Frustrated that we constantly watch a patched up team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated that we constantly watch a patched up team

Now it could be bad luck but with Lodges current injury on the back of all the others + constant HIA it will be the fourth straight year we have a disjointed season. I understand this is part of professional sport but I’m frustrated that we never seem to have a full strength team on the park.
    Not sure if there is anyone to blame but after 4 seasons I’ve had enough

Other clubs go through it too just like any work place. Not just the Roosters and not just in rugby league. That's life unfortunately and it's not always smooth sailing.
    "Those who care about you can hear you, even when you are quiet" - Steve Maraboli

Comment

i understand that, but this is the fourth straight season we have huge injury problems . That is not ok for a workplace or a rugby team

Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post
      Other clubs go through it too just like any work place. Not just the Roosters and not just in rugby league. That's life unfortunately and it's not always smooth sailing.

Comment

So.... what's the answer?

Don't train and dont play trial matches before the season starts?

Comment

It is frustrating that we can't seem to be fit, healthy & playing half decent footy come Rd 1

The more serious ones like leg injuries can't really be helped but the head knock one's could come down to bad technique maybe but how can that be possible with a professional NRL club.

But it is a 30 man squad & we should have enough decent cover there. Yesterday's game & the Manly trial proves we are underdone & a rabble which comes down to preparation.

Comment

I think there’s a few parts to this.

1) No one is speaking about the World Cup but there will be significant impacts to the sides who contributed a lot of players to the World Cup in the opening month or two of the season, this means niggling injuries and rust. Most of these players didn’t return until mid-January. I remember coming off the 2013 World Cup where we had more players than any other NRL club and we went 2 wins, 4 losses in our first 6 games including a 28-8 loss to Souths in Round 1 before going on to win the minor-premiership. There should be no surprise that the Panthers who contributed the most World Cup players have gotten off to a slow start and look uninspiring in attack.

2) There is something to be said for all the head knocks that we get as a team, I haven’t seen any data on it but purely looking at who the players are that suffer from the head knocks it’s our most aggressive defenders. I’ve seen some criticism about lack of effort, not being mentally ready for the game etc. but I think it’s the opposite issue. I think we are overly aggressive and lack the emotional control around when to rush an attacking player.

3) The positive is outside of Watson none of the injuries are long term so there is still plenty of time to get this team fit and firing for the year. I’m not too concerned yet, admittedly the next few weeks will be tough with numbers available.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
              I think there’s a few parts to this.

1) No one is speaking about the World Cup but there will be significant impacts to the sides who contributed a lot of players to the World Cup in the opening month or two of the season, this means niggling injuries and rust. Most of these players didn’t return until mid-January. I remember coming off the 2013 World Cup where we had more players than any other NRL club and we went 2 wins, 4 losses in our first 6 games including a 28-8 loss to Souths in Round 1 before going on to win the minor-premiership. There should be no surprise that the Panthers who contributed the most World Cup players have gotten off to a slow start and look uninspiring in attack.

2) There is something to be said for all the head knocks that we get as a team, I haven’t seen any data on it but purely looking at who the players are that suffer from the head knocks it’s our most aggressive defenders. I’ve seen some criticism about lack of effort, not being mentally ready for the game etc. but I think it’s the opposite issue. I think we are overly aggressive and lack the emotional control around when to rush an attacking player.

3) The positive is outside of Watson none of the injuries are long term so there is still plenty of time to get this team fit and firing for the year. I’m not too concerned yet, admittedly the next few weeks will be tough with numbers available.
              Exactly. It’s no coincidence Penrith look like rubbish. Their entire squad pretty much went deep into the World Cup and probs didn’t even train till mid to late January.

us and a few others are in a similar boat.

Comment

It’s more tolerable for the Panthers cause they have had 3 great seasons with basically no injuries. Us on the other hand can’t ever seem to have a good run. I’ve had a gutful.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterBooster View Post
                  i understand that, but this is the fourth straight season we have huge injury problems . That is not ok for a workplace or a rugby team

I understand completely.

I really don't know how the team got through that 'next man up' period either and these blasted concussions are awful to witness. Rads looked very unsteady yesterday. Throw in the other major injuries like Joey and JWH, I do understand where you are coming from.

Just hang in there RoosterBooster..that's all we can do.
                  "Those who care about you can hear you, even when you are quiet" - Steve Maraboli

Comment

Some great points above...re: World Cup impact....maybe this is the time to build into the season? It sux, because I want to see great footy week to week and really don't feel I can commit until later in the year. I actually stopped buying season tix. I loved the 2003/4 seasons and also 2019....but many others have been up and down or only peaked in the second half.
                    On injuires.....I was listening to Cam Smith this morning........played like 400 games or close to 500 if you include reps....all in the middle of the field....and was never injured...never concussed.
                    Amazing really.
                    I am a little concnered that some of the guys that really stood up in 2021 during that injury crisis havent really gone on to cement a place.
                    We seem to lack power and penetration in many positions compared to other teams.
                    It's a long season, lets see what happens!

Comment

Maybe learn to tackle properly in the new era of HIAs!!
                      Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                        The only thing that needs to be said is Radley has complied and adjusted his technique to reduce the possibility of an NRL lawsuit. It was never about player safety.

Comment

It is frustrating, of course other teams go through it as well but I can't think of any that have had even close to the same injury issues we've had. For example Penrith, Souths, Storm might lose a player or two for a long period of time each year but most of them do seem to play patches or even the majority of the season with their full side whilst we never seem to really do so.

For us we'll get Manu and JWH back within the next week or two but now Lodge has a question mark over him and I guess Radley does also...not good

Comment

Part and parcel of the game mate But yeah we ain’t had much luck the last few years No choice but to grin and bear it and do the best we can

The older I get the more I realise and as much as I love winning It is only footy mate it isn’t the be all and end all in life
                            When you trust your television
                            what you get is what you got
                            Cause when they own the information
                            they can bend it all they want

John Mayer

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterfarian View Post
                              Maybe learn to tackle properly in the new era of HIAs!!
                              Correct, they should have been coached in this , it's a collision sport yes, but surely there are tackling techniques and team tactics which reduce the risk of head knocks.
                              Also,
                              we should have COVER in our squad to reduce the impact of injuries.
                              The MONEY BALL theory..... don't invest more than 50% of your cap space in 20% of your squad, it's a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                              X