Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No doubt it’s going to be a tough year now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No doubt it’s going to be a tough year now.

About 5 years ago I used to write on this board that I doubted the overwhelming majority on here and threw some doubt towards Trent.
    why?
    Because he has always coached teams that were brimming with rep players and talent.
    It’s not that he wasn’t effective……but one year we had injuries and we finished at the tail and there other years that we probably underperformed slightly with the incredible squad that we had.

Two premiership wins in a row and quite rightly I back-pedalled on some of those statements.
    I still had my reservations but a couple of things were apparent about Trent

1. He is an amazing communicator
    2. He coaches people not just players.
    3. He handles Nick Politis exceptionally well.
    4. He knew how to get the best out of a team of superstars.

Now we are faced over the last few years with a team that has maybe 4 great players, a few highly rated developed players that haven’t really kicked on and delivered like we would have liked, and a few aging ex superstars who are past there use by date namely JWH and Tupou

A coach is going to earn his keep with that squad.
    Sadly, this year Robbo hasn’t and he won’t.
    There are just too many deficiencies in the blend of the squad and we are nowhere near contenders.
    It’s a rebuild…..cut the dead wood and don’t resign them.

On a side note, I think Egan Butcher has been someone we can claim as a true clubman. I like the way he plays. Conversely,
    I watched Suali play a couple of matches live and he is hesitating at the point of contact since he signed that contract. You can’t have guys who are holding back playing in your team.It’s cancerous.
    barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Agree on everything except Toups.
    FVCK CANCER

Comment

what a bunch of pussies. we're 5 and 5 and we're writing off the season?

Comment

This is ridiculous. Robinson won three premierships in 7 seasons. Yes the teams were talented but Bennet coached teams with half the Australian side in them and didn’t win every single year, ditto Craig Bellamy who never managed to do back to back. Winning the premiership is incredibly difficult, no matter how talented the team. The idea that Robinson is some talentless bum who was handed premiership winning teams is propagated but people who hate the Roosters and think that we cheat to win anything.

That said I don’t think the team is responding to Robinson anymore and it’s probably time for a change.

Comment

I woke up.this morning and remembered how far Robbo took us in 2021. He should've got the Dally M for coach of the year, but missed out to Bellamy who won 19 games straight. That was a tough year but he proved he can win games without the superstar squad. So I don't buy the argument that Robbo needs 17 rep players every week to win BS, or that he can't coach.

You call JWH and Toops "ageing ex-superstars." I call them club legends who are still way better than the other options we currently have. On your point about "cutting the dead wood,"JWH and Toops are still international players FFS.

The problems we have are the basics in attack and defence haven't been executed properly during our losses this season, (and that 2nd half on ANZAC day). 1. Either the boys aren't attacking as a unit or when they get into an attacking position on the field they make a mistake.

2. In defence.... well just look how easily the line was opened up in the final 10 mins of both halves. You don't need to be an expert to work.out how to fix those defensive issues.

I'll give you the some players are outta position. JS needs to go back to the wing. Toops needs to return from injury. Manu back to being the world's best centre. Walker back to #7. The problem here are simple fixes. The real issue for me is that some players (not from.a lack of effort) are simply outta form. But that doesn't mean dropping them is the answer.

Footy is a simple game and it doesn't need to be overcomplicated. If I was Robbo I'd start fixing these little effort areas first. Than the rest will fall into.place. We will still play finals this year. And its not too late to turn things around
          Last edited by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva; 05-13-2023, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
            what a bunch of pussies. we're 5 and 5 and we're writing off the season?
            will a 50% win rate get you in the 8 ?..... I didn't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by worldbe3 View Post
              This is ridiculous. Robinson won three premierships in 7 seasons. Yes the teams were talented but Bennet coached teams with half the Australian side in them and didn’t win every single year, ditto Craig Bellamy who never managed to do back to back. Winning the premiership is incredibly difficult, no matter how talented the team. The idea that Robinson is some talentless bum who was handed premiership winning teams is propagated but people who hate the Roosters and think that we cheat to win anything.

That said I don’t think the team is responding to Robinson anymore and it’s probably time for a change.

what makes you think that they aren't responding to him anymore?

Comment

I agree, time for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva View Post
                  I woke up.this morning and remembered how far Robbo took us in 2021. He should've got the Dally M for coach of the year, but missed out to Bellamy who won 19 games straight. That was a tough year but he proved he can win games without the superstar squad. So I don't buy the argument that Robbo needs 17 rep players every week to win BS, or that he can't coach.

You call JWH and Toops "ageing ex-superstars." I call them club legends who are still way better than the other options we currently have. On your point about "cutting the dead wood,"JWH and Toops are still international players FFS.

The problems we have are the basics in attack and defence haven't been executed properly during our losses this season, (and that 2nd half on ANZAC day). 1. Either the boys aren't attacking as a unit or when they get into an attacking position on the field they make a mistake.

2. In defence.... well just look how easily the line was opened up in the final 10 mins of both halves. You don't need to be an expert to work.out how to fix those defensive issues.

I'll give you the some players are outta position. JS needs to go back to the wing. Toops needs to return from injury. Manu back to being the world's best centre. Walker back to #7. The problem here are simple fixes. The real issue for me is that some players (not from.a lack of effort) are simply outta form. But that doesn't mean dropping them is the answer.

Footy is a simple game and it doesn't need to be overcomplicated. If I was Robbo I'd start fixing these little effort areas first. the rest will fall into.place. We will still play finals this year. And its not too late to turn things around
                  To right just start by picking guys in their right positions and this can all change in a week

Comment

Our team is not even old
                    we only have Jared -34
                    Tupou - 32
                    Keary - 31
                    teddy - 30

guys 30 or older in the 17

in 2021 we had the morris bros, friend, lui and also cordner (allthough Boyd was not old)

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva View Post

what makes you think that they aren't responding to him anymore?
                      The team has regressed every single year since 2020. Finishing 4th, 5th and 6th respectively. Currently they look like they might struggle to make the 8. Their attack is the second worst in the comp, second only to the Tigers and their defence is lousy too. I’d say the proof is in the pudding

Comment

The team has regressed every single year since 2020. Finishing 4th, 5th and 6th respectively. Currently they look like they might struggle to make the 8. Their attack is the second worst in the comp, second only to the Tigers and their defence is lousy too. I’d say the proof is in the pudding
                        However in 2021 we finished with 5 of our top 17 playing so this would be considered an over achievement - but also how bad the comp was
                        if we had our best 17 in 2021 we would have won easily
                        the Morris bros were the best winger and centre in the comp until injury struck

si I think it’s hard to compare 2021 but with the cattle we. Had left we overachieved

Comment

Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                          About 5 years ago I used to write on this board that I doubted the overwhelming majority on here and threw some doubt towards Trent.
                          why?
                          Because he has always coached teams that were brimming with rep players and talent.
                          It’s not that he wasn’t effective……but one year we had injuries and we finished at the tail and there other years that we probably underperformed slightly with the incredible squad that we had.

Two premiership wins in a row and quite rightly I back-pedalled on some of those statements.
                          I still had my reservations but a couple of things were apparent about Trent

1. He is an amazing communicator
                          2. He coaches people not just players.
                          3. He handles Nick Politis exceptionally well.
                          4. He knew how to get the best out of a team of superstars.

Now we are faced over the last few years with a team that has maybe 4 great players, a few highly rated developed players that haven’t really kicked on and delivered like we would have liked, and a few aging ex superstars who are past there use by date namely JWH and Tupou

A coach is going to earn his keep with that squad.
                          Sadly, this year Robbo hasn’t and he won’t.
                          There are just too many deficiencies in the blend of the squad and we are nowhere near contenders.
                          It’s a rebuild…..cut the dead wood and don’t resign them.

On a side note, I think Egan Butcher has been someone we can claim as a true clubman. I like the way he plays. Conversely,
                          I watched Suali play a couple of matches live and he is hesitating at the point of contact since he signed that contract. You can’t have guys who are holding back playing in your team.It’s cancerous.
                          Is this one of those "I told you so" threads ?

I remember our debates from back then, and as I recall you questioned Robbos ability to get new players like Cronk and Teddy to gel with the team. The back to back comps put that to bed.

Comment

In 2021 we overachieved considering the injuries we had. 5th was a solid effort. 2022 we charged back into the finals off the back of 8 straight wins, and then got dudded by injuries and sin bins in the semi against souffs, where the ref was their most valuable on field.

Claiming the team isn't responding is a big call to make. You think injuries, defensive lapses, penalties, 6As and drop balls are all because Robbo has lost the squad? Solely blaming Robbo is an easy cop out. How about the players take a bit more ownership for the mistakes they make and how they are executing on the field.

Hook, O'Brien, Barrett and Hollbrook are examples of coaches who can't get the best outta their players. If you were to claim that their teams weren't responding to them, I'd agree with you. If the players didn't want to be coached by Robbo you'd have rumours of unrest and stone kicking. We are the Roosters. If Robbo was the problem he would've already been given the boot.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post

Is this one of those "I told you so" threads ?

I remember our debates from back then, and as I recall you questioned Robbos ability to get new players like Cronk and Teddy to gel with the team. The back to back comps put that to bed.
                              honestly, can you read?
                              He is a bloody good coach but has never had to coach a crap team. EVER!

barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X