My take on O'Sullivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on O'Sullivan

OK he discovered Folou and Inglis, you know what, I think he just got lucky.
    So far his efforts in discovering the next big thing at the Roosters have come up empty. The Roosters club have been sucked in by his hype and now we are seeing the results. It's like when Artie discovered the next Alfie "Sam Obst". Let's face it when it comes to identifying talent it's very much hit and miss. I hope O'Sullivan does "discover" the next big thing for the Roosters but if he doesn't I won't be surprised. As far as him being some kind of guru I think that it's a load of rubbish.

Didn't he also discover

Slater
    Smith
    Cronk
    Johnson
    White
    Hoffman
    King

POS obviously knows what he is doing
    We just need to have patience

Comment

He's recruited arguably the best forward in the NYC.
      Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
        He's recruited arguably the best forward in the NYC.
        I agree mate JWH imho will be a permanent 1st grader next year barring injury

Comment

Also remember, that because of him, we have now tied up:

- Frank-Paul Nuuausala (2011)
          - Tom Symonds (2011)
          - Mitchell Pearce (2013)
          - Mitchell Aubusson (2011)
          - Shaun Kenny-Dowall (2011)
          - Sam Perrett (2012)
          - Setaimata Sa (2012 - though rumor is he wants out?)
          - Nate Myles (2012)
          - Anthony Cherrington (not sure)
          - Ben Jones (2011)
          - Ryan Williamson (2011)
          - Jared Warea-Hargreaves (2012)
          - Boyd Cordner (2012)

...all on long-term contracts with the club. Willie Mason, James Aubusson, Jake Friend, Sisa Waqa, Lopini Paea and Nick Kouparitsas are the notable players off contract next year, and I am not sure whether Braith is off contract in 2010 or 2011, but that is a great list of young talent that O'Sullivan, in his time at the club, has secured for our team. Rest assured, I feel that Tupou would have stayed too, if Mason was not signed before O'Sullivan's tenure began - from what I have heard, Tupou wanted to stay, and O'Sullivan wanted him to stay, but due to Mason's backended contract, we were left with little room under the cap to compete with the other offers.

Okay, so O'Sullivan's attempts to unearth miracle players with unorthodox signings such as Albert Hopoate, Tevita Folau and Sisa Waqa didn't really pay off, but at least he KNOWS we needed a flying winger to replace Amos. I also know for a fact, that Tuigamala was NOT signed until we missed out on both David Mead and Kevin Gordon of the Gold Coast Titans - we offered them larger paychecks, but they stayed at Titans due to club culture and loyalty. It was only after these players were looked over, that we were left with only two wingers from the NYC that performed relatively well and were to be too old for the competition next year - Sonny Tuigamala (Panthers), and Mason Pure (Bulldogs). Sonny struggled in our first grade team, but Mason Pure is now struggling in the Bundaberg Cup. I am sure that over the coming off-season, O'Sullivan is going to look through the NYC again, for some fast outside backs like Jharal Yow Yeh (Broncos) and Kane Morgan (Souths).

Have faith in Peter. People seem to seriously underrate him, but his youth policy is a hundred times better than the stop-gap signing regime we had under Stuart and Anderson. We are not seeing any more signings along the lines of Glenn Hall, Charlie Tonga, Chris Beattie, Willie Brown, Lafi Manua, John Doyle or Mark Edmondson. He is locking up our talented youth long term, with a few bargain-barrel players like Kouparitsas and Conn being picked up too. The problem now is the coaching staff...

Comment

well said Mack

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster Cogburn View Post
              OK he discovered Folou and Inglis, you know what, I think he just got lucky.
              So far his efforts in discovering the next big thing at the Roosters have come up empty. The Roosters club have been sucked in by his hype and now we are seeing the results. It's like when Artie discovered the next Alfie "Sam Obst". Let's face it when it comes to identifying talent it's very much hit and miss. I hope O'Sullivan does "discover" the next big thing for the Roosters but if he doesn't I won't be surprised. As far as him being some kind of guru I think that it's a load of rubbish.
              Coggie,
              A. He's only been here a year or 2.

B. Will you still think the same if he announces Carney?
              Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
                Coggie,
                A. He's only been here a year or 2.

B. Will you still think the same if he announces Carney?
                Melon he didn't discover Carney.

Comment

Melon he didn't discover Carney.
                  recruitment isnt just about discovery its also about signing and retaining the right players which apart from releasing Tamou, I cant fault Osullivan at all so far. I agree with what Mack said as well and think also he needs to be given some time. He is experimenting big time on unearthing the next big thing by bringing across a couple of south africas brightest prospects and i think once players like williamson, moeakiola and blair hit first grade, our opinions of him will change.

Comment

I don't think Coggy put much thought into this thread

Comment

Originally posted by roz View Post
                      recruitment isnt just about discovery its also about signing and retaining the right players which apart from releasing Tamou, I cant fault Osullivan at all so far. I agree with what Mack said as well and think also he needs to be given some time. He is experimenting big time on unearthing the next big thing by bringing across a couple of south africas brightest prospects and i think once players like williamson, moeakiola and blair hit first grade, our opinions of him will change.
                      I agree, Tamou was definitely one I would have kept. He has a bit more go in him than Stanley Waqa. Winterstein is good but not great, but I think Tamou has huge talent and a lot of mongrel too.

Luckily, Maliota is pretty damn good too. Tough and aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
                        I agree, Tamou was definitely one I would have kept. He has a bit more go in him than Stanley Waqa. Winterstein is good but not great, but I think Tamou has huge talent and a lot of mongrel too.

Luckily, Maliota is pretty damn good too. Tough and aggressive.
                        btw, its nice to finally meet this mack character that everyone seems to compare me to over on the members wall and im starting to see why. The amount of threads I have made over the last couple of years on junior talent and retention is countless so its good to know that its not only me and scruffy that take a really deep interest in juniors and the development of our side.

Comment

Originally posted by rcptn View Post
                          I don't think Coggy put much thought into this thread
                          It's simple really, O'Sullivan isn't the messiah that everyone thought he was.

Comment

It's simple really, O'Sullivan isn't the messiah that everyone thought he was.
                            what your saying is that after two years you expect to have a team that took osullivan around 5 plus to build? he has been here 2 years and is doing a bloody good job imo. Signing some talented youngsters in the hope of unearthing the next big thing and signing some fringe first graders whgo with a bit of time can become strong first graders and investing in a strong retention program signing a marquee player like carney only when and where we need it. he is also the right sort of marquee player as he can change a game on his own. Id argue that most frontrowers cant so he is definatley making some wise investments

Comment

Originally posted by roz View Post
                              what your saying is that after two years you expect to have a team that took osullivan around 5 plus to build? he has been here 2 years and is doing a bloody good job imo. Signing some talented youngsters in the hope of unearthing the next big thing and signing some fringe first graders whgo with a bit of time can become strong first graders and investing in a strong retention program signing a marquee player like carney only when and where we need it. he is also the right sort of marquee player as he can change a game on his own. Id argue that most frontrowers cant so he is definatley making some wise investments
                              If anyone thinks that he'll turn us into another Melbourne they're kidding themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X