What does “ Roosters Way” mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddo Colt 61 View Post
    With respect Tennessee the eastern suburbs was never a thoroughgoing working class area. Vaucluse, Woollahra, Rose Bay, Dover Heights were all patrician from earliest times. Randwick, Paddington, Darlinghurst and Potts Point had also been bourgeois but the building of a suburban rail network by 1895 had seen a flight from close living by the upper class to the new, healthier garden suburbs and that vacuum was filled by working class renters. Of course Woolloomooloo and East Sydney had always been low rent. Double Bay, too, had a split personality. Messenger lived down there and one of the first games of League was played in Double Bay Park but it and neighbour Darling Point harboured wealth for the most part. There was a considerably sized working class renter enclave everywhere (Clovelly was called Poverty Point in the Depression years) but there were plenty of home owners in handsome 19 Century dwellings the further you went from the inner city.

or better 'it's representative of the local eastern suburbs area parts of which were very working class'. don't know if there was much support for the game from the north eastern part of the area in the early days - the roosters were a working class team

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post
      Nice thread RoosterBooster, with some great replies.

Until the usual bore derailed it with marxist ideology.

If you own anything, you're always gonna be on his shit list.

Maybe if we all chipped in and paid Big Sammy to let him go down on him he might agree to leave good threads alone?
      Haha....he's seeping his loony into the main forum now, uninhibited. Hi Mods again.

For the record, any true fan would know how Robbo has strongly linked our foundations to men and women who built the East...indeed working class and battlers. But hard working and never gave up.

I guess that's us now, and a big part of that inherited culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennessee Tornado View Post
        The Roosters Way is that the foundation of success is based on hard work.

It's representative of the local Eastern Suburbs area which at the turn of the century was very working class and hard work turned it into the area it is today.

It's respecting the history of the club, the area and the people that made it happen.

A few years ago Robbo did a members event at the SCG where he explained it in detail....with a powerpoint presentation. It was very interesting and and thoroughly worthwhile attending. You could see that he is the Roosters' Chairman in waiting.

Just found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQADUVpFOWk
        Count me as Hard after watching that.

Comment

I know what it is I just forgot what it looks like.

Comment

Should be "bash the opposition into submission then run over them to win".

Comment

Then they changed the game to rugba leeg...new rules.
              Helter skelter replaced structured.
              Fast and furious replaced set defence.
              Set restarts, piggy back set restarts, piggy back on piggy back set restarts instead of penalties.
              Every time we win a comp they change the rules.
              We need big, young, fast players who don't make mistakes and don't give away dumb penalties.

Comment

It starts with defence as Robbo said & to lose Friend Cords & Aubo has been a massive hit for the club & they have not been replaced with players as good or better same goes for Latrell & Cronk.
                The Roosters way was peeking when those 5 were playing but its way off that now.

Comment

Right now (regardless of results) I think our ideals are:

- Defend hard... try not to let in more than about 2 or 3 tries because after that you're rolling the dice with your result. Defence goes ahead of attack.

- Develop good men outta your footy who bring positive energy to the club.

- No excuses. Don't front up to a game making excuses about who's available and what situation we're in before the ball's even been kicked off. We're born winners, not a diversity inclusion!

- Play positive footy. Don't play for penalties... get the fark up and play the ball or go for a tackle unless the ref's specifically blown their whistle and said 'STOOOP!!!' Assume the ball's alive all the time.

- Play what's in front of you.

- Always be adapting your game and evolving your plans.

Comment

The Roosters way should be "Have some ****ing pride in your jersey, you overpaid bastards. You don't have Cordner and Friend to bludge behind anymore."

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
                      Then they changed the game to rugba leeg...new rules.
                      Helter skelter replaced structured.
                      Fast and furious replaced set defence.
                      Set restarts, piggy back set restarts, piggy back on piggy back set restarts instead of penalties.
                      Every time we win a comp they change the rules.
                      We need big, young, fast players who don't make mistakes and don't give away dumb penalties.
                      Hehehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Tennessee Tornado View Post
                        The Roosters Way is that the foundation of success is based on hard work.

It's representative of the local Eastern Suburbs area which at the turn of the century was very working class and hard work turned it into the area it is today.

It's respecting the history of the club, the area and the people that made it happen.

A few years ago Robbo did a members event at the SCG where he explained it in detail....with a powerpoint presentation. It was very interesting and and thoroughly worthwhile attending. You could see that he is the Roosters' Chairman in waiting.

Just found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQADUVpFOWk
                        Terrific find. Congrats on finding that. It seems like the Roosters way is hard, hard work.
                        “Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead”- (Baha’u’llah)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post
                          The Roosters way should be "Have some ****ing pride in your jersey, you overpaid bastards. You don't have Cordner and Friend to bludge behind anymore."
                          is this the same j.friend everyone said was useless, to kick happy , a liability, threw to many forward passes or another one ...

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post

is this the same j.friend everyone said was useless, to kick happy , a liability, threw to many forward passes or another one ...
                            yep, a few strands to what the roosters way is and part of it is fans bagging players unfairly and unmercifully

Comment

Originally posted by Paddo Colt 61 View Post
                              With respect Tennessee the eastern suburbs was never a thoroughgoing working class area. Vaucluse, Woollahra, Rose Bay, Dover Heights were all patrician from earliest times. Randwick, Paddington, Darlinghurst and Potts Point had also been bourgeois but the building of a suburban rail network by 1895 had seen a flight from close living by the upper class to the new, healthier garden suburbs and that vacuum was filled by working class renters. Of course Woolloomooloo and East Sydney had always been low rent. Double Bay, too, had a split personality. Messenger lived down there and one of the first games of League was played in Double Bay Park but it and neighbour Darling Point harboured wealth for the most part. There was a considerably sized working class renter enclave everywhere (Clovelly was called Poverty Point in the Depression years) but there were plenty of home owners in handsome 19 Century dwellings the further you went from the inner city.
                              My father grew up in Paddington (Sutherland St.) during the depression.
                              The terrace house had a dirt floor kitchen, my pop worked in a factory (one of the lucky ones) , and dad was made to start a trade at the age of fourteen.
                              Seeing a car in Paddington was a major event.
                              Sounds pretty "working class" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

My father grew up in Paddington (Sutherland St.) during the depression.
                                The terrace house had a dirt floor kitchen, my pop worked in a factory (one of the lucky ones) , and dad was made to start a trade at the age of fourteen.
                                Seeing a car in Paddington was a major event.
                                Sounds pretty "working class" to me.
                                I grew up in Bondi Junction. It was pretty rough in the 70s and 80s. Now my old street is filled with 4WDs driven by people who can't drive.

Kids would play cricket or footy on the street, ride skateboards, get into a stink or two, move if a car came, then keep playing. Nowadays they're all inside.

It sh!ts me when I tell people I grew up in Bondi Junction. They react as though I was brought up with a silver spoon. They have NFI what it used to be. Sadly it ain't the place it used to be.

Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X