Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waerea-Hargreaves last boss of dying breed

From the West Australian:

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson considers Jared Waerea-Hargreaves the last master of a dying craft.

"There's not too many like him," Robinson says.

"It is a dying art.

"He goes overboard sometimes but that's the art of being a great enforcer.

"He knows when to push the limits."

Front-rower Waerea-Hargreaves is on a self-imposed media ban so it was left to his Roosters teammates to wax lyrical about how at 33 - when time says he should be winding down - he is winding up.

Statistics will suggest that Waerea-Hargreaves is having one of his worst seasons in recent memory, with his metres gained well down.

But it's his intangible qualities that will help the Roosters defeat South Sydney in Sunday's NRL elimination final.

"He's probably a bit of a dying breed," back-rower Angus Crichton tells AAP.

"I think there have been players like him in the past but at the moment I don't think there is anyone like him.

"He takes the game head on and I love playing alongside him.

"He sets the tone and gets guys up around him and that aggression is something we love."

In an increasingly sanitised digital world where metres and fantasy points are the barometers by which front-rowers are judged, Waerea-Hargreaves is an analog prop only too happy to fight fire with fire.

It's in complete contradiction to his polite off-field persona.

But never was it more evident than when the Roosters met old foes Melbourne back in round 24.

When Storm brute Nelson Asofa-Solomona was overstepping the mark it was Waerea-Hargreaves who cut him down to size.

He earned a sin-binning for his troubles but it had a galvanising effect on his teammates.

"For 250-plus games he has put his body on the line," says front-row partner Matt Lodge.

"That makes the next person want to do it and that makes me want to do it.

"I think we are breeding them (enforcers) out of society as well as footy.

"Kids coming through these days are pretty nice and they need a cuddle.

"I hope he's not the last of a dying breed."

Waerea-Hargreaves was restricted to just 13 minutes against Souths in round 25 after he picked up a hamstring complaint.

In other circumstances he might have been risked but such is his importance to Robinson he was kept on ice in the knowledge that bigger tasks were ahead.

He still prowled the sidelines waiting to go back on for the rest of the game and shapes as a difference-maker come Sunday afternoon at Allianz Stadium.

"I don't know how he's still going but I have so much respect for him," Crichton said.

"People are surprised at how respectful and humble he is off the pitch but when he walks on there he can flick that switch."

Amen

Thanks for sharing, great read, I met big JWH back in 14 (after we spanked Wigan in the WCC) and walked away super impressed by how respectful & giving he was with his time for the fans. Great player, better fella.

Comment

Best prop we have ever had at our club. Farian will shed a tear when he hangs up his boots.
      Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by Qld Chook View Post
        Thanks for sharing, great read, I met big JWH back in 14 (after we spanked Wigan in the WCC) and walked away super impressed by how respectful & giving he was with his time for the fans. Great player, better fella.
        I only met hime once at Waverley Bowlo..what a sweet man..our IT guy from work saw him in traffic once and gave him a big wave..being a Kiwi and Warriors fan he just was really surprised at how friendly he was too..very open to waving back to a fellow countryman stuck in the same traffic jam..I love New Zealanders...
        "Those who care about you can hear you, even when you are quiet" - Steve Maraboli

Comment

It's no coincidence that Matt Lodge has found his style and is playing by far the best footy of his career alongside JWH.

That is the impact that JWH has on his teammates. Haas might have the stats; but he doesn't have the intangibles nor is he a leader of men like Jared.

I hope so much that he ends up as a member of the Roosters 300 games club and retires as the no.1 legend to play for the RWB.

Comment

his last couple of years have been as good as any he's had. impossible to replace

Comment

i love jwh, there is a feature on matt lodge and hargreaves on nrl.com

as mickie would say he is a big , tough , grubby bully. he pushes the rules to the umptenth inch , despite what some on here see, say and think .

i love him , best prop of the modern era .

dont retire anytime soon .

Comment

And to think it was generally said that if Lardtrell had of re-signed with us instead of Vermanising, JWH's name was being mentioned as a likely salary cap casualty to keep Mitchell. Sooo glad that wasn't the case !

Comment

I hope he plays for another couple of years after this and puts himself deep into the 300 club.

If he can do this he may put himself above Artie if we can jag a premiership this year or next.

Comment

We have had some great players come and go, retirements of club legends club favourites from Fittler to Morley to Ricky Fitzy, Mini to Maloney to RTS to Cronk to BMOZ Cords, Jake, SBW Liu now SST and Verrills, but we we carried on still competitive.

Every time that retirement word comes up for JWH I just don’t want to believe it, how many games did we already have in the bag before a ball was even kicked? That back to back era we had teams beaten the week before the game and it’s because of guys like Jared the enforcer.
                    I know James is our captain and no disrespect to him he has put his body on the line for the RWB for a number of seasons now, but Jared is the real leader James and Luke are the generals but Jared is the tip of the ****ing spear, he would die for this club and anyone beside him giving their all for our great club, the day he goes will truly be the end of a golden era of Roosters history.

Jared has forged that path to our premierships sometimes single handedly destroying teams physically and psychologically he’s an ornament, he’s jersey should be retired when goes also (ok maybe not that far but I’m trying to put it into perspective).

Every fibre in his body is Easts DNA, make no mistake he leads this team and everyone follows suit. Thank you Jared for all you have done so much man love for you big fella keep going hard.b
                    Last edited by Teddy; 09-09-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

JWH has always been my favourite player and it will certainly be a sad day when he retires, but for now I am going to absorb every last minute he plays for us, thankyou Jared.

Comment

One of our best ever recruits...an Easts legend now.

Leading us to another tilt at the main prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                          And to think it was generally said that if Lardtrell had of re-signed with us instead of Vermanising, JWH's name was being mentioned as a likely salary cap casualty to keep Mitchell. Sooo glad that wasn't the case !
                          Well that was top-shelf-crazy thinking.
                          You never get rid of your best prop under any circumstances...if you're wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post
                            From the West Australian:

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson considers Jared Waerea-Hargreaves the last master of a dying craft.

"There's not too many like him," Robinson says.

"It is a dying art.

"He goes overboard sometimes but that's the art of being a great enforcer.

"He knows when to push the limits."

Front-rower Waerea-Hargreaves is on a self-imposed media ban so it was left to his Roosters teammates to wax lyrical about how at 33 - when time says he should be winding down - he is winding up.

Statistics will suggest that Waerea-Hargreaves is having one of his worst seasons in recent memory, with his metres gained well down.

But it's his intangible qualities that will help the Roosters defeat South Sydney in Sunday's NRL elimination final.

"He's probably a bit of a dying breed," back-rower Angus Crichton tells AAP.

"I think there have been players like him in the past but at the moment I don't think there is anyone like him.

"He takes the game head on and I love playing alongside him.

"He sets the tone and gets guys up around him and that aggression is something we love."

In an increasingly sanitised digital world where metres and fantasy points are the barometers by which front-rowers are judged, Waerea-Hargreaves is an analog prop only too happy to fight fire with fire.

It's in complete contradiction to his polite off-field persona.

But never was it more evident than when the Roosters met old foes Melbourne back in round 24.

When Storm brute Nelson Asofa-Solomona was overstepping the mark it was Waerea-Hargreaves who cut him down to size.

He earned a sin-binning for his troubles but it had a galvanising effect on his teammates.

"For 250-plus games he has put his body on the line," says front-row partner Matt Lodge.

"That makes the next person want to do it and that makes me want to do it.

"I think we are breeding them (enforcers) out of society as well as footy.

"Kids coming through these days are pretty nice and they need a cuddle.

"I hope he's not the last of a dying breed."

Waerea-Hargreaves was restricted to just 13 minutes against Souths in round 25 after he picked up a hamstring complaint.

In other circumstances he might have been risked but such is his importance to Robinson he was kept on ice in the knowledge that bigger tasks were ahead.

He still prowled the sidelines waiting to go back on for the rest of the game and shapes as a difference-maker come Sunday afternoon at Allianz Stadium.

"I don't know how he's still going but I have so much respect for him," Crichton said.

"People are surprised at how respectful and humble he is off the pitch but when he walks on there he can flick that switch."

Amen
                            Had a white bull terrier once (female) ...soft and gentle off the backyard field...but when the game started she flicked the switch...and would not give you possession of the ball/rag doll/rope toy etc under any circumstances.
                            No way you could make her.
                            You could tackle her, lift her off the ground and swing her around, she was determined to win.

Comment

On Sunday we need controlled aggression from Jared...we cannot afford to have anyone binned or sent off.

Comment

Working...
                              X