Support Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Play

Has anyone else noticed how poor our support play has been this year? Today, against the Merge and against the Dogs, we've made clean breaks only for the ball runner to be surrounded by defenders with no passing option.

It has now cost us 3 games and I'm probably forgetting other times it has happened.

Was pissed no one backed up Watson’s break. Kez came late but guessing the team set up for next play so were getting into formation

Comment

Yes I said that on another post - Sitili and Watson made line breaks but had no support - it's basics though in supporting the ball carrier - seems to be a surprise that someone makes a line break.

Not sure if it's because of the sideways/across field attack that support players are somewhat flat footed and unable link with the ball carrier who has made the line break compared to a direct attack style where support players are pushing up on either side of the ball carrier in anticipation of a line break and or in support of the ball carrier if they pass or offload.

Roosters have made 60 line breaks so far the third most - 49 tries scored the sixth most- Not every line break will result in a try so it would be interesting to know how many tries they have scored from line breaks as they do score a few from kicks and or close to the line which are not from line breaks.

Last edited by King Salvo; 06-06-2022, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Waerea-Beast! View Post
        Has anyone else noticed how poor our support play has been this year? Today, against the Merge and against the Dogs, we've made clean breaks only for the ball runner to be surrounded by defenders with no passing option.

It has now cost us 3 games and I'm probably forgetting other times it has happened.
        Absolutely and well spotted. It used to be a feature of our play. Why is this happening???

Comment

Working...
        X