Is Walker a half or 5/8th long term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Walker a half or 5/8th long term

Not sure I know the answer but what type of half compliments Walker? We can all agree we hope he is a long term Rooster, but would he play better with an organizing half back and play the running, eyes up forty of a 5/8th or can he develop into an organizing half but does this stifle his natural instinct ?
    Is the answer also influenced by how Manu goes. If he is the long term 5/8th this means Walker needs to be an organizing half .

Interesting times ahead

Walker is a halfback, a brilliant one, we need to make adjustments to play a style that capitalises on his talents, not turn him into a block playing robot.

Comment

His our long term halfback, this drop is definitely for the long term good, at his current age if you don’t address the flaws and issues in his game they will become habits that stay with him later in his career... better to address it now instead of just ignoring them... his a rare talent and I assume Robbo and him are on the same page and he would be taking this as a way to improve.
      My Roosters Channel - youtube.com/IRoostermanI
      My Gaming Channel - youtube.com/xIVERTiiGOIx

Comment

Once Sam adds 5-10kg to his frame and gets his head around when to pull the trigger and when to game manage/play percentages, we will be looking at a generational number 7.

Comment

What are his current flaws?

Last season I would’ve said his defence and long range kicking game. Tbh I thought both have drastically improved this season.

Comment

Half back, i have enjoyed watching his game evolve over the last two years, i like how he backs himself even if some of the things he tries don't always come off. Sort of reminds me watching Kevin Hastings develop into a top flight half back after Beetson gave Horrie the half back job in mid 1977, watching Hasting develop from 1977-79 and even then he was switched to 5/8 for a few games when Ken Wright came in 1979 then to become the top line half back in 1980 he was, it is all reminding me of what Walker is going through right now.

Comment

IMO Walker as an organising halfback is a few years off and to ask or expect him to be that now goes against his natural instincts and runs the risk of stalling his development. Some have compared and expect him to be as good as Langer, yet Langer wasn't an organising half to start. He was fortunate to play inside Lewis who was the organiser which allowed Langer to play his instinctive game. His organisational game was learnt from Lewis and he maintained his natural game along with this. At this stage of his career, Walker needs an organiser at 5/8 and he doesn't have that with either Keary or Manu. How that's fixed, I don't know because no-one we have on the books at the moment fits the bill.

Comment

It will still be an issue going forward as either Keary or Walker has to take ownership of the controlling /organising role in their halves combo.- In reality it is too late for Keary to change so it will have to be Walker being developed to play this role.

Keary has one year to run on his current contract (2024)

If they decide not to go down that path then they will need either a 7 or 6 for 2025 who can play this controlling/organising role depending on what position Walker will play.

Internally apart from the Hutchinator there is Sandon Smith who is a controlling and organising half who can pay 5/8 as well.

A Sam Walker/Sandon Smith or Sandon Smith/ Sam Walker Combo could work - Not sure that Sandon will be hanging around till 2025 though for his chance at NRL - be plenty of clubs looking at him

Walker needs to put on some bulk for sure if what is on the Roosters site is correct

Walker is 183 cm and 78 kg's

Some of his contemporaries

Hughes is 183 cm and 90 kg's
                Cleary is 182 cm and 92 kg's
                Moses is 182 cm and 85 kg's
                DCE is 183 cm and 85 kg's
                Ilias is 184 cm and 85 kg's
                Hunt is 178 cm and 88 kg's

Certainly the spine as they call it in Tedesco/Keary/Walker and B Smith are under performing. They need to be firing in offense to generate the point scoring opportunities.

Brandon Smith will never be an 80 minute player unless he drops kg's and improves his fitness and stamina.

B Smith is 94 kg's where as Cook/Grant/Mahoney for instance are 86 kgs's - 8 kg's might not sound a lot but it does have an impact on players in certain position to be able to play consistently for 80 minutes week in week out.

B Smith is certainly prone to errors when under fatigue - 50 or so minutes would be around the optimum playing time for maximum impact for B Smith if he stays at the 94 kg range.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                  It will still be an issue going forward as either Keary or Walker has to take ownership of the controlling /organising role in their halves combo.- In reality it is too late for Keary to change so it will have to be Walker being developed to play this role.

Keary has one year to run on his current contract (2024)

If they decide not to go down that path then they will need either a 7 or 6 for 2025 who can play this controlling/organising role depending on what position Walker will play.

Internally apart from the Hutchinator there is Sandon Smith who is a controlling and organising half who can pay 5/8 as well.

A Sam Walker/Sandon Smith or Sandon Smith/ Sam Walker Combo could work - Not sure that Sandon will be hanging around till 2025 though for his chance at NRL - be plenty of clubs looking at him

Walker needs to put on some bulk for sure if what is on the Roosters site is correct

Walker is 183 cm and 78 kg's

Some of his contemporaries

Hughes is 183 cm and 90 kg's
                  Cleary is 182 cm and 92 kg's
                  Moses is 182 cm and 85 kg's
                  DCE is 183 cm and 85 kg's
                  Ilias is 184 cm and 85 kg's
                  Hunt is 178 cm and 88 kg's

Certainly the spine as they call it in Tedesco/Keary/Walker and B Smith are under performing. They need to be firing in offense to generate the point scoring opportunities.

Brandon Smith will never be an 80 minute player unless he drops kg's and improves his fitness and stamina.

B Smith is 94 kg's where as Cook/Grant/Mahoney for instance are 86 kgs's - 8 kg's might not sound a lot but it does have an impact on players in certain position to be able to play consistently for 80 minutes week in week out.

B Smith is certainly prone to errors when under fatigue - 50 or so minutes would be around the optimum playing time for maximum impact for B Smith if he stays at the 94 kg range.
                  I hope young Sandon gets a run soon, he looks promising. I'd have him halves cover ahead of your man Hutch. Yes yes I know Hutch 'covers' other positions, like a wet king size blanket.

Comment

I’d be surprised if he was 183 cms…

Comment

Originally posted by Monaco's Fan Club View Post
                      I’d be surprised if he was 183 cms…
                      Dr Google says 1.83.

Comment

He's a halfback but a young one, he's only 20 and is already a quality first grade half. Was sad to see him dropped this week.

Comment

Sandon Smith is a proper halfback...

Comment

Originally posted by MKCS View Post
                            He's a halfback but a young one, he's only 20 and is already a quality first grade half. Was sad to see him dropped this week.
                            Agree. He is a talented FG half and there is a shortage of those at the moment. He will be wasted playing reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Qld Chook View Post
                              What are his current flaws?

Last season I would’ve said his defence and long range kicking game. Tbh I thought both have drastically improved this season.
                              Agree on defence. Long kicking game isn’t good, but that will be helped when he gets a bit bigger
                              EASTS TO WIN!

Comment

Working...
                              X