X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBA Negotiations Stalling

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news...b299db5a58ea58

I hope this link works.

So some insight into what the issues actually are about finalizing the collective bargaining agreement as regards to the new salary cap.

What do people think? Was it more arrogance shown by Vlandys in making the new cap amount public apparently 5 minutes after telling the clubs?

Surgeries for past players that have to have them in the space of 12 months (e.g A.Fafita?)

Private health bonuses and more money as far as tertiary education for the youngsters?

Should I work for Newscorp?

Will it push back the season launch?

Who cares?

Discuss.

Depending if the CBA is registered under a State or Federal jurisdiction (Fair Work) the avenues open for either party when no agreement is reached is conciliation or arbitration.

Overseas examples are MLB , NFL and NHL labour disputes over their CBA's where players went on strike - The Disputes were between the Franchise Owners and Players.

They seem to have a lot of issues not finalised and resolved - post-retirement injury funds, private health insurance , percentage share in revenue. tertiary education and improving lower tier player wages and conditions.

Of course this also affects the NRLW players as well whose state based comps start in Early February - They are not able to negotiate and sign any contracts for the expanded 10 Team NRLW comp until this is resolved - having to hold down full time jobs outside of football they need to be able to finalise who they will be playing with to fit their football commitments in around their jobs and other responsibilities.

Maybe a separate NRLW CBA is more appropriate

Not sure if it will result in strike action as well people will bang on about players being greedy and what not but of course not every player is on such payments. -What damage will that do to the game as well ?

The 1994/95 MLB players strike almost killed the Great game of Baseball - Strike began on August 12 1994 - The rest of the season was cancelled and no post season or World Series played since 1904.

It went into 1995- Franchise owners even signed replacement players for spring training 1995 and the 1995 season proper.

Replacement players were guaranteed US$5,000 for reporting to spring training and another $5,000 if they made the Opening Day roster. Selig (Acting MLB Commissioner ) declared that, "We are committed to playing the 1995 season and will do so with the best players willing to play."

The Strike was Suspended on April 2 1995 - Even the US Federal Government and President Clinton got involved in negotiating an end to the strike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E...aseball_strike

Last edited by King Salvo; 01-18-2023, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stringaz View Post
      https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news...b299db5a58ea58

I hope this link works.

So some insight into what the issues actually are about finalizing the collective bargaining agreement as regards to the new salary cap.

What do people think? Was it more arrogance shown by Vlandys in making the new cap amount public apparently 5 minutes after telling the clubs?

Surgeries for past players that have to have them in the space of 12 months (e.g A.Fafita?)

Private health bonuses and more money as far as tertiary education for the youngsters?

Should I work for Newscorp?

Will it push back the season launch?

Who cares?

Discuss.
      everyone involved

V’landys too aggressive in his approach and the players being greedy

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster36 View Post

everyone involved

V’landys too aggressive in his approach and the players being greedy
        Yea, long gone are they days players used to lay bricks all day then front for training.

Comment

The way the NRL has handled this is a joke. The RLPA has been ready to negotiate since 2021, the NRL has delayed to try and force their hand, they're "negotiating" in bad faith to make the players look bad and make people like Rooster36 think they're being greedy.

The reality is, the players are the ones producing all the capital that the NRL has, they deserve to keep the same cut of the profit that they have been getting, and they deserve to have injuries sustained during work taken care of. They also deserve help transitioning into normal life after playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
            The way the NRL has handled this is a joke. The RLPA has been ready to negotiate since 2021, the NRL has delayed to try and force their hand, they're "negotiating" in bad faith to make the players look bad and make people like Rooster36 think they're being greedy.

The reality is, the players are the ones producing all the capital that the NRL has, they deserve to keep the same cut of the profit that they have been getting, and they deserve to have injuries sustained during work taken care of. They also deserve help transitioning into normal life after playing.
            Deserve .Rubbish .They are employees .I couldn't badi for my bosses books and neither should they .They are well paid and well taken care of compared to 98% of the population . There has just been a large raise from the salary cap and because the RLPa didn't get to anouce it they spit the dummy .

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post

Deserve .Rubbish .They are employees .I couldn't badi for my bosses books and neither should they .They are well paid and well taken care of compared to 98% of the population . There has just been a large raise from the salary cap and because the RLPa didn't get to anouce it they spit the dummy .
              Maybe try reading something from the RLPA instead of spitting the dummy based on a couple of headlines put out by Vlandys mates

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                Depending if the CBA is registered under a State or Federal jurisdiction (Fair Work) the avenues open for either party when no agreement is reached is conciliation or arbitration.

Overseas examples are MLB , NFL and NHL labour disputes over their CBA's where players went on strike - The Disputes were between the Franchise Owners and Players.

They seem to have a lot of issues not finalised and resolved - post-retirement injury funds, private health insurance , percentage share in revenue. tertiary education and improving lower tier player wages and conditions.

Of course this also affects the NRLW players as well whose state based comps start in Early February - They are not able to negotiate and sign any contracts for the expanded 10 Team NRLW comp until this is resolved - having to hold down full time jobs outside of football they need to be able to finalise who they will be playing with to fit their football commitments in around their jobs and other responsibilities.

Maybe a separate NRLW CBA is more appropriate

Not sure if it will result in strike action as well people will bang on about players being greedy and what not but of course not every player is on such payments. -What damage will that do to the game as well ?

The 1994/95 MLB players strike almost killed the Great game of Baseball - Strike began on August 12 1994 - The rest of the season was cancelled and no post season or World Series played since 1904.

It went into 1995- Franchise owners even signed replacement players for spring training 1995 and the 1995 season proper.

Replacement players were guaranteed US$5,000 for reporting to spring training and another $5,000 if they made the Opening Day roster. Selig (Acting MLB Commissioner ) declared that, "We are committed to playing the 1995 season and will do so with the best players willing to play."

The Strike was Suspended on April 2 1995 - Even the US Federal Government and President Clinton got involved in negotiating an end to the strike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E...aseball_strike

What about the ballet King, what’s happening with their pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post

Spot on, Manage and pay your own expenses like the rest of us, you chose your career, don't like it, piss off and do something else.

Minor sport on the world stage, be thankful of you already receive.

Thats my take on this matter, sorry if insensitive to any offended.

Comment

If the NRL can afford to introduce what the players are wanting like funds for past players medicals, funds for current players medicals when they retire & more funds for the women’s game then they should, I’m sure that kind of stuff goes on in the NFL & the top soccer leagues. It’s a brutal game & all of us who love it should realize that & support what the players are trying to implement. I know a lot of them get good coin compared to the average Joe but the average Joe doesn’t physically punish there bodies like the men & women who play the game at the highest level do.

Comment

Maybe try reading something from the RLPA instead of spitting the dummy based on a couple of headlines put out by Vlandys mates
                      Thanks goose
                      Last edited by Rooster1908; 01-19-2023, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks Comrade, do you know paddo colt??

Remember when they were whinging and whining during Covid…. Meanwhile jobs and homes were being lost….how about they try becoming more available to the media and fans instead of a little 2 minute interview every week where most just trot out a few cliches.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                          If the NRL can afford to introduce what the players are wanting like funds for past players medicals, funds for current players medicals when they retire & more funds for the women’s game then they should, I’m sure that kind of stuff goes on in the NFL & the top soccer leagues. It’s a brutal game & all of us who love it should realize that & support what the players are trying to implement. I know a lot of them get good coin compared to the average Joe but the average Joe doesn’t physically punish there bodies like the men & women who play the game at the highest level do.
                          The example with fafita is that he needs 8 to 9 surgies that would be better spaced over 3years rather than the allotted 12months they are putting forward.

Makes sense but his case would be an extreme one needing so many operations.

Comment

Personally I like the idea of looking after ex-players but wouldn't they have medical insurance covering such circumstances? There must be a cost-effective way of helping them. If it is possible, I would support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                              What about the ballet King, what’s happening with their pay.
                              A Top Ballet dancer could earn 120k plus per year - Most ballet dancers' salaries fall between $14,500 and $36,500- obviously supplement this by having their own dance schools etc

Takes between 8 to 10 years to become a top Ballet Dancer

They certainly undergo a lot of surgery after they finish - feet and back and hip and knee replacements etc

Having to stand on your toes like that and spinning (Pic on the Right) etc takes some practice

Comment

Working...
                              X