Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chooks clear decks to sign another star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O`donnell is that tough nut experienced forward we are needing,hope we get him!
    Even at the age of 32,he can have the same effect on our younger guys ala players like Crocker and Moz.
    Big signing if we manage to pull it off!

Comment

Not at the expense of the 3 quoted !!
      Originally posted by lydon:275985
      O`donnell is that tough nut experienced forward we are needing,hope we get him!
      Even at the age of 32,he can have the same effect on our younger guys ala players like Crocker and Moz.
      Big signing if we manage to pull it off!

Comment

Originally posted by Le Coq View Post
        Not at the expense of the 3 quoted !!
        I totally agree,if you read the initial post it doesnt mention a 3 for 1 swap.
        I dount the Club is silly enought to release 3 guys for 1,wont happen!

Comment

No reason Taka should go, unless he isn't putting in pre season.
          The others have no reason to stay, they have no future in the NRL game, they are good NSW Cup players.
          Last edited by Matty_C; 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM.

Comment

No thanks. O'Donnell is a liability. These days so many trys are as a direct result of giving away Penaltys. As we have found out regularly over the last 2 year's.

O'Donnell is ill disciplined and gets hammered by refs around the ruck and for high tackles.

I would hate to lose Taka. I think he could learn a lot from SBW.
            Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
              That's the voice or reason? The OP clearly says 'or' not and.

We are not releasing 3 players, nor did anyone suggest we are.
              I am glad I am not alone. How people read that we are considering releasing all 3 plays for LOD, I will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo:275992

I am glad I am not alone. How people read that we are considering releasing all 3 plays for LOD, I will never know.
                I never read the article.

I was going off the original post of the thread.

**** you're a petty little sook, 6.

Comment

i think its a stupid move and not buying into it
                  " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

Comment

Official article
                    Sydney Roosters in bold bid to sign former Test and Origin backrower Luke O'Donnell
                    by: James Hooper From: The Sunday Telegraph February 03, 2013 12:00AM

Luke O'Donnell may sign for the Roosters if Tom Symonds, Anthony Cherrington or Brad Takairangi are shown the door. Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE Sydney Roosters are on the cusp of landing another major signing by recruiting former NSW and Test backrower Luke O'Donnell to Bondi Junction.

Less than a month after finalising a four-year deal for NSW centre Michael Jennings to switch from Penrith, the Roosters are positioned to land another big name.

In order for the O'Donnell deal to get the green-light from the NRL, the Roosters need to move at least two fringe backrowers.

CLICK HERE TO START PICKING YOUR SUPERCOACH SQUAD NOW

Tom Symonds, Brad Takairangi and Anthony Cherrington have been identified as players who could make way for the 32-year-old, with club officials discussing the possibility of loaning local junior Symonds to a UK Super League club for one season before he returns in 2014.

Advertisement

Talks of the O'Donnell development emerged among a host of NRL stars who attended last Wednesday night's world title fight at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, won by IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale.

Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan reluctantly confirmed the Roosters' interest in O'Donnell but stressed the deal was far from being finalised.

"We're interested if a lot of things could happen, but it's a long way off happening," O'Sullivan said.

The addition of O'Donnell would give the Roosters one of the NRL's most potent forward packs.

The former NSW and Australian backrower would add the perfect element of experience and hard edge to the Bondi Junction club's otherwise youthful squad.

With a backrow rotation consisting of Sonny Bill Williams, Boyd Cordner, Aiden Guerra, Frank-Paul Nuuausala and Mitch Aubusson, O'Donnell would play a tight forward role similar to the way Michael Crocker is employed at arch-rivals South Sydney.

The Sunday Telegraph understands O'Donnell has requested a release from English Super League club Huddersfield, where he has one-year to run on his contract with an option for 2014.

After spending six weeks in Australia over Christmas, it is understood that O'Donnell and his young family have a preference to return home.

O'Donnell joined Huddersfield in 2011 after 178 NRL games with Wests Tigers and North Queensland, five State of Origin appearances for NSW and 11 Test matches for Australia.

The uncompromising backrower missed the majority of last season after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction and has only recently returned to full training.

O'Donnell's agent Wayne Beavis confirmed that a number of NRL clubs had expressed interest.

"At the moment he's contracted with Huddersfield and he's preparing to play a game this weekend," Beavis said.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport...-1226567370991

Comment

I think this would be a mistake, O'Donnell is too old, too injury prone and gives away too many penalties. We don't need him as we are a young team on the rise and I think he would be dud signing who would take a place in the starting line up or the bench at the expense of a Guerra, Cordner, Evans or someone else that deserves to be there. No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Greedy666:275995
                        Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo:275992

I never read the article.

I was going off the original post of the thread.

**** you're a petty little sook, 6.
                        Neither did I. Like you I read the original post.

You still not getting this? OP stands for opening post.

Comment

He played in the backrow this morning for Huddersfield, they smashed the Saints by 40 points. He's played a lot of front row whilst over there though so I assume that's why we're looking at him.

In 2011 he played 15 games before he injured himself and had to get surgery on a damaged cruciate knee ligament. He missed the opening few games of 2012 and played 10 games before sustaining another injury in the back half of 2012.

At 32 years of age there's got to be serious questions over whether or not his body is up to the pace and physical requirements of the NRL.

The only way I see this being a remotely good deal is if we loan Symonds to Huddersfield to clear room in the cap and sign O'donnell for a relatively cheap salary. Off the bench as a prop he may offer some good aggression and experience.

Comment

He would be a great addition to the pack and would give Trent the depth and intimidation factor that all the top packs have. I do agree that his issue with his knees could be the problem but that's the risks every club faces, I say roll the dice.

Comment

Originally posted by Greedy666 View Post
                              I know the club has made some questionable decisions over the years, but surely they aren't that stupid.

Why would you swap 3 blokes in their early 20's for 1 who is 32 and near the end?

It just doesn't make sense.

Oh that's right, it's the tele, forget about it.
                              Yep I cannot understand why we would do that as well, especially with our"youth policy". If we had to loose 1 of these guys my vote would be Symonds, I just don't think he will ever make it as a regular 1st grader, and we need to give cherro a chance.

Comment

He played in the backrow this morning for Huddersfield, they smashed the Saints by 40 points. He's played a lot of front row whilst over there though so I assume that's why we're looking at him.

In 2011 he played 15 games before he injured himself and had to get surgery on a damaged cruciate knee ligament. He missed the opening few games of 2012 and played 10 games before sustaining another injury in the back half of 2012.

At 32 years of age there's got to be serious questions over whether or not his body is up to the pace and physical requirements of the NRL.

The only way I see this being a remotely good deal is if we loan Symonds to Huddersfield to clear room in the cap and sign O'donnell for a relatively cheap salary. Off the bench as a prop he may offer some good aggression and experience.
                                would be nice to loan mini out for sam tomkins and friend for sinfield.

Comment

Working...
                                X