1980 Roosters grand final team - reminiscing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post

Gary Warnecke’s try against Wests and his somersault was for his Bondi /Paddo mates. I was there and also the Anzac Day game against Wests on the old sports ground when Gary won the man of the match. He was a tough and a elusive player with good hands. A 5/8 lock. Radley reminds me of Warnecke.
    Warnecke I recall ran 80 or so metres for a try ( intercept ) round 5 vs Wests in 1980 if that is the try you are mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post

Yes the up rights were short at the Sports Ground compared to other grounds, i was at a game at the Sports Ground back in 1978 against Parramatta and Kevin Stevens had a shot at goal and it was high and close to the flag on the top of one of the up rights, i swore it was in, it was one flag up and flag down from the touchies and the ref disallowed it. I remember the goal posts at Lidcombe Oval were high.
      The Lidcombe oval ones were one of the tallest goal posts in the southern hemisphere as were the ones at Concord Oval - Both around 21 metres tall above ground and around 4 1/2 metres underground and concreted in.

Can't find a better photo of the Lidcombe oval Goal posts but the size of the crane gives one an idea of the size of the posts as does the better one of the Concord Oval Goal posts.

Not sure why they were so tall though ?

Last edited by King Salvo; 06-04-2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X