Nathan Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nathan Brown

G'day everyone ... hope you all had a safe and wonderful break over Easter !

Just wanted to start a casual convo on Nathan Brown ... we are maybe a week or two away from the likes of Angus, Sitili returning to our team which would then probably mean both Butcher brothers move to the bench and come on as middle forwards (especially Egan where he played well last season) so with that in mind, we would have a few players to make up our bench

For example:

14. Hutch
    15. Egan Butcher
    16. Nat Butcher/Sitili (vice versa)
    17. Lodge

18. Turpin

Would Nathan Brown be playing for the reserve grade side or is there an appetite for him to replace one of the above players and get a spot on the bench ?

Please note, this is not factoring in Connor Watson !

Where would he fit ? Does he fit ? Who would he replace ? Do we (the team) need a player like Brown ? (this is a best case scenario ... obviously injury and suspensions throughout the comp will play a factor)

​​​​​​​Thoughts ?

I would be ditching Hutch from that bench, although then the issue of Smith not being able to play 80 comes in. That being said, I feel like Hutch provides next to nothing at dummy half and his role can be covered by just about anyone with the same efficiency. Turpin would be ideal but then one of our big forwards misses out. Nathan Brown actually played a bit of hooker for Parra in 2019-2020 to mixed results when Mahoney was injured or not able to play 80. Wasn't a popular decision by Arthur but still has that flexibility I guess.

I would actually rather see Fletcher Baker and Terrell May on our bench over Brown because they are the future of our pack. Granted though, Brown could be an astute Luke O'Donnell-esque signing for us that does a job this year and runs with plenty of aggression and gets through loads of work. He was an Origin standard forward in his day, which was only 18 months ago. There will be plenty of time for Baker/Brown/May to rotate throughout the year given JWH picks up niggles and Collins will play Origin.

I see Sitili and Egan being middle forward rotation on the bench whilst Nat stays in the 80min edge role with Angus eventually moving back there aswell once he is fully fit.

Last edited by HunchoRooster; 04-12-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Great problem to have. We haven't had this type of problem since 2019.

Brown would have to find his old form to get a spot in the 17. But he is an ex-SOO player so if he does find that form I'd guess he'd jump May initially. After that it would have to be between him, Sitili and EButch if everyone is fully fit. I can't see Robbo going with four forwards so Hutch will more than likely have a spot on the bench. But I feel Sitili and EButch will always have the jump on Brown in Robbo's eyes from a future point of view.

Let's hope we get to have this selection headache for the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflictor View Post
        Great problem to have. We haven't had this type of problem since 2019.

Brown would have to find his old form to get a spot in the 17. But he is an ex-SOO player so if he does find that form I'd guess he'd jump May initially. After that it would have to be between him, Sitili and EButch if everyone is fully fit. I can't see Robbo going with four forwards so Hutch will more than likely have a spot on the bench. But I feel Sitili and EButch will always have the jump on Brown in Robbo's eyes from a future point of view.

Let's hope we get to have this selection headache for the rest of the year.
        Possibly a Luke O’Donnell type role

Comment

I'd go for this.........

14. Watson

15. Brown
          16. Sitili
          17. Lodge

18. Turpin
          Last edited by Kelby; 04-12-2023, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Nat butcher is not going to be moved out of the starting line up. Ideally Crichton comes back and takes the other starting second row spot but I’d be patient, he’s been through some shit clearly and is going to be on mood altering medication so let’s see how he goes first. Plus Robbo clearly loves Hutch so I think he’ll be 14 at least until Watson comes back. Personally I’d like to see Brown replace Egan. I also think May is unlucky to miss out, he’s been good. But I think the bench will be Hutch, Brown, Lodge, Egan. I think Sitili will struggle to regain his place in the team

Comment

If Napa is anywhere near his best, he will also come into calculations. Imagine a front row rotation of JWH/Lodge/Collins/Napa.

Assuming all fit for the finals. I predict:
              8) JWH
              10) Lodge
              11) Angus
              12) Sitili

Bench:
              Collins
              Napa or Brown
              Nat Butcher
              Watson

A good problem to have.

Comment

Bench

14. The Hutchinator
                15. Who ever doesn't start out of JWH/Collins/Lodge
                16 and 17 out of Sitili/ E Butcher/Brown/ Baker /May/Whyte

Turpin is here for one year - Invest in Tyler Moriarty and Thomas Deakin - Both are playing well in NSW Cup

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                  I'd for this.........

14. Watson

15. Brown
                  16. Sitili
                  17. Lodge

18. Turpin
                  This to me is the perfect bench but i do feel
                  for Egan Butcher

starting pack to this would be,,,,

8.JWH
                  9.B.Smith
                  10.Collins
                  11.Crighton
                  12.N.Butcher

Comment

I'd for this.........

14. Watson

15. Brown
                    16. Sitili
                    17. Lodge

18. Turpin
                    great bench could go either way with sitilli or egan.. unfortunately I think robbo is all in on hutch

Comment

I'd for this.........

14. Watson

15. Brown
                      16. Sitili
                      17. Lodge

18. Turpin
                      Yes ... this would be epic but let's be real here ... lol Hutch would probably get the 18th man role and I just can't see Egan missing out !

Comment

brown has a pedigree but poor recent form so he's in the mix but needs to earn a spot

Comment

IMO it really depends how well he trains and plays. He's been signed as a bargain reject rather than a marquee player (just like Napa).

I dunno the inner workings of our club but would be willing to bet that before signing them Robbo woulda given them both interviews and done his research on where they're at physically/technically.

Now they have a chance. If Brown and Napa train the house down and show they're here to have a serious shot at playing NRL then our current form would suggest there's enough people who they could replace... particularly after our forwards' showing against the Storm. Out pack got owned and I don't think that Rads, the Butcher brothers, May or Baker are safe (nor is Whyte).

I really just want the best team possible. If these guys magically find their form that warranted Origin selection then there will be a place for them. If they're tire kickers then I don't even want them covering for injuries. It all comes down to whether they wanna play 1st grade.

Comment

Exactly you need a really good 17 that works but throughout the year to make top 4 you need a solid squad

here with props like May, baker and Napa they provide great coverage

I think all positions are set bar a couple but brown, butcher and Napa put pressure on main players

jwh
                            smith
                            collins
                            sitili- or Nat ( remember Sitili was here before injured)
                            rads - I want 2020 pre acl rads. Most fearsome forward in the comp with attach and defence before acl

watson (covers all positions and gives smith and radley 20 min off each so they don’t burn out- and covered backs if they get injured - electric when end of halves when opposition tired) pushed by drew and Turpin
                            Egan / or May/ brown (brown ideal if you want back rower and front rower)
                            Nat / or Sitili - whoever does not start, Nat can also cover back row and front row like Lui did
                            lodge

keep in mind to win a comp you need a perfect 17, great back up to push the 17 which I feel a good logjam for bench spots does

res side
                            May
                            Turpin
                            baker
                            wong
                            whyte
                            lodge

Comment

I’m not sure what the fuss is about Brown personally. I feel I’m about to be fired away at now.

Comment

Working...
                              X