No announcement yet.

Terrell May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May is coming on nicely. Only 23 years old and only played 12 NRL games, if we can bring him along without too much pressure I have high hopes for him. Having 4 experienced props in JWH, Collins, Lodge and now Brown in the squad will be a big help for him.

Comment

Hoping we can keep him, will want to play with his brother eventually

Comment

Originally posted by stringaz View Post

Turpin v Watson. Your thoughts?

Smith and Turpins service is better than Connors, isn't he best at being a running forward?

We already have that in the cheese, turpin a solid verills like player.

It would mean more time at dummy half for Brandon?
        Turpin is the better hooker.
        Watson is the better player overall.

I like that Watson can do a job in multiple positions.

He is very strong for his size (think he has the heaviest benchpress in the Roosters team from memory) and very quick. Can do a job at Hooker, but also the halves, centre, fullback or at a pinch the second row.

A shame Watson hasn't developed a kicking game. That would make him extremely valuable.

Still, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an NRL utility who is good in that many positions as Connor.
        Last edited by Steakface; 03-18-2023, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I kike him a lot, but I wish he'd break a tackle

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post

I agree turpins a keeper and sorry connor. You can be our reserves captain. Turpins very jake friend like
            Given Connor is a running forward and only played dummy half out of necessity last year I don’t understand these comments.

Watson interchanges with Radley, Turpin with Smith. They’re not competing for the same role.

Comment

Watson won't be the second dummy half though when he returns.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                Watson won't be the second dummy half though when he returns.
                IF he returns.
                1985: 1 try vs Parramatta, 1 try vs Manly, 1 try vs Wests, 2 tries vs Souffs
                1986: 2 tries vs Illawarra, 1 try vs Balmain, 2 tries vs Norths.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Given Connor is a running forward and only played dummy half out of necessity last year I don’t understand these comments.

Watson interchanges with Radley, Turpin with Smith. They’re not competing for the same role.
                  I just don't want to see Connor at DH at all. Would we run with both he and Turpin in the team though?

Comment

Originally posted by stringaz View Post

I just don't want to see Connor at DH at all. Would we run with both he and Turpin in the team though?
                    I don’t see why not? Our 2nd rowers always play 80 minutes so you’re only rotating the 2x props, 1x dummy half and 1x lock.

If Watson plays the same role he did at the back end of last season rotating at lock then Turpin is the dummy half rotation option and you pick two middles. Watson also covers for injuries in the backline from halves, fullback and centre if needed which is important as we don’t have a forward who can adequately cover at centre if we need to reshuffle due to injury in our 1-7.

The only counter argument I would personally have to that would be if you wanted to pick another mobile running forward on the bench instead of dummy half cover with the expectation that Watson is only going to have to cover 10-15mins at dummy half. You could pick a player like Tupouniua or Egan Butcher over Turpin to give you some different options with leg speed in the middle and genuine cover for a 2nd row injury. This is the more attacking option though, Turpin is the safe option if shit hits the fan with some HIA’s and injuries he’s the bloke you want on the field because you know he’s going to cover up a lot of the defensive workload.

Comment

I don’t see why not? Our 2nd rowers always play 80 minutes so you’re only rotating the 2x props, 1x dummy half and 1x lock.

If Watson plays the same role he did at the back end of last season rotating at lock then Turpin is the dummy half rotation option and you pick two middles. Watson also covers for injuries in the backline from halves, fullback and centre if needed which is important as we don’t have a forward who can adequately cover at centre if we need to reshuffle due to injury in our 1-7.

The only counter argument I would personally have to that would be if you wanted to pick another mobile running forward on the bench instead of dummy half cover with the expectation that Watson is only going to have to cover 10-15mins at dummy half. You could pick a player like Tupouniua or Egan Butcher over Turpin to give you some different options with leg speed in the middle and genuine cover for a 2nd row injury. This is the more attacking option though, Turpin is the safe option if shit hits the fan with some HIA’s and injuries he’s the bloke you want on the field because you know he’s going to cover up a lot of the defensive workload.
                      Yea nice.

Injury does play a part in team changes, but I wonder if Robbo thinks about either option according to who the opposition is. I believe the strategy he used on friday worked very well. I suppose if Connor was on the bench we might have won as well.

Comment

Nailed it, Turpin has been terrific for us and is a great defender for his size in the middle of the ruck. Watson with his leg speed is a real threat off the bench in the roaming lock position and can cover the halves at a pinch if any injuries there and along with Egan was really good off the bench in the middle last year.
                        I've said it before but the NRL should be extending the bench because of the HIA rules, it's really hurting teams particularly losing outside backs early in the game.
                        May has been very good he runs hard and straight and when Lodge returns it gives us a solid 4 prop rotation.

Comment

If we are ever full strength it'll be interesting how Robbo plays it

Lodge
                          Cheese
                          Collins
                          Gus
                          N.Butcher
                          Rads

Turpin
                          Watson
                          JWH
                          Sitili/E.Butch/May/Brown/Baker

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster90 View Post
                            If we are ever full strength it'll be interesting how Robbo plays it

Lodge
                            Cheese
                            Collins
                            Gus
                            N.Butcher
                            Rads

Turpin
                            Watson
                            JWH
                            Sitili/E.Butch/May/Brown/Baker
                            A pleasant headache as they say.

Comment

so watson and turpin on the bench. yeh nah. one only and 2 or 3 props
                              1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post

so watson and turpin on the bench. yeh nah. one only and 2 or 3 props
                                3 props on the bench is overkill. There is only 180 minutes to share between the 4 of them.

You want Collins, JWH & Lodge all playing 50+ minutes at a minimum which leaves 30 minutes, this would typically be given to an up and comer like May/EButcher/Baker etc. or potentially Nathan Brown this year at full strength.

I would hate to see Collins, Lodge or JWH lose minutes because we picked a 5th prop on the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X