment in my mind. I was 13yo in 1980 and kept reading about him being the fastest player in the NSWRL. Yet every time he got into space he seemed to get tackled into touch by the cover defence!

Comment

Working...
                                X