Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egan Butcher: ‘Smart thing to do’: Why Souths junior made the switch to bitter rivals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egan Butcher: ‘Smart thing to do’: Why Souths junior made the switch to bitter rivals

From News.com.au:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sm...9b588bccdae13d

The Rabbitohs were furious when the Roosters poached Egan Butcher from right under their nose, and it’s easy to see why.

He’s the Malabar local whose defection to the Roosters sparked an off-field war, and Egan Butcher is now ready to knock out the Rabbitohs on the biggest stage of all.

The 22-year-old has slowly gone about his business in first grade since he made his debut last season, but there will be nothing quiet when he and brother Nat face the Bunnies at a packed Allianz Stadium on Sunday.

Egan played for the South Eastern Seagulls in the South Sydney District Junior Rugby League competition and played a couple of seasons in the Harold Matthews competition for the Rabbitohs.

His move to the local rivals caused a storm, with Souths furious that the Roosters poached several of their most promising youngsters.

It was a bitter blow that sparked major change in the respective junior leagues, but it could have been so different had elder brother Nat not captained the Roosters to Holden Cup success in 2016.

Egan and Nat Butcher were on the radar 10 years ago.

“When Nat first went over to the Roosters, I was still at Souths,” Egan told the NCA NewsWire.

“I don’t know the exact timeline, but I think I had one more year at Souths. I wasn’t contracted there and that’s when I ended up joining the Roosters.

“I played my two years of Harold Matts at Souths but then moved to the Roosters where I played two years of SG Ball.

“I was actually a Bulldogs fan growing up. I don’t know why but I think Willie Mason with the big afro appealed to me when I was younger.

“I went for them all the way until I grew up going for certain teams, but then I obviously changed when I started playing for the Roosters.

“The decision was all up to me. With Nat already over there, it just seemed like the smart thing to do. I haven’t regretted my decision at all. I love this club, I love my teammates and I want to win a premiership with this club.”

Keeping Egan shouldn’t have been too hard a sell for the Rabbitohs given his dad, Blake, played 23 games for them.

“He didn’t encourage me towards anything,” Egan said.

“It was always going to be my decision, but he liked the fact that Nat was here and I think he enjoyed seeing us both at the same club.”

Egan has long been touted as one of the best young prospects coming through and he’s starting to live up to the hype with a number of strong performance off the bench this year.

He’s had some nice moments but none will top his try from last week when he steamrolled through two defenders and then overpowered Latrell Mitchell to score.

Egan Butcher says this try was the best moment of his young career. Picture; Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

“It was pretty special to do at the new stadium. It was the cherry on top of an awesome night. It was the best moment of my career so far,” he said.

“It took me a little while to get here. I feel like I’ve been watching some of these boys for a while now – including some of the ones that have recently retired – and I’ve been itching at the opportunity to be in the full-time squad.

“I feel like I played not too badly last year, but I want to take it up a step now.”

While natural talent will take him far, Egan says the retired trio of Boyd Cordner, Jake Friend and Mitch Aubusson have helped him greatly this year.

“They’ve got so much to share when it comes to experiences in life and knowledge of the game. I love seeing them because they’re such good mentors,” he said.

“Boyd gives me pointers all the time even right before we run out for a game. It’s never really too much about the footy but more about the mentality of what it takes to go after in a game and stuff like that. His words mean a lot to me.”

Love Egan. He just looks better & better with each game this year. I'm really looking forward to seeing how far his development goes. Future rep player for sure.

I'm a big fan of both the Butchers but Egan has really started to show why he is so highly rated.

Comment

He's a beauty and really come into his own this year.
      That crash play through the first line and going through Latrell was special and the inside ball to send Teddy up the middle showcased his ball skills.
      He backs it up with tough defence, we got another good one on our hands and I loved reading the Cords influence on him.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what Robbo does with Sitili next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post
          He's a beauty and really come into his own this year.
          That crash play through the first line and going through Latrell was special and the inside ball to send Teddy up the middle showcased his ball skills.
          He backs it up with tough defence, we got another good one on our hands and I loved reading the Cords influence on him.
          I just love him and every week, even more!

I've been having a poached egg every day this week in honour of how we recruit..
          "Those who care about you can hear you, even when you are quiet" - Steve Maraboli

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post
            It will be interesting to see what Robbo does with Sitili next year.
            I hate to say it, but our winning streak has coincided with Sitili's injury. Defensively, it may have been a blessing.

But there'll be injuries and he'll be good cover in the backrow.

Comment

I never realised Blake was their Dad. I remember him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post

I hate to say it, but our winning streak has coincided with Sitili's injury. Defensively, it may have been a blessing.

I agree that Sitili not up to it defensively.

Sitili would be earning too much money to be purely a depth signing. I am half expecting us to release him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post

Unfortunate but probably correct.

Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

So....... uncontracted junior goes to the chooks. Shock horror!

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post

I agree that Sitili not up to it defensively.

Sitili would be earning too much money to be purely a depth signing. I am half expecting us to release him.
                      I think you might be right.

Comment

Imagine if the had Keary, Crichton, NButch, EButch and Suaalii in their team.

Rusty must be saying good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                          So....... uncontracted junior goes to the chooks. Shock horror!

Both were never offered a contract. Souths expect their juniors to play for nothing. Hill, Dymock, Serdaris, Roberts, etc.. The list goes on.
                          Sickie Lame .... King of Bestiality

Comment

Egan is fast becoming my favourite and will be after the big dog retires which I hope is not for a few years yet, 300 for JWH.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                              Unfortunate but probably correct.
                              No way - Sitili played 61 minutes of the Dragons game the start of the winning run

More to do with Robbo finally conceding Keary at Half and Walker 5/8 wasn't working and finally making the switch. Also playing Watson as a running forward instead of a second dummy half improved the teams dynamics

They also had to pull their fingers out and start winning games or miss the 8
                              Last edited by King Salvo; 09-09-2022, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X