(Poll) Best Roosters Prop of the modern NRL era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jwh by a mile

morley and j cayless were both criminally underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
      The poll is about he modern era........ which in itself indicates that there is NO QUESTION about the best prop of ANY ERA.

JWH wins it by the length of the straight.

But seriously....

There are some ridiculous comments here.

JWH is very good, probably the equal of Morley.

Not as skillful as Salvatori, and NOT IN THE SAME STREET AS ARTIE.

Beetson is a legend, the BEST Prop from any team in any era.

I first saw him in 1966 when he just about beat a ferocious pommy pack single handed.

15 years later he captained Queensland to a win in the first Origin game

They played EIGHTY MINUTES back then.

He was the strongest, the most skillful and probably the quickest prop in the game for 14 years.

He created more tries in one season that Jared will do in his entire career.

I love Jared, he's the best prop of the modern NRL era, no question...... but he is no Beetson.
      Perfectly said Street Kid.

Comment

The poll is about he modern era........ which in itself indicates that there is NO QUESTION about the best prop of ANY ERA.

But seriously....

I first saw him in 1966 when he just about beat a ferocious pommy pack single handed.

He was the strongest, the most skillful and probably the quickest prop in the game for 14 years.

I love Jared, he's the best prop of the modern NRL era, no question...... but he is no Beetson.
        Thanks for your opinion.

As I’ve only been following the chooks since the mid 90’s I can only compare from then so it’s nice to hear the thoughts from others who seen the earlier players play.

I personally think it’s too hard to compare players from different eras.

In my time JWH is #1 by a long way.
        I would have loved to see Artie play. My late grandfather who was born and bred in Balmain and loved the tigers still rated Artie as one of the greatest players he had ever seen

Comment

How would this poll look if it was opened up to best Roosters Forwards of the modern era? Boyd up there but not the length of career of JWH. Fitzy? Ricketson? Maubs?
          I support two NRL teams, the Roosters and whoevers playing Souths

Comment

Remember Jared's first season? There was a game against Manly (his former club) at the SFS when we went completely beserk. High shots galore, human missile. I'd never seen anything like it.

Comment

But seriously....

For me Salvatori was not even close. I would go so far as to call him a slightly better than average plonker. Beetson never won the premierships or played the amount of matches that JWH has for the Roosters. I have to admit I was only a small child when Beetson was playing so could be biased.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Voodoo Man View Post

For me Salvatori was not even close. I would go so far as to call him a slightly better than average plonker. Beetson never won the premierships or played the amount of matches that JWH has for the Roosters. I have to admit I was only a small child when Beetson was playing so could be biased.
                Artie broke our premiership drought of nearly 30 years from the mid 40s and was a freak of an athlete for his size, could ball play before the line and the greatest offloader in the history of the game whilst being a tough defender and an inspirational leader plus he could seriously knuckle which was a must back then.
                Given the benefits of modern day sports science, training and diet he would still dominate in today's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

Artie broke our premiership drought of nearly 30 years from the mid 40s and was a freak of an athlete for his size, could ball play before the line and the greatest offloader in the history of the game whilst being a tough defender and an inspirational leader plus he could seriously knuckle which was a must back then.
                  Given the benefits of modern day sports science, training and diet he would still dominate in today's game.
                  I don't question his greatness or skill and agree with what you say. But personally I still rated JWH higher as a triple premiership winner. Same as Toups, there has been more skillful and flashier wingers but nobody can match his achievements as a Rooster. Also, I'm probably too young to have a really valid opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

I agree with you entirely. Artie was a machine, but wasn't he actually playing second row in '74 & '75?

From the Roosters website ...

1974 Grand Final Line Up:
                    1. Russell Fairfax
                    2. Jim Porter
                    3. John Brass
                    4. Mark Harris
                    5. Bill Mullins
                    6. John Peard
                    7. Johnny Mayes
                    8. Ron Coote
                    9. Barry Reilly
                    11. Arthur Beetson (c)
                    11. Ken Jones
                    12. Elwyn Walters
                    10. Ian Mackay

1975 Grand Final Line Up:
                    1. Ian Schubert
                    2. Bruce Pickett
                    3. John Brass
                    4. John Rheinberger
                    5. Bill Mullins
                    6. John Peard
                    7. Johnny Mayes
                    8. Kevin Stevens
                    9. Ron Coote
                    10. Arthur Beetson (c)
                    11. Grant Hedger
                    12. Elwyn Walters
                    13. Ian Mackay

Last edited by Waylander; 09-09-2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

JWH by a long way.

Going back a bit further, Jason Lowrie gave the club unbelievable service in a tough era for the club. Peter Cusack was Mr. Dependable.

Comment

IMO , no brainer . JWH rocks and rules . Not just the best prop for the roosters but of his generation. A true legend and lovely fella off the field . Wish he could play forever

Comment

Has there ever been such as one-sided poll on the chookpen? Much love for JWH

Comment

Originally posted by witty92 View Post
                            How would this poll look if it was opened up to best Roosters Forwards of the modern era? Boyd up there but not the length of career of JWH. Fitzy? Ricketson? Maubs?
                            The five of them in one pack would make any team from any era sh!t themselves. Throw in Morley and Rads FMD

8. Morley
                            9. Friend
                            10. JWH
                            11. Boyd
                            12. Fitzy
                            13. Rads
                            14. Wing
                            15. Ricko
                            16. SST
                            17. Maubs

Comment

JWH is definitely the best prop we've had since Beetson , but as others have said, no one compares to Artie.

Comment

Working...
                              X