Rabbs Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post
    I've listened to him since the amco cup era in the 70s, pretty harsh some of the comments here in my opinion.
    He has been an iconic voice in our game and another race caller who has made the leap into different sports. I think he was at his best with sterlo and fatty and has probably gone a decade too long and suffered with the influx of poly names.
    Exactly, used to love his commentary with Keith Barnes of the Amco cup matches. as you say probably stayed a decade to long but i remember his calls from years ago and he was one of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster36 View Post

He hates us!! That’s what
      Oh never mind , he's harmless

Comment

i liked him when he called the amco cup - good luck to him.
        one thing about him, his description of karmichael hunt aside, he was never nasty in his comments about players.

Comment

The only fond memory of Ray Warren was his call with Keith Barnes on “that try” in the shellacking of Manly on the sports ground in 1982.

Comment

I can't remember him knocking or disliking the Roosters or players though.

Comment

Since I started watching league Rabs has been the main commentator which is nearly 20 years ago.Despite the opinion of others I enjoyed his commentary especially when Sterlo was alongside him both of them are far better than some of the blokes in commentary today & now both are no longer on TV.Having said that I hope Rabs enjoys retirement he's earned it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                I liked him.
                I remember him calling the Amco Cup at Leichhardt Oval out of a red double decker bus. The grandstand thats there now wasnt there then.
                Yes he was good back then before the dementia and Bells palsy stuffed him up in about 2000.

Comment

I actually found that from 2018 onwards he was really bias, critical and at most times just being a prick about us in our performances. Cronk threw every forward pass imaginable, our chasers were always in front of the kicker. Opposition players were missing from previous games we played against them hence the reason why we only won...

You could seriously put a video together of all these comments and it will make up 80 minutes of football just in the past five years. Go back to when we beat St George at the SFS in 2018 and onwards, all the way through to the Preliminary Final where he said we only beat Souths because Alex Johnstone got injured in the early stages and Sam Burgess was suspended. Hello, on that night we beat Souths to get into the GF without Latrell Mitchell, Dylan Napa and some more players but yet they were at full strength..... No mention the week after in the Grand Final about that hey Rabs.....

Oh but I think his best was the 2019 GF, how the referee's destroyed Canberra's opportunity... What I don't get is why most people can't see that one it was the right call and two it was more harmful for us if it was 6 again as if Robinson had mentioned it in the press conference then we would have been called whingers & sore losers but of course in 2020 Rabs kept mentioning it on every occasion during our matches that our Back to Back titles only came off refereeing incompetency.

Enjoy retirement, and enjoy not ever seeing your beloved Eels not winning a premiership anytime soon. It will hurt him immensely when we win another title in his lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Aboud View Post
                    I actually found that from 2018 onwards he was really bias, critical and at most times just being a prick about us in our performances. Cronk threw every forward pass imaginable, our chasers were always in front of the kicker. Opposition players were missing from previous games we played against them hence the reason why we only won...

You could seriously put a video together of all these comments and it will make up 80 minutes of football just in the past five years. Go back to when we beat St George at the SFS in 2018 and onwards, all the way through to the Preliminary Final where he said we only beat Souths because Alex Johnstone got injured in the early stages and Sam Burgess was suspended. Hello, on that night we beat Souths to get into the GF without Latrell Mitchell, Dylan Napa and some more players but yet they were at full strength..... No mention the week after in the Grand Final about that hey Rabs.....

Oh but I think his best was the 2019 GF, how the referee's destroyed Canberra's opportunity... What I don't get is why most people can't see that one it was the right call and two it was more harmful for us if it was 6 again as if Robinson had mentioned it in the press conference then we would have been called whingers & sore losers but of course in 2020 Rabs kept mentioning it on every occasion during our matches that our Back to Back titles only came off refereeing incompetency.

Enjoy retirement, and enjoy not ever seeing your beloved Eels not winning a premiership anytime soon. It will hurt him immensely when we win another title in his lifetime.
                    Correct he made a knob of himself in the last 5 or even 10 years. However it was a long career before that where I thought he was the voice of RL and in a good way. He just went on too long.

Comment

Warren's been making a knob of himself for a lot of years.
                      Early on, instead of being a neutral caller he came out and declared his undying love for Parramatta.
                      Crying in public because of Mossop.
                      His cringe-worthy antics on the footy show.
                      And, as a commentator............he wasn't that good.

Comment

My 2013GF DVD is permanently ruined because of Warren's incredibly biased commentary against Easts. Yet he made not one mention of the worst decision in the game - the penalty try awarded to divin, lyin Lyon. One of the worst calls in GF history. Wally was hysterical about it, but not a whimper from Warren, Gould or Sterling.

Comment

I felt his commentary were getting more and more biased against us. Good luck to him but I'm not sad that he's gone.
                          I preferred Rex Mossop, who although a Manly man, was never overtly biased toward them.

I also preferred Hadley and Hollywood & Zorba as commentators.

My favourite all time though is Daryll Eastlake and Big Jack Gibson during Origin - magnificient duo.

Comment

Was a great caller back in his day, but that was looong time ago. Has been hopeless for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Pickett View Post
                              My favourite all time though is Daryll Eastlake and Big Jack Gibson during Origin - magnificient duo.
                              "Pearce off, Jack, Gibbes on"

Comment

Originally posted by Bondicigar View Post

Get off old rabbits back , fairdinkum what has he ever done that could upset anyone....

I thought he was great
                                lols

He hated us and was so overtly biased in his calls against us.
                                He always questioned our cap, club management, etc.

I also recall him analysing the video replays of foul play and giving his sentence there and then.

Good riddance!

Comment

Working...
                                X