SQUAD v TIGERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

I don’t care where they sit on the table. It’s a very weak competition this season. Read my match day threads where I stated before both these games that these teams were weak.

We played a great game against Penrith and Melbourne. Nothing wrong with our attitude on these night. Our attitude was never the problem. Our execution, our ball control and our defence were the problem.

It’s been great to see the improvement in the side over the last month but let’s get real. Our turn around in form can be credited to the much weaker opposition we have been playing. Our true test is Round 24 and 25.
    So is it your opinion that determines the strength or weakness of our opposition? Both the Broncos and Cowboys have won more games than us. The Cowboys have a far superior PD. The Broncos have had just as difficult a draw as us.

The things you mention as our problem - execution, ball control and defence all start with our attitude. The right attitude will lead to improvements in all of those other areas. And it has been our attitude in games we are expected to win that has been lacking. It's easier to get up for the big games, like Penrith and Storm but our attitude to the other games has definitely been off this year.

There's no doubt that the team can play good football, defend well for extended periods and control the ball. You don't lose those skills overnight. What does change very quickly is our attitude. And when that is positive the other things fall into place.

IMO this week is the bigger test for us.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
      The guys they were missing were soft bastards who are happy to get tattoos (aka 'practice witchcraft' according to the good book) but can't love thy neighbour. Some weird shyte gets preached at those community-based Pentecostal gatherings and (for example) real Christians like DCE, Foran and Trbo were all playing. It wasn't a religious thing... it was a thin veil for the fact that gays are widely discriminated against in most pacific islander communities. A bunch of sookie children (who woulda made no difference anyway) boycotted because they didn't wanna put their club/sponsors first.
      Going on the treatment of that Rugby Sevens...person who was born female but now, apparently, identifies as a male, they are still as moribund in a lot of their thinking as their Stone Age culture suggests.

Comment

IMO Manly was a special situation though...

- NRL was in apology mode so the refs went easy on them (scrappiness is a product of having 7 less important players out and they weren't penalised for it as many handling errors were just ignored).

- Manly bunkered down and had a point to prove. Also they were fighting to stay in the top-8 (i.e. they were above us and NEEDED to win).

- Manly still had DCE, Foran, Paseka, Garrick, Trbo, Walker, Taupau...etc. They also blooded Fulton, which was significant for them (and added an element of surprise). The guys they were missing were soft bastards who are happy to get tattoos (aka 'practice witchcraft' according to the good book) but can't love thy neighbour. Some weird shyte gets preached at those community-based Pentecostal gatherings and (for example) real Christians like DCE, Foran and Trbo were all playing. It wasn't a religious thing... it was a thin veil for the fact that gays are widely discriminated against in most pacific islander communities. A bunch of sookie children (who woulda made no difference anyway) boycotted because they didn't wanna put their club/sponsors first.
        Sometimes you really hit the mark Izzy. Agree with all the above, particularly the last bit.

Comment

I don’t care where they sit on the table. It’s a very weak competition this season. Read my match day threads where I stated before both these games that these teams were weak.

We played a great game against Penrith and Melbourne. Nothing wrong with our attitude on these night. Our attitude was never the problem. Our execution, our ball control and our defence were the problem.

It’s been great to see the improvement in the side over the last month but let’s get real. Our turn around in form can be credited to the much weaker opposition we have been playing. Our true test is Round 24 and 25.
          Excellent summation. I'd add Verrills, Victor and Keary returning has enabled the pieces of the puzzle to slide back into place. Attitude was always there.
          Pity we lost Billy and Sitili as Momo is our very very weak link. He could be our BJ 2019 GF moment, fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Noosa Rooster View Post

So is it your opinion that determines the strength or weakness of our opposition? Both the Broncos and Cowboys have won more games than us. The Cowboys have a far superior PD. The Broncos have had just as difficult a draw as us.

The things you mention as our problem - execution, ball control and defence all start with our attitude. The right attitude will lead to improvements in all of those other areas. And it has been our attitude in games we are expected to win that has been lacking. It's easier to get up for the big games, like Penrith and Storm but our attitude to the other games has definitely been off this year.

There's no doubt that the team can play good football, defend well for extended periods and control the ball. You don't lose those skills overnight. What does change very quickly is our attitude. And when that is positive the other things fall into place.

IMO this week is the bigger test for us.
            Nice response.

For sure poor attitude affected us in our losses to Saints, Knights and Dogs. But I don’t think in was about attitude in the recent string of 4 losses in a row. We could have won both the games against Storm and Penrith. Defensive laps, and poor ball control cost us in these games.

Cows and Broncos are only above us on the table because we have been poor and lost too many games we were expected to win. I don’t believe for a second that they are quality sides who are better than us. We did get 8 competition points against these sides this year despite what could only be considered as a mediocre season from us thus far.
            Last edited by Thirteen; 08-18-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

IMO Manly was a special situation though...

- NRL was in apology mode so the refs went easy on them (scrappiness is a product of having 7 less important players out and they weren't penalised for it as many handling errors were just ignored).

- Manly bunkered down and had a point to prove. Also they were fighting to stay in the top-8 (i.e. they were above us and NEEDED to win).

- Manly still had DCE, Foran, Paseka, Garrick, Trbo, Walker, Taupau...etc. They also blooded Fulton, which was significant for them (and added an element of surprise). The guys they were missing were soft bastards who are happy to get tattoos (aka 'practice witchcraft' according to the good book) but can't love thy neighbour. Some weird shyte gets preached at those community-based Pentecostal gatherings and (for example) real Christians like DCE, Foran and Trbo were all playing. It wasn't a religious thing... it was a thin veil for the fact that gays are widely discriminated against in most pacific islander communities. A bunch of sookie children (who woulda made no difference anyway) boycotted because they didn't wanna put their club/sponsors first.
              Just out of interest… are you a pacific islander? & where did you research that “…gays are WIDELY discriminated against in MOST pacific island communities…”

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post

Going on the treatment of that Rugby Sevens...person who was born female but now, apparently, identifies as a male, they are still as moribund in a lot of their thinking as their Stone Age culture suggests.
                wow… can you clarify who “they” are? Because you sound very self righteous.

Comment

Originally posted by Chookies74 View Post

Excellent summation. I'd add Verrills, Victor and Keary returning has enabled the pieces of the puzzle to slide back into place. Attitude was always there.
                  Pity we lost Billy and Sitili as Momo is our very very weak link. He could be our BJ 2019 GF moment, fingers crossed it doesn't happen.
                  Agree but I think Momo has improved a decent amount. His 1 on 1 tackling game especially, in the last two/three games he’s made some crucial ones. Hopefully this continues.

On another note, where will Sitili fit in next season? Could he potentially be squeezed out of the first grade side?
                  EASTS TO WIN!

Comment

Nice response.

For sure poor attitude affected us in our losses to Saints, Knights and Dogs. But I don’t think in was about attitude in the recent string of 4 losses in a row. We could have won both the games against Storm and Penrith. Defensive laps, and poor ball control cost us in these games.

Cows and Broncos are only above us on the table because we have been poor and lost too many games we were expected to win. I don’t believe for a second that they are quality sides who are better than us. We did get 8 competition points against these sides this year despite what could only be considered as a mediocre season from us thus far.
                    Don't you consider that poor attitude, defensive lapses and poor ball control go hand in hand? I think the latter two only improve after an improvement in attitude - and that may also come after the confidence boost of a few wins. To break our 4 game losing streak, imo the attitude needed to change first. Sure, we also got some players back from injury to coincide with that and if that made others in the team more confident, then I'd see that as an attitude change.

My original comment was that I considered that our overall team attitude had changed and was wondering if that coincided with the arrival of Bradley Stubbs.

I appreciate your opinion of the Cows and Broncos and on paper would have to concur but I still think that, to this point, both of those teams have had better seasons than us overall.

Cheers and Go the Roosters!

Comment

Originally posted by QWERTY View Post

Agree but I think Momo has improved a decent amount. His 1 on 1 tackling game especially, in the last two/three games he’s made some crucial ones. Hopefully this continues.

On another note, where will Sitili fit in next season? Could he potentially be squeezed out of the first grade side?
                      Hope Momo continues to improve that defence. It will be exploited in the finals if not. Agree he has improved lately.

I don't think we will ever be lucky enough with injuries that Sitilli will miss out. There's always someone injured or suspended in our pack and or on the bench. Can't say i remember the last time we didn't have an injury/suspension or two.

I think Sitilli was our best forward when we were struggling. He was the only one threatening the line. His injury for him came at a really unlucky time. Admittedly he is another who needs to stick more tackles.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lip View Post

Hope Momo continues to improve that defence. It will be exploited in the finals if not. Agree he has improved lately.

I don't think we will ever be lucky enough with injuries that Sitilli will miss out. There's always someone injured or suspended in our pack and or on the bench. Can't say i remember the last time we didn't have an injury/suspension or two.

I think Sitilli was our best forward when we were struggling. He was the only one threatening the line. His injury for him came at a really unlucky time. Admittedly he is another who needs to stick more tackles.
                        momo's been great recently and no reason he won't keep on being great like he was last year

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

momo's been great recently and no reason he won't keep on being great like he was last year
                          He's been solid - greats a stretch - hope he does become great. Couple of simple errors last week / didn't notice any in defence though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vee08 View Post

wow… can you clarify who “they” are? Because you sound very self righteous.
                            Anyone fool enough to believe in a supreme being, really. Time magazine once asked "is God dead?" I would ask how could something that doesn't exist be dead.

But that's just my opinion. Everyone is free to worship whatever deity they choose. As long as that worship doesn't have an deleterious effect on anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post
                              Not sure where to post this one but I guess it relates to Steggles donating every time we score a try against the opposition...passed the 4.8 million dollar mark now for childrens' charities...take that you bitter and twisted people who say that Easts have no heart and soul.....at least ALL these funds get donated and not partially like those who shall not be named...

Wait until they hit the five million dollar mark! What a blessing this turned out to be, all because Mini got chatting at the races to the CEO of Steggles all those years ago..he was so impressed, he rang the club..look at the domino effect working for the good of others...

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChUBnP3u..._web_copy_link
                              Another reason why i love this club. Do good stuff because we care and not for the ego
                              1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post

Another reason why i love this club. Do good stuff because we care and not for the ego
                                It was posted on Linkedin too and people were posting messages saying they'll buy more Steggles products now because of this..again, this is what I mean by good karma..all Mini did was have a chat to John Camilleri at the races and sign something for his son..this was after Samsung had chosen not to renew the major sponsorship..I still have the Steggles apron they gave us at a function for us girls when we used to have our own membership group..look at the tremendous effect that has taken place now because of that chance meeting at the races...and all the children it has helped...being kind reaps all sorts of rewards...
                                "Those who care about you can hear you, even when you are quiet" - Steve Maraboli

Comment

Working...
                                X