Teddy Getting in the Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teddy Getting in the Way

A lot of focus this week on our outside backs (namely Manu) getting their hands on the ball.

Not sure if its been overlooked or underplayed but one major reason they haven't been able to get the ball is due to Teddy coming in thinking its under 12s and getting the ball first of the ruck and running around in circles trying to beat and fend off defenders.

Sure he beats a few defenders and causes trouble each time but 9 times out of 10 he ends up getting tacked not too far from where he gets the ball and the whole backline needs to quickly adjust.

We'll look better in attack if he can chime into the backline more like a lot of other fullbacks.

Smith will take time to gel with Teddy if at all. But all the experts on here said he was a top hooker. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by rcptn View Post
      Smith will take time to gel with Teddy if at all. But all the experts on here said he was a top hooker. Time will tell.
      He was Dally M hooker of the year FFS. He has proven he IS a top hooker, regardless of what the Pen thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooko View Post
        A lot of focus this week on our outside backs (namely Manu) getting their hands on the ball.

Not sure if its been overlooked or underplayed but one major reason they haven't been able to get the ball is due to Teddy coming in thinking its under 12s and getting the ball first of the ruck and running around in circles trying to beat and fend off defenders.

Sure he beats a few defenders and causes trouble each time but 9 times out of 10 he ends up getting tacked not too far from where he gets the ball and the whole backline needs to quickly adjust.

We'll look better in attack if he can chime into the backline more like a lot of other fullbacks.

I agree with this. I love Teddy BUT we now call him spin cycle is our house hold. I also don't think he's the best leader when things are on tilt. Apologies if this offends you.

Sometimes less is more! Slater annoyed the sh*t out me but he knew exactly when to inject himself and when the ball needed to be shifted early to the edge strike centres.

Comment

I have been venting about Teddy and everything this poster has said since at least last season. I'm not even sure when this style of play from him began but its time he started playing like a normal fullback... organize and inject when appropriate.

Comment

Couldn’t agree more. He hogs possession, runs in circles, then gets tackled in almost the same spot. I’ve noticed a number times had he passed we were away.
            “Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead”- (Baha’u’llah)

Comment

that's teddy's style, he's like the tassie devil in the bugs bunny cartoons, an irresistible force. tomorrow joey at 5/8 will also play a similar unstructured style, but both players can be match winners - let them do their thing

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

I agree with this. I love Teddy BUT we now call him spin cycle is our house hold. I also don't think he's the best leader when things are on tilt. Apologies if this offends you.

Sometimes less is more! Slater annoyed the sh*t out me but he knew exactly when to inject himself and when the ball needed to be shifted early to the edge strike centres.
                His spinning is so easy to read he gets snuffed out by the opposition too easily. Same as our high kicks to Toups have now become ineffective. We are so lacking in creativity that other teams can nullify our attack even when we have multiple repeat sets.
                “Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead”- (Baha’u’llah)

Comment

Not sure if its been overlooked or underplayed but one major reason they haven't been able to get the ball is due to Teddy coming in thinking its under 12s...
                  Give Robbo a call mate, let him know Teddy's playing like a clueless 11yo

Comment

Agree 100% but nothing will come of it because the coaching staff cannot take constructive advice. They 'know it all'.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

I like the nick name 'spin cycle' because that is what he does again and again! Hopefully he plays smarter and soon.

Comment

Teddy was so much more effective when he was always running support, sniffing around the ruck for an offload.

I agree with comments that his running game often breaks any attacking structure we have.

much more effective playing direct like Jared with a Q.P.T.B and scoot out of dummy half.

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post

He was Dally M hooker of the year FFS. He has proven he IS a top hooker, regardless of what the Pen thinks.
                          Rather have Verrills at half the price and a firing backline like we had in the last 10 weeks of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterchook View Post

His spinning is so easy to read he gets snuffed out by the opposition too easily. Same as our high kicks to Toups have now become ineffective. We are so lacking in creativity that other teams can nullify our attack even when we have multiple repeat sets.
                            Have you noticed how pretty much everytime blockers are being allowed to get in Toops' way

Comment

Getting in the way of who exactly?

manu? ****ing Sualli? Neither of those 2 have looked remotely dangerous all year and have had plenty of opportunity to contribute. Manu looked awful when he got his run at fullback.

teddy is the best player on the team by some margin, but for some reason we don’t have a single set play that involves trying to get him some space to work. THAT is why he comes in looking to generate something himself, because if he didn’t he’d never see the ball

Comment

Working...
                              X