Cronk and Walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cronk and Walker

What's your thoughts on Cronk and his influence on Walker ? It should be a positive but perhaps they are completely different players with a different skill set. Cronk could work a team to a certain position on the field and finish with a pinpoint kick. Like others have mentioned Sammy doesn't seem to be able to do this as yet. It appears if he is playing 'shackled'. Just a thought

Nah, i think sammy believes keary is the senior so hence takes a step back?

Comment

Cronk was a centre who was manufactured into a halfback - very structured. Sammy has always been an instinct player. They are very different and we should not expect Sammy to become Cronk 2.0

Sammy is still young but quite an intelligent young footballer. I see Cleary having more similarities to Cronk. Walker is more of an Alfie Langer half

The issue is that Kez and Sammy aren't combining well atm. Kez isn't that big body 5/8, but as a current Roosters legend we aren't going to (nor should we) let him go. I feel that when Kez does retire we need either a large running 5/8 like Freddy or a half that can run a team around the field the way Cronk or Cam Smith did. IMO that would be the best for the team and Sammy's game
      Last edited by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva; 04-15-2023, 06:22 PM.

Comment

With Keary the Senior player he would demand more of the ball than Walker does at this stage of Walkers development.

The more pressing concern is Walker's defensive workload in games and the impact this has on the offensive part of his game and his ability to back up week to week in the grind of a NRL Season

Walker vs Sharks - 30 tackles and 8 missed tackles compared to Hynes 17 tackles and 1 missed tackle.

The opposing teams will continue to target him in defence and work him over to limit his impact in offense.

Going forward Walker is signed to the end of 2025 and no doubt the Bronco's will be in the market for him come November 1 2024 as Reynolds current Broncos contract expires at the end of 2024

Keary is signed to the end of 2024 which one would say will be his last - I assume they have a plan in whom will be the 5/8 in 2025.

One thing they need to do is extend Sandon Smith and sign Tyler Moriarty and Thomas Deakin to longer deals than 1 year contracts

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
          With Keary the Senior player he would demand more of the ball than Walker does at this stage of Walkers development.

The more pressing concern is Walker's defensive workload in games and the impact this has on the offensive part of his game and his ability to back up week to week in the grind of a NRL Season

Walker vs Sharks - 30 tackles and 8 missed tackles compared to Hynes 17 tackles and 1 missed tackle.

The opposing teams will continue to target him in defence and work him over to limit his impact in offense.

Going forward Walker is signed to the end of 2025 and no doubt the Bronco's will be in the market for him come November 1 2024 as Reynolds current Broncos contract expires at the end of 2024

Keary is signed to the end of 2024 which one would say will be his last - I assume they have a plan in whom will be the 5/8 in 2025.

One thing they need to do is extend Sandon Smith and sign Tyler Moriarty and Thomas Deakin to longer deals than 1 year contracts
          I'm okay with re-signing these 3 but realistically only 1 could possibly become a regular fixture in FG at the roosters. I think we need to go to market to replace Keary when he decides to call time. At this stage I can't think of any potential future signing that would be a good long term partner to Sammy other than Burton (pretty sure the dogs have signed him long term) or Manu (but needs to develop a kicking game between now and then).

Comment

If Walker can’t learn anything from Cronk then he should probably give the game away.

No idea what happens behind closed doors obviously, but to my eyes Walker’s development over the last couple seasons has been almost 100% focused on his defensive fundamentals. And he has improved massively in that area.

game management and decision making I expect to start getting better over the next couple seasons

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

This insight is troubling, and explains a lot.

They’re not going to stop running at the small body, and it’s killing his attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                Nah, i think sammy believes keary is the senior so hence takes a step back?
                Kind of agree Sur, good call. Tough as a youngster to be telling Jazz, Lodge, Rads and Cheese what to do though.

Comment

Walker still young so I won't be too harsh on him. My only annoyance is Walker and Keary both have decent leg speed, yet slugs like Hastings and Hutch can kick 10-20m further than them. It is clearly not leg speed that is the issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X